• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HKG - 50 minute layover, possible?

I'm on a connecting flight from HND to ICN (via HKG):

HND-HKG NH1171 08:55-12:35
    HKG-ICN OZ722 13:25-17:55

I've done some research, and today's NH flight arrived at gate 32, and OZ's flight departed from gate 19. I've done some research, and from this map:

It seems to be quite a walk. Do I need to pass immigrations? I'm not worried about my luggage as I will be travelling with two carry-ons. I'm in business, if that makes any difference (priority security?).

I know there's a direct flight available, but this routing maximizes by flight time .

No immigration. No priority security. I wouldn't do this - you risk misconnecting.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
      No immigration. No priority security. I wouldn't do this - you risk misconnecting.
      Thanks once again, jhm. Will book another set of flights.

Comment

It's very possible if you're Usain Bolt and you're first off the plane. The rest of us, need to look at other flights

HKG is a rather largish airport, and departures/arrivals are not mixed, hence transfer security is conducted at a common area rather than "at gate", and there IS a difference. If you cut it close at a SIN gate, you'll probably be straight through security because everyone else would be in the holding area, whereas if you did the same in HKG there is a far greater chance for a queue

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
          It's very possible if you're Usain Bolt and you're first off the plane. The rest of us, need to look at other flights

HKG is a rather largish airport, and departures/arrivals are not mixed, hence transfer security is conducted at a common area rather than "at gate", and there IS a difference. If you cut it close at a SIN gate, you'll probably be straight through security because everyone else would be in the holding area, whereas if you did the same in HKG there is a far greater chance for a queue
          I've had my fair share of running in airports and am in good shape, but will pick another flight. Thanks SQflyergirl .

Comment

When you take away the 'Gate closes 10-min before departure' clause it leaves you 40-minutes.

It is doable only with guaranteed assistance for security screening.

Comment

Originally posted by scooby5 View Post
              When you take away the 'Gate closes 10-min before departure' clause it leaves you 40-minutes.

It is doable only with guaranteed assistance for security screening.
              No airport in Asia has been able to do such a tight MCT except SIN.

Comment

Doesn't HKG have that 'The Shuttle' and 'The Chaperone' buggy/service you can book? That should make the odds slightly better?

Still don't like the chances in case of even the littlest flight delay.

Comment

Thanks everyone. For the record: I myself think HKG is pretty efficient like SIN is (like SIN better though) but decided not to book these flights and take another route

Comment

I have routinely done transits in HKG within 50 mins timeframe, albeilt all on CX. Out of the 10+ 50-mins transit I did last year, there was only one incident whereby CX needs to hold the flight due to a late arrival of incoming flight and I was whiskered away by CX representative immediately upon arrival to assist with transit security. My checked-in luggage did not make it though. The rest of the transit went without any problem and none of them with transit security assist.

But yes, I may be the fortunate one. And I think it is a good move for you to choose another set of flights, especially when you are on different tickets and airlines. HKG is an enjoyable place to spend a few hours too.
                    When the going gets tough, the tough go travelling ...

Comment

I am not trying to hijack the topic but i have similar situation. I will be flying from FRA to SIN via HKG and knowing that LH738 on time performance history are not very good, I wonder if the scheduled 1:20 connecting time will be sufficient for transfer between two different airlines in HKG.

FRA - HKG on LH738
                      1:20 hour
                      HKG - SIN on SQ891

(if it help, I will be flying in LH-F and SQ-J)
                      Last edited by mraquinas; 18 June 2011, 10:43 PM.
                      AC-SE (2007-Now), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond

Comment

Its a legal connection.. and if LH is delayed, they will notify SQ who will arrange to put you on next flight.

Comment

Further delay minimizing HKG connection even further

I need some advice from you expert members.
                          I just been advised by Air Canada that there is a schedule change for my LH738 flight. The 'safe enough' original 80 minutes connection is reduced to 40 minutes at HKG. I know that this connection time is below the recommended minimum connection time for HKG, but is it possible to connect in 40 minutes at HKG between these two airlines?

This is what stated on my AC reservation:

LH738* Frankfurt, Frankfurt Int'l (FRA)
                          Fri 16-Dec 2011
                          17:35 - Terminal 1
                          Hong Kong (HKG)
                          Sat 17-Dec 2011
                          11:10 - Terminal 1
                          First Class

Airport change from Hong Kong (HKG) to Frankfurt (FRA).

Fri 16-Dec 2011
                          18:00 - Terminal 1
                          Hong Kong (HKG)
                          Sat 17-Dec 2011
                          11:50 - Terminal 1
                          First Class

SQ891* Hong Kong (HKG)
                          Sat 17-Dec 2011
                          12:30 - Terminal 1
                          Singapore, Changi (SIN)
                          Sat 17-Dec 2011
                          16:20
                          Business Class

Yet, another problem:
                          I have another connecting flight to CGK on the 17-Dec with the unchangeble revenue LH790 flight depart SIN at 18:00.

There are no other alternate F award availability that I can currently see, which will connect me to my LH790 on time.

Can anyone give me a light in regards to the trouble possibility for this 40 minutes connecting time?

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by mraquinas View Post
                            I need some advice from you expert members.
                            I just been advised by Air Canada that there is a schedule change for my LH738 flight. The 'safe enough' original 80 minutes connection is reduced to 40 minutes at HKG. I know that this connection time is below the recommended minimum connection time for HKG, but is it possible to connect in 40 minutes at HKG between these two airlines?

This is what stated on my AC reservation:

Fri 16-Dec 2011
                            17:35 - Terminal 1
                            Hong Kong (HKG)
                            Sat 17-Dec 2011
                            11:10 - Terminal 1
                            First Class

Airport change from Hong Kong (HKG) to Frankfurt (FRA).

Fri 16-Dec 2011
                            18:00 - Terminal 1
                            Hong Kong (HKG)
                            Sat 17-Dec 2011
                            11:50 - Terminal 1
                            First Class

SQ891* Hong Kong (HKG)
                            Sat 17-Dec 2011
                            12:30 - Terminal 1
                            Singapore, Changi (SIN)
                            Sat 17-Dec 2011
                            16:20
                            Business Class

Yet, another problem:
                            I have another connecting flight to CGK on the 17-Dec with the unchangeble revenue LH790 flight depart SIN at 18:00.

There are no other alternate F award availability that I can currently see, which will connect me to my LH790 on time.

Can anyone give me a light in regards to the trouble possibility for this 40 minutes connecting time?

Thank you.
                            Since yours is a paid premium class ticket, I don't see how SQ cannot accomodate you on 863 if you really cut it too tight for 891. Provided there are seats of course.

Comment

Thanks, I think I will take my chance to go with this 40 mintues connecting time at HKG (keep my fingers cross) since it is not at my fault for LH to retime the ex-FRA flight to 30 minutes later.

Has anyone ever have this kind of short connection at HKG?

Comment

Working...
                              X