HKG - Hong Kong Chek Lap Kok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rejuvenated View Post
    We arrived earlier in the afternoon at around just past 2pm. While we queued at the resident's line, I took a peak look at the other side and the visitor's queue was stretched out.

Should add BTW that the APM that transports you during departure from the single digit gates/Gates 15-19 area to the far end gates where the terminal branches out into only goes one way (the APM going in the other direction is only accessible to arriving/transiting passengers). So once you're at that far end, you cannot go back to the gates near security/immigration by the underground train. You can pay for a buggy service for approximately $50 HKD to transport you faster should you decide not to walk back.
    If you are fast, the walk only takes about 5 minutes thanks to travellators.
    zxcvbn

Comment

You have to be super fast (at the point of running pace) and expend considerable energy to have a chance in making it from the furthest gates (i.e. 50, 70) in 5 minutes to get back to let's say Gate 1. Just being normal fast isn't going to get you that quickly even with travelators.

It takes me an average of 10 minutes through fast walking with travelators to go from the Pier to the entrance of the Wing.
      Last edited by Rejuvenated; 22 October 2008, 07:08 AM.
      My Past, Present, Future Flights (Flights from March 2007 to Present to Future)

Comment

Originally posted by Rejuvenated View Post
        You have to be super fast (at the point of running pace) and expend considerable energy to have a chance in making it from the furthest gates (i.e. 50, 70) in 5 minutes to get back to let's say Gate 1. Just being normal fast isn't going to get you that quickly even with travelators.

It takes me an average of 10 minutes through fast walking with travelators to go from the Pier to the entrance of the Wing.
        I was referring to the middle of the Y shape concourse (ie, gate 21 to gate 34 area)
        zxcvbn

Comment

My only experience was 8 years ago, and while very good, I didn't appreciate runing around trying to find a shop to buy water from so I could take some "digestion meds" for almost an hour late night/early morning.....

I do hope provision for travellers who are about to evacuate has improved since then.
          There's a bit of a theme with my posts today, isn't there?
          If God had really intended men to fly, he'd make it easier to get to the airport.

Comment

Rejuvenated, with all the LAG rules, may I suggest a new subsection under "Any Restaurant/Fast Food worth dining at" called "Water Post-Security". I usually get a bottle from Watsons (can't exactly remember where it is located).

Remember that your bottle may get confiscated again during a jetway check if heading to the USA.
            zxcvbn

Comment

Just ran into the newly opened Prunier Caviar House outlet at HKG end of September. For now, they have a seafood bar only, retail may or may not come at a later stage. Anyway, this is just what HKG needed to become even more attractive as an aiport, IMHO.

For the AM/MPC members around here, one can also earn AsiaMiles for purchases of over 300 HKD.

Comment

Found this on HKG airport site and thought it may be handy to know .

Airport Ambassador
                Airport Ambassadors are stationed at high-traffic locations throughout the terminals to offer immediate assistance to passengers in need. Wearing a welcoming smile and easily recognisable uniform, they are always at your service.

The Airport Ambassador Programme (AAP) is designed to provide the best customer service to passengers and other visitors at Hong Kong International Airport (HKIA).

The AAP has enhanced customer service standards at HKIA. It also provides on-the-job training for youths, paving the way towards a fulfilling career. HKIA encourages students and senior citizens to join the programme as volunteers.

Offering a great opportunity to experience the airport and to meet people from all over the world, the AAP has already recruited more than 200 youth, student and senior ambassadors since the launch of programme in 2002.

Airport Ambassadors' duties include:
                Greeting passengers;
                Answering passenger enquiries and giving directions;
                Offering assistance to passengers in need;
                Promoting passenger safety; and
                Assisting at special events.
                Airport Ambassadors are committed to:
                Continuously improving customer service of the airport;
                Taking the initiative to assist passengers;
                Welcoming passengers with friendly smiles; and
                Promoting passenger safety.

Comment

Coming in from PVG on Dec 25 on CX 360 and departing to SIN on CX 715, which means i have a layover between 12ish and 20:00. How much transit time do I actually have? And by what time do I need to be back in the Airport?

My checked baggage will be checked through from PVG to SIN

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by SINFJ View Post
                    Coming in from PVG on Dec 25 on CX 360 and departing to SIN on CX 715, which means i have a layover between 12ish and 20:00. How much transit time do I actually have? And by what time do I need to be back in the Airport?

Thanks in advance.
                    Are you in business class?

Personally, I'd be a bit concerned about the date being December 25th. I don't know what this will do to taxi availability, etc. in Hong Kong.

Comment

Originally posted by SINFJ View Post

Thanks in advance.
                      Since, your bags are checked thru, the biggest potential time grabber is the immigration queues in HK. In the past, I have spent as much as 45mins waiting. Helps if you're a HK'er - shorter queues. I would estimate 30-60mins trying to get out of the airport. Forget the taxi, take the express train to HK - 30mins or so, with waiting time. Same sort of timings coming back. In between, enjoy your roast goose!

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                        Since, your bags are checked thru, the biggest potential time grabber is the immigration queues in HK. In the past, I have spent as much as 45mins waiting. Helps if you're a HK'er - shorter queues. I would estimate 30-60mins trying to get out of the airport. Forget the taxi, take the express train to HK - 30mins or so, with waiting time. Same sort of timings coming back. In between, enjoy your roast goose!
                        I am wondering if there is any way to cut queue at immigration and security if you gonna be late for your flight?

Alternatively, I think it is a good idea to use the immigration and security checkpoint at T2 instead of T1, esp when you do not have the HKIA card. T2 is almost always empty from my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by slacker View Post
                          I am wondering if there is any way to cut queue at immigration and security if you gonna be late for your flight?

Alternatively, I think it is a good idea to use the immigration and security checkpoint at T2 instead of T1, esp when you do not have the HKIA card. T2 is almost always empty from my experience.
                          You have to get to T2 then backtrack to T1 via the APM. Besides, departures are not as scary as arrivals.

Comment

As my question is still related to HKG, i'll ask here
                            I'm planning to book a 45 mins connection, from CX to MU. Arriving on CX780 from SUB at 13:50, and onward to MU204 to XIY at 14:35, will that be possible?

Thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by egondo View Post
                              As my question is still related to HKG, i'll ask here
                              I'm planning to book a 45 mins connection, from CX to MU. Arriving on CX780 from SUB at 13:50, and onward to MU204 to XIY at 14:35, will that be possible?

Thanks in advance
                              I think 45 min is not enough, not to mention connecting between 2 different airlines....

CX min connecting flight in HKGis 55minutes.

you better allow at least 2 hours when connecting betweem airlines. My tpe bound flight was delayed due to busy airport traffic. That flightdepart. Around 13xx....

So your incoming flight may also get delay due to busy traffic....
                              visit my blog

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                                Thanks for the Airport Guide, Rejuvenated.

If I'm meeting someone flying a different airline whose flight arrives within an hour or two of mine, what is the easiest meeting point to use landside?
                                Great information in this thread! Have the responses to this changed? I'll be in a similar situation, just four years later...and I'd be waiting for about three hours to surprise my SO. Any new places either air or landside?
                                /Desert Traveller

Comment

Working...
                                X