No announcement yet.

Turnaround info: MLE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jhm: From the research that I've done, you have to book a speedboat in advance (can be rather costly), and most resorts are not keen to organise one for 1AM onwards.

My flight lands at 22:00 (probably exit customs at 22:30) and it took a fair bit of persuasion to convince my accomodation off-Hulhule to confirm a boat to pick me up and even then I'll double and triple-reconfirm prior to flying before I go there mid-September as there are cases on Tripadvisor where people have been left hanging at the airport.

If I were only landside by 1AM, I would just do Hulhule for the night. If you're there for a longer stay, consider it a one-night transit. The prices also are reasonable compared to the majority of hotels/resorts.

Comment

Why are the hotels/resorts reluctant to pick up at that time of night, if that is when the flights arrive?

The flights to many south pacific islands arrive in the middle of the night and all the accommodation providers have transport ready to meet the flights because they are reliant on income from visitors. I would expect Maldives to be the same.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
        Thanks for the responses guys.

On another note: Anybody also done a turn in MLE?

MLE's not on the return checkin enabled list. Is there enough time to clear immigration and recheck-in or is there a transfer counter there?
        I have not done a MLE turn-around but I have landed in MLE.

You can clear immigration and customs in 5-10 mins flat. A quick walkout and left turn upon exit will take you departures. The only issue I see is that all departure pax are security screened (well, the baggage actually) prior to entering the pre-checkin departure lounge. This may take say 15mins depending on the no of flights departing that time of the day. Check in is quick and then go upstairs for immigration control and voila, you're in the departure lounge. Everthing is compact so you can do it.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
          A slightly different question:

My flight arrives MLE around 1am. Apart from the Hulhule hotel (which is expensive and has some very dodgy reviews on Tripadvisor, e.g. a toilet running all night! ) located on the same island as the airport,
          Hulhule is quite alright as it has a nice breakfast spread, reasonable views and the rooms adequate and clean. However , it's expensive for what the room is worth. Let me know if you would like pics of the place. The hotel is walkable (10mins) but the hotel has a courtesy transport provided. I arrived not knowing that I would be picked up and there was a hotel staff holding up a sign with my name - nice touch.

jhm - Male reminds me of a certain place in Central America and only one thing in my mind ...

Comment

Thanks for the info, Kyo and SQFAN.

The Hulhule is about $250 for the night compared to less than $100 in Male so if a transfer is possible past 1am and it's not an unreasonable cost, it's worth looking into.

I e-mailed a local TA - http://www.vermillionmaldives.com/ - who seem to have indicated that it is possible to stay in Male that night. They've asked me to contact them again next week when they'll have prices for Male hotels for the X'mas/New Year peiod.

I'll update when I hear more.

Comment

Another question about turnaround ... I am flying NRT-SIN-MLE-SIN. How do I deal with my luggage at NRT?

Ask for the luggage to be sent to the first stop only - SIN? Or let it travel with me to MLE and back to SIN again?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                Another question about turnaround ... I am flying NRT-SIN-MLE-SIN. How do I deal with my luggage at NRT?

Ask for the luggage to be sent to the first stop only - SIN? Or let it travel with me to MLE and back to SIN again?
                Unless you want to increase the chances of winning in the Amex lost luggage lottery, I'd send it to SIN and arrange for someone to pick up from there.

Comment

Unless you want to increase the chances of winning in the Amex lost luggage lottery, I'd send it to SIN and arrange for someone to pick up from there.
                  Great, I'd deliberately send an empty suitcase on the whole journey. My porter (i.e. you) can pick up the other suitcase with my shopping and my mom from the airport.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                    My porter (i.e. you) can pick up the other suitcase with my shopping and my mom from the airport.
                    The least you can do is buy your mom her own ticket to sit on the plane!

Comment

Interesting dialogue, phaleesy and jhm. Aren't you two within talking distance of each other????

Phaleesy, you can check baggage to SIN and collect from lost and found upon your return.

...kinda wondering why MLE turnaround? It's a nice place for ...

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
                        Interesting dialogue, phaleesy and jhm. Aren't you two within talking distance of each other????
                        Nope, two junctions on the M25.

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
                        ...kinda wondering why MLE turnaround? It's a nice place for ...
                        The usual reason for others plus for me the fact that it's so near CMB.

Comment

The Hulhule is about $250 for the night compared to less than $100 in Male so if a transfer is possible past 1am and it's not an unreasonable cost, it's worth looking into.

I e-mailed a local TA - http://www.vermillionmaldives.com/ - who seem to have indicated that it is possible to stay in Male that night. They've asked me to contact them again next week when they'll have prices for Male hotels for the X'mas/New Year peiod.
                          The airport hotel, the Hulhule is more expensive than I thought - US$318 for a single room for 1 night - due to it being the Christmas period!

So I've just booked through Vermillion a hotel in the capital, Male which is about 10 minutes by boat from the airport island. I chose one of the hotels offered - the Hotel Fresco - which is much cheaper than the Hulhule at US$129 for the night plus US$11 for the roundtrip boat transfer from the airport.

My Sri Lankan flight arrives MLE at 1:10am and Vermillion will - so they say - meet and greet at the airport. I shall see!

Edit: booking through Vermillion was more hassle than normal - they take the payment upfront but require an e-mail or fax copy of a completed credit card authorisation form plus copies of your passport and your credit card.

Comment

Hmmm......MLE.......if I were to do an MR there, I'd definately will want to spend a couple of days in the resort there as oppose to a sameday turnaround.
                            My Past, Present, Future Flights (Flights from March 2007 to Present to Future)

Comment

Hey guys!

Been to MLE this August on EK in F and what i remember is that you disembark using stairs. If you are upfront in the plane you can get out first, walk over to the terminal building in 2 min, clear immigration in 4 min before the masses. (get that nice maldives stamp to show off at home!)

Luggage is a hit and miss, sometimess priority tags work and it's there on the spot or it could take over 35 min. Be reminded though all forms of luggage (check-in / carry on) will need to be x-rayed when leaving the baggage reclaim hall, this is to ensure no alcohol or naughty things are brought into the country. There are only 2 machines to process the whole flow so it could get congested! Best is not to have any check-in luggage for your turnabout trip.

After clearing that piece of inefficiency you walk around the corner to the departure hall, get you ticket/passport checked by the security guys (usually 2 there) and then check-in for the return leg. Walk upstairs for immigration (usually very quick) and then you are in the shops/lounge area. All airlines premium passengers use the Finifenmaa lounge, it is ok to take a peek but it's not that impressive. They do have timetables there of a dozen different airlines to take. You walk downstairs for the final security check and then you're at the gate holdroom.

With luggage it would take approx an hr.
                              Without luggage it would take about 30min if you walk fast.
                              Any remarks or suggestions are kindly appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by Rejuvenated View Post
                                Hmmm......MLE.......if I were to do an MR there
                                I don't think anyone in this thread has gone/is giong to MLE just to earn miles!

Comment

Working...
                                X