Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biometric collection (ie FINGERPRINTING) at airports in Malaysia

Last Updated: 20 May 2011

A biometric collection system, National Foreigners Enforcement and Registration (Biometrics) System (NERS), will be implemented by Malaysian authorities at all entry and exit points in Malaysia on 01 June 2011.

The collection of biometrics from both left and right index fingers will apply to all foreigners entering and leaving Malaysia, with the exception of Diplomatic Passport holders, disabled passengers, and children below the age of 12.

Longer queues at entry and exit points are expected during the first few months of implementation. Customers travelling to and from Malaysia should expect to spend more time at the airport, and are advised to leave for the airport early to avoid any delay.
    http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...0007d21c39____

and

http://www.etnw.co.za/NewsDetails.aspx?newsId=59089
    Last edited by Guy Betsy; 21 May 2011, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Actually GB I saw it already being implemented on foreigners as early as last week. Not sure if that was a trial or some pre- test.

Comment

I had to do it in PEN on the 13th of May. The machine takes a multi-coloured 'snapshot' of your fingers and it's not particularly sensitive. It had to take mine 3 times.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
          Actually GB I saw it already being implemented on foreigners as early as last week. Not sure if that was a trial or some pre- test.
          Trial run I believe. Am keen to see how efficiently it it performed...

Comment

Had it for the first time in KUL about 3 weeks ago. Thy put a sticker in your passport with part of it sticking out. The piece is suppose to be collected by the immigration office upon departure. They don't always do it though.

As kyo said, the fingerprinting machines are not very sensitive.
            God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

No sticker in my passport

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                No sticker in my passport
                There is suppose to be a green colour strip with a QR Code, of which only half of it is pasted into your passport (the other half is left flapping as it is supposed to be removed when you leave Malaysia). The immigration stamp is stamped across this strip.

Funny enough, there were one or two counters at KLIA that did not have the fingerprinting facility.
                God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

post deleted
                  Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:39 AM.

Comment

Had it on last Easter at LCCT... And yes, the fingers print scanner not sensitive enough... And the computer got jammed every other turn... Took more than half an hours to clear up the line of 8...
                    And yes, I've got sticker also on my passport...

Comment

When I first heard this idea about Christmas time I thought they'd never get their act together in time to implement it. I'm impressed and horrified in equal measure.

Comment

Well at least they're being consistently inefficient

Comment

Travelled by Land Coach up north last week and this is also implemented at 2nd Link Malaysia checkpoint.

Had the said sticker in my passport after being asked to scan both index fingers.

Pleasantly surprised at the technological advance there!

Comment

This started just after the F1, I had to scan my thumbs, index finger and middle fingers. It is now slightly better where only index fingers are scanned.

Comment

Originally posted by cmy View Post
                              Travelled by Land Coach up north last week and this is also implemented at 2nd Link Malaysia checkpoint.

Had the said sticker in my passport after being asked to scan both index fingers.

Pleasantly surprised at the technological advance there!

That would be fine but did you also consider the effect on those of us crossing by car...... everybody had to get out the car and do both fingers etc. so the queue was worse on their 'trial' day than even at weekends

If this is implemented daily then it will be a huge problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X