Is Delta Skymiles program good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you all for the advices =)
    I guess I will put these miles on China Airlines Dynasty program.
    No other choice, all these cannot beat SQ krisflyer program.

Comment

Originally posted by vincent0720 View Post
      No other choice, all these cannot beat SQ krisflyer program.

I would see if you can accrue on Alaska, Jet, or Kingfisher -- keeping in mind their earn/burn rates...and if you plan to accrue more on them in the future.
      HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by cmy View Post
        but their SIN-NRT redemption is very worth it, IMHO.

non-peak period requires only 20,000 miles for Y or 40,000 for C, and taxes is way below SQ, usually requiring $60+ only.
        Yes you are right.

Comment

I have Delta Skymiles only because I used to have Northwest World Perks.

Its definitely much harder to get any award flights on Delta (and Air France) than what you used to be able to get on NW (and KLM), but I still keep it as a poor 2nd alternative to Krisflyer. Having said that I managed to redeem AF Business and Delta Economy over the course of the past year though not at the lowest redemption levels. Taxes are way lower than SQ.

It all depends where you reside and what programs have the frequency you need.

Comment

Does anyone know where to find award charts for partner airlines outside the USA or doesn't involve travel to/from USA? Website doesn't say anything!

I have DL Skymiles only because of NW Worldperks and that they are the only programme to give 100% miles on any of KLM's economy class fares. But yes, I find that its hard to redeem anything useful on them when one does not start from North America.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post
              Does anyone know where to find award charts for partner airlines outside the USA or doesn't involve travel to/from USA? Website doesn't say anything!

I have DL Skymiles only because of NW Worldperks and that they are the only programme to give 100% miles on any of KLM's economy class fares. But yes, I find that its hard to redeem anything useful on them when one does not start from North America.
              DL has stopped publishing award charts outside of the US for about two or so years now! Another indication that they are not trustworthy. They are making the system even more obscure every change they can.
              Your best bet is to call DL and ask them. Also know that they have invented fees for awards not originating in the US. I have not heard if those fees apply starting in Asia but they are a known scam when starting in Europe!

Once again for all who read this, avoid putting miles on DL (and thus flying them) unless you have absolutely no other option!

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaFlyingProf View Post
                DL has stopped publishing award charts outside of the US for about two or so years now! Another indication that they are not trustworthy. They are making the system even more obscure every change they can.
                Your best bet is to call DL and ask them. Also know that they have invented fees for awards not originating in the US. I have not heard if those fees apply starting in Asia but they are a known scam when starting in Europe!

Once again for all who read this, avoid putting miles on DL (and thus flying them) unless you have absolutely no other option!
                Would it make a diff if my home address is in North america or Asia to avoid them fees?

I currently have about 46K miles now and seeing that I can't use them to get a ticket to Europe from Canada, I might as well use them for one around asia.

I got DL from NW and since I travelled mostly on KL within europe on el cheapo V and N class fares I thought it was good until DL changed their rules halfway and declined any mileage for those fares. I then switched to sectors on Flying Blue which served me better as elites (I'm Gold with them too) get to carry more than 23kg of luggage within europe! But the mileage earning restrictions has since changed but it was already too late for me to start accumulating enough mileage on it to retain SM Gold. It will lapse into oblivion this year so I might as well use up the miles.

Comment

If all else fails, you could always subscribe to some magazines if you live in the US (does it apply to Canada?) or give it to someone

Comment

Notes from a NW refugee and DL hub-captive:

It's better to credit miles to DL than to no airline, but it's better to avoid DL's FF program if you can.

Crediting miles to Alaska might make sense. Another idea is China Southern, which is in SkyTeam. I'm glad KE is in SkyTeam, but their award (including upgrade apparently) blackout dates amount to about half of the year.

The better gift card deals for miles seem to require that one have a Delta AmEx card.

Some find that using DL miles for hotel rooms is useful, but I've never tried it.

IIRC, on Jet and Kingfisher, DL miles can only be used for coach tickets within Asia and I think one of them requires an Asian address for redemption.

A few on that other site have saved award charts for outside of North America. If you search the DL forum on FT, you should find links to these charts and people to PM for PDF files of the old charts.

Comment

Originally posted by MSPeconomist View Post
                      Notes from a NW refugee and DL hub-captive:

It's better to credit miles to DL than to no airline, but it's better to avoid DL's FF program if you can.

Crediting miles to Alaska might make sense. ..
                      But on most AF/KL tickets, it earns zero on AS MVP. Otherwise I would have done it long ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post
                        But on most AF/KL tickets, it earns zero on AS MVP. Otherwise I would have done it long ago.
                        True, Alaska is a free spirit, not in SkyTeam or any other alliance although I believe their arrangement with AA is similar to that with DL, so it could be useful as a good place to deposit both DL (ST) and AA (OW) miles. On AF/KL, miles earning rates might be better if ticketed as DL codeshares, but doing so would require dealing with DL's IT mess, including partner seat assignment problems.

If you need a place to park SkyTeam miles, think about the carrier on which you plan to upgrade as SkyTeam alliance upgrades require a full Y fare (except on your home carrier and its FF program) and generally cannot get one into IFC. For someone based in Asia, KE could make sense but check their blackout date rules; the blackouts DL imposes systemwide on KE awards cover almost half of the year and are more extreme than the dates listed on the KE website. KE seems to have a reasonable website for finding awards and booking tickets, although compared to delta.dumb, an abacus and stone tablet would look good. (Did I say primitive? I fear that I've insulted some "primitive" peoples.)

AZ makes it relatively easy to earn SkyTeam Elite and ElitePlus status, but is a horrible airline with bad customer service, including its FF program. (In their defense, they've acquired a few nice new planes recently and some claim that their food is good.) They've been close to bankrupcy and tend to experience strikes, both by AZ employees and by workers at their home airports. Personally I avoid them unless there is absolutely no other choice.

Other ideas--probably easy status but bad redemption offers--include some new SkyTeam members such as CZ (not so new now) and Vietnam(?). I don't know anything about their programs. Unfortunately SkyTeam doesn't have the equivalent of BMI or Aegean as FF programs to use for alliance miles and status.
                        Last edited by MSPeconomist; 6 January 2011, 05:55 AM. Reason: added stuff

Comment

Transfer miles from Citi Premiermiles Card and get 25% bonus miles!!!

Get 25% more Delta miles!!

http://delta.com/pet/25bonusae/pet/main

Convert your Citi premier miles to Delta Skymiles & earn 25%!! Hurry!! Promo ends 28/2/2011.

That's S$1 = 1.5miles!!!
                          Last edited by vsepr; 24 January 2011, 10:11 PM.

Comment

How about Korean Airlines "Morning Glory", "Morning Calm" Skymiles program?

Comment

Originally posted by Gunners View Post
                              How about Korean Airlines "Morning Glory", "Morning Calm" Skymiles program?
                              You can make a redemption on Korean Air as Korean Air is a partner airline in Skymiles, when you transfer your CitiMiles to Skymiles. CitiMiles cannot be transferred to Korean Air's Skypass frequent flyer program for Singapore cardholders.

Comment

Originally posted by vsepr View Post
                                Get 25% more Delta miles!!

http://delta.com/pet/25bonusae/pet/main

Convert your Citi premier miles to Delta Skymiles & earn 25%!! Hurry!! Promo ends 28/2/2011.

That's S$1 = 1.5miles!!!

Good tip! Wow, u really king of credit cards

Comment

Working...
                                X