Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New CX Y: How is it compared to new SQ Y?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New CX Y: How is it compared to new SQ Y?

Whilst I have a preferance for SQ, it looks like CX has some pretty good deals going ex-Aust to North America at the moment (in addition to price, CX have immediate onward connections in HKG rather than the forced overnight transit if I fly SQ).

Having never flown CX, can anyone tell me what the Y product is like in comparison to SQ. I beleive they offer the choice of 744 or 773 between HKG and LAX. Also is there anyway of telling with CX if the a/c has been refurbished with the new seating.

Cheers

I've not tried the new CX Y seat but understand from both jjpb3 and Guy Betsy that when lying down, it's rather unergonomic/painful, e.g.

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showpos...9&postcount=20

Comment

The ads that have been running on CX's new Y show what looks like loads of leg room.

Have to try it myself to believe it.

I'm unimpressed with SQ's new Y on 77W and A380.

I guess I still pine for Y+ on the old A345s.

While I'm entertained by the IFE while seated, they are not very comfortable to sit in.

I suspect this is a consequence of the weight saving design...

Does anyone know the seat pitch in Y of the old 747-200s?

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
        The ads that have been running on CX's new Y show what looks like loads of leg room.
        Until you recline, because then the seat mechanism slides you forward towards the shell of the seat in front of you. That cuts down on the leg room a lot.

The CX new Y is more comfortable than the old for sleeping, if you use a pillow to support your neck. But the placement of the pocket behind the calves is hugely inconvenient. If you store an amenity pack and some reading materials for those times you don't sleep but are in the relaxed reclined mode, getting to them is much more troublesome than if the pocket had been in front of you. I remain still ambivalent about the seat. The main thing I like about it is that your neighbors don't control your comfort (including neighbors behind you who tend to use your seat as a crutch to stand up ).

I really need to try the SQ new Y seat so that I can compare the relative merits of the two.
        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
          Until you recline, because then the seat mechanism slides you forward towards the shell of the seat in front of you. That cuts down on the leg room a lot.
          A British colleague who went back home on CX (in Y) this Christmas [via HKG], said to me "never again". He's 6ft 3in tall and he found it extremely difficult to move his legs once the seat was in 'recline' mode. I guess though for a person with a height of up to 5ft 8in or something, things could be better.

Comment

I've had similar comments from people who've flown QF Y on A380. Those that are short like it. Those of average height or taller find it excrutiating. How can designers get this so wrong?

Comment

The bulkhead row tends to be quite ok, actually I´ve never sat in any other in the 74A economy cabin. Put in a request at check-in or lounge if transiting.

Comment

My contention is still that every new generation of Y seats is less comfortable than the last.

Back in 1980 I flew QF 747 SIN-LHR and found it sooo good compared to SQs that I wrote to my friend about it.

It's like CX's new Y.

Seat slides forward as seat back reclines.

The difference is no shell.

I think what made that old Y seat noteworthy must be more seat pitch, more recline and more cushion in those days.

New seats feel like I'm sitting on a wooden bench.

Comment

Seat pitch sucks, matter of fact it doesnt even recline. The seat only slides out

Comment

Working...
                  X