Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The SQTalk Luggage Discussion Thread

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
    Perhaps I could get adopted into this fam. All HUGE AL wants is: www.briggs-riley.com
    I'm with you there, HUGE AL. I'm a huge Briggs & Riley fan. In fact, one of my nieces already has her own piece (courtesy of moi) for her travels between SIN and MNL.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

The only bag that carries the LIFETIME guarantee against ANY damage -- including airline mishandling!

http://www.briggs-riley.com/warranty.asp
    HUGE AL

Comment

The only bag that carries the LIFETIME guarantee against ANY damage -- including airline mishandling!

http://www.briggs-riley.com/warranty.asp
      After a certain amount of time (say, three to five years), you really won't care about sending the luggage bag for free repairs (in London, at least, their repair centre takes two to three weeks to make the repairs).

Big negatives against B&R rollaboards:
      • When the suitcase is full, the front pockets are useless because you have to strain to reach the insides
      • The zip pulls, particularly for the front pocket, break off
      • The zip pulls' coating flakes off under the usual baggage handling stresses

I'd have no problems recommending B&R rollaboards based on their durability and the novel outside-the-frame construction of the rolling handle. But the other bits I outlined above cause me to pause before making a whole-hearted recommendation.

Comment

Maybe it's just me but I read a "lifetime warranty" (when combined with frequent travel) as similar to "unlimited Internet access", i.e. too good to be true!

Things wear out over time and I can't imagine that a company is going to keep fixing a bag for (say) 40 years - either they'll stop doing that or the company will go out of business, merge, be taken over etc.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
          After a certain amount of time (say, three to five years), you really won't care about sending the luggage bag for free repairs (in London, at least, their repair centre takes two to three weeks to make the repairs).

Big negatives against B&R rollaboards:
          • When the suitcase is full, the front pockets are useless because you have to strain to reach the insides
          • The zip pulls, particularly for the front pocket, break off
          • The zip pulls' coating flakes off under the usual baggage handling stresses

I'd have no problems recommending B&R rollaboards based on their durability and the novel outside-the-frame construction of the rolling handle. But the other bits I outlined above cause me to pause before making a whole-hearted recommendation.
          Originally posted by jhm View Post
          Maybe it's just me but I read a "lifetime warranty" (when combined with frequent travel) as similar to "unlimited Internet access", i.e. too good to be true!

Things wear out over time and I can't imagine that a company is going to keep fixing a bag for (say) 40 years - either they'll stop doing that or the company will go out of business, merge, be taken over etc.
          jhm, this is extremely interesting to me. The B&R repair center is in California...perhaps that is why I've never had a problem. I've sent my garment bag in five times over the past 2+ years. Never a question and never a problem. The last time, the frame was competely shattered by the airline. Four days later, it was back at my door...good as new. Perhaps my local makes me fortunate...
          HUGE AL

Comment

My college roommate would spend a little more on certain items, always telling me that this brand or that would last forever (or have lifetime warranty), and my reaction was always the same - don't you want to get something new eventually?

I've had these 2 Delsey suitcases for almost 20 years now, and they look like they'll be sticking around for a while more. But sometimes I can't help but wish they'd just kick the bucket already so that I can get new ones!

Comment

jhm, this is extremely interesting to me. The B&R repair center is in California...perhaps that is why I've never had a problem. I've sent my garment bag in five times over the past 2+ years. Never a question and never a problem. The last time, the frame was competely shattered by the airline. Four days later, it was back at my door...good as new. Perhaps my local makes me fortunate...
              I'd venture to guess that jhm is writing as a customer of UK companies, which typically don't offer lifetime guarantees. IME, US companies are the ones who offer lifetime guarantees because they it a differentiating feature in competitive markets like the luggage market, where the long-term quality might be difficult to discern. Redoxx is another company that does so. The guarantee allows the company to stand out in a market where enough customers are concerned about the durability of the items they buy.

I've sent in my B&R to the repair center here in England: it takes time, but it does get fixed. IME, B&R are serious about their guarantee. I think it's then a matter for the customer to decide whether the hassle of getting the bag to an authorized center and then waiting for the bag to come back, outweighs the trouble of a new bag. I had to take mine to a store on Marylebone Road, and then wait for them to call me once the bag was returned. That took around three weeks. Some customers would consider that too much of a palaver. If the destruction happened often enough, the customer would just buy a new bag instead of trying to have the old one repaired, and discount the lifetime warranty as a gimmick.

The thing is, my B&R rollaboard has withstood a lot of punishment.

EDIT TO ADD: as fimo suggested, if some customers use the guarantee to decide what to buy, but not all of those customers actually take advantage of it, a lifetime guarantee can make business sense.
              Last edited by jjpb3; 10 September 2007, 03:52 PM.

Comment

If I am recalling correctly, Victorinox Tourbach series have a very good comprehensive lifetime warranty too - where they will ship you a loaner bag wherever you are in the world, or something like that.

I have never been charged for any repairs by Tumi, including broken frame for the wheelaways, etc. But yeah fimo is right. I for one don't need lifetime warranty. The bags do look tired after 5-6 years (maybe less).

Comment

My last repair resulted in getting the brand new updated model.

BTW, I'm loving how I'm becoming the king of new threads being started by the mods.
                  Last edited by HUGE AL; 11 September 2007, 08:25 AM.
                  HUGE AL

Comment

Is it better to pay more for something with a lifetime warranty (the ones mentioned above - B&R, Victorinox, Tumi etc) or, alternatively, buy a cheap bag which you replace after a few years ?

I bought a cheap Samsonite last August (before the new UK cabin luggage rules were meant to have come in force) and so far it's survived a fair amount of travel. I have no experience of Tumi, B&R and the other high end stuff people talk about - why should I consider those ? Looks ? Design ? Durability ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                      why should I consider those ? Looks ? Design ? Durability ?
                      Briggs uses inline rollerblade wheels and the highest ballistic nylon. The reason they have the lifetime guarantee is they believe their bags should not need replacing and by having customers send them back when they do, Briggs gets valuable info on where to improve them.
                      HUGE AL

Comment

Just looking at some reviews on www.ebags.co.uk, e.g. the B&R Baseline 22" Carry-On Superlight Upright:

http://www.ebags.co.uk/briggs_riley/...?modelid=82482

As a general rule I love Briggs and Riley. Having said that, this bad is not up to the usual standard. I have carried it maybe a total of 5 times and I already had a wheel come loose(Hubbie fixed this) and when I was getting ready to leave this week I noticed that one of the corner bumpers is gone!! Underneath the fabric is already starting to tear. Now I need to find out how to get a brand new bag repaired
                        Presumably a duff bag but still...!

Comment

Whether or not to pay extra for the guarantee will be a subjective judgment. Cognitive psychologists have long noted that salience isn't something that depends on objective probabilities: e.g., consumers will often put greater weight on a negative personal anecdote about a car, heard at a cocktail party, than on a positive report from JD Powers about collective experience with that car brand.

Personally, I would pay more, even with the knowledge that after about three to five years, I'm highly likely to want a replacement. If I *had* to have it repaired, I like knowing the manufacturer will stand by the product and do it for "free" (the cost of my time not included). A good friend of mine has the opposite view. She buys relatively cheap luggage so she would have no pangs if it's damaged and she needs to buy a new one. One of her bags has lasted a very long time (more than seven years already, IIRC) and was definitely more economical than what my decision rule would have entailed.

My personal experience to balance that review, jhm, is that I've checked in my B&R well over 30 times, and the only repair that has been needed was to replace one of the zip pulls for the front pocket. The thing I liked was that the repair was carried out without any fuss (e.g., arguments about whether this was "regular wear and tear" or "the airline's fault"). I'm happy to pay extra to ensure there is no hassle when repairs need to happen.
                          Last edited by jjpb3; 11 September 2007, 01:43 PM.

Comment

I totally agree with everything jjpb3 said. I'm also one of those guys who likes to buy one set of cooking knives (Global) and pots (Calphalon + cast iron). B&R is a brand I don't have to worry about. As for the looks and wanting to update, my thought is: just how many styles of a garment bag or roller bag can they come up with??? I want something few people have...that I can easily recognize when it comes off the belt.

My last garment bag was a Samsonite. When the inside zipper broke from a clear manufacturer's defect, they REFUSED to fix it unless I paid another $100. Retarded!

But to each his own. Completely understand and respect the differing opinions. I sincerely hope this dialog helps others in coming to a decision that suits them.
                            HUGE AL

Comment

OK so would something like the B&R Baseline 22" Carry-On Superlight Upright (link above) work, i.e. does it fit within the maximum dimensions ?

jjpb3 and HUGE AL - what do you guys have ?

Comment

Working...
                              X