Relatively Tight Connection Backfired This Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relatively Tight Connection Backfired This Time

Hi guys. Greetings from the SIN SKL. Not where I am supposed to be during this time. But last night, my 1hr 35 minute connection was not long enough to avoid an overnight. SQ865 ex-HKG was delayed for technical reasons (according to the crews) for more than 90 minutes. Didn't arrive into SIN till midnight. By the time we exited the flight, SQ346 (our connecting flight to ZRH) had already begun withdrawing from the gate.

The ground staff knew of the situation before we came out that we were among the passengers who were going to misconnect and had already waited for us at the gate where SQ865 parked. At the end they managed to rebook us for tonight's flight leaving at the same 2355 and provided us with a free stay at the Transit Hotel until the evening of today.

I've survived many tight HKG-Europe connections in SIN but not this time. We will not be getting a deduction from the hotel in Mt. Schiltron for the one night stay we are not utilizing and will loose one full day of skiing as a result. Unfortunate, but I am glad that I understand these things happen more than once in our lifetime that I don't need to star being grouchy and become a PITA. Thank god I am delayed in Changi as oppose to LHR or LAX.
    My Past, Present, Future Flights (Flights from March 2007 to Present to Future)

Sorry to hear that, but glad to see that you've stayed levelheaded about it all. Quite rare to see that nowadays.

Hopefully things turn out better for you from here on out.

Comment

Very unfortunate to hear that Rejuvenated

Good thing SQ really care about you and tried to keep you happy by staying at a hotel for free until you left the airport
      "Singapore Girl, You're A Great Way To Fly"

-Singapore Airlines

Comment

Nice of SQ to provide you with a hotel, though I would have asked for one in the city. Have a great trip despite your setback. If I had to be stuck in any airport for 24 hours, I would choose SIN.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Rejuvenated.

On the flip side, your GF is with you.
          So it can't be all that bad.

Hope you get enough skiing soon.

Comment

What class of service were you flying? Giving you just the transit hotel seems a bit cheap on SQ's part. Did they provide you with food as well?

Comment

We were in F. Myself on a F tix upgraded from mileage. My GF on a paid F tix. No food vouchers or similar provided. I guess since we had unlimited access to the SKL to eat at the buffet during the extended delay that they felt food wasn't going to be an issue.

When it comes to delay compensations, we are not a picky group. Just fortunate we were able to sleep on a flat bed as oppose to the slumber ones.
              Last edited by Rejuvenated; 4 January 2007, 12:15 PM. Reason: Corrections

Comment

Originally posted by Rejuvenated View Post
                We were in F. Myself on a *A Award F tix. My GF on a paid F tix. No food vouchers or similar provided. I guess since we had unlimited access to the SKL to eat at the buffet during the extended delay that they felt food wasn't going to be an issue.

When it comes to delay compensations, we are not a picky group. Just fortunate we were able to sleep on a flat bed as oppose to the slumber ones.
                I was asking because I had a missed connection on a flight that only runs once and at about the same time as your ZRH flight. I was flying SQ F. However, SQ had prepared for me a room in a 5* hotel and food coupons for all the meals and they paid for the taxi both ways. So I am a bit surprised you only got the transit hotel. But then maybe all hotels in Singapore were full?

Comment

PS

PS: I forgot to ask, did you have your PPS number in the PNR? I have been told it makes a difference...

Comment

We were in F. Myself on a *A Award F tix. My GF on a paid F tix. No food vouchers or similar provided. I guess since we had unlimited access to the SKL to eat at the buffet during the extended delay that they felt food wasn't going to be an issue.

Great attitude...I wish more F pax had that

Comment

I used the T2 transit hotel a few days ago. Room 66 (for two) is quite noisy. Sounded like lots of kids running around.

Comment

Correction from my previous post: My ticket was a F upgraded with mileage from business and not a *A Award F ticket. Apologize as I got mixed up with a booking that took place before this trip which was a *A Award F ticket.
                        Originally posted by DeltaFlyingProf View Post
                        I was asking because I had a missed connection on a flight that only runs once and at about the same time as your ZRH flight. I was flying SQ F. However, SQ had prepared for me a room in a 5* hotel and food coupons for all the meals and they paid for the taxi both ways. So I am a bit surprised you only got the transit hotel. But then maybe all hotels in Singapore were full?
                        This was the first time that I misconnected flying in SQ F thus I didn't know what are the ballpark amounts for compensations for pax travelling in such status. I had my PPS entered into the PNR but not my GF as she is not a PPS.
                        Anyways we were overwhelmed with anxiety onboard SQ865 as we knew the bleak chances of making it to the connecting flight. By the time we arrived close to midnight in SIN, we were dead tired and wanted to go to bed as soon as possible. So they offered us the room at the TH and we just took it. Don't know if we would have gotten more if we were more vocal and bargained. But again as I said before we are an easy going bunch when it comes to this type of situation.

The following day was spent airside till we boarded the 2355 departure flight. Had breakfast, lunch, & dinner all from the SKL buffet as we spent most of that delayed day going back and forth between the lounge and TH.

Also my GF doesn't necessarily adapt well to abrupt climate changes. If we were to head outdoors from the airport for a hotel in-town, I feared she might eventually become ill going from tropical Singapore to cold Switzerland.
                        Last edited by Rejuvenated; 4 January 2007, 12:14 PM.

Comment

In the last 5 years that I was transitting at SIN, I thought I did missed the connection flight at least 2 to 3 times, with a minimum of 2 hours connection time that I had booked. But of course that was due to the 1 sector aircraft departure delayed that caused the mis-connection.

I still don't know how SQ becnchmark themselves should they wait or not wait for the late in-bound passengers.

In 2000 when I was on J class on SQ322 from SIN to LHR, our aircraft had to be delayed for departure (I was already seating at the upper deck before mid-night) due to the late arrival transit passengers from SYD SQ222, they were about 30+ Economy Class passengers.

In 2001 when was on J on SQ325 back from FRA to SIN & supposing arrived at 14:45 with a quite resonable coneection time to my onward SQ2 flight depart at 17:00. but the aircraft was late arrival at SIN around 16:00 & SQ ground staff at the SQ325 arrival aerobridge immediate stop us (6 x Raffles Class passengers) that we are not allow to on board SQ2.

In 2004 I was on J on SQ319 back from LHR to SIN & supposing arrived at 14:25 with coneection to onward SQ2 flight depart at 17:00. but the aircraft was late arrival at SIN around 16:30 & again SQ ground staff at the SQ319 arrival aerobridge immediate stop us (2 x Raffles Class passengers + 19 Economy Class passengers) that we are not allow to on board SQ2. We told them the SQ2 borading gate just 2 to 3 gates next to us even though we don't have to run, if we just walk to the SQ2 gate would had just took us less than 3 minutes, but they still reject our boarding.

A couple months ago when 4 of us on J flown SQ865 to SIN onward to ADL by SQ269, SQ865 was delayed 1 hour 15 mins. But surprisingly SQ269 from SIN to ADL did wait for us & delayed its original departure schedule, even though SQ HKG ground staff had already re-booked all 4 of us on F class from SIN to SYD SQ231 which depart SIN at 00:20.

Anyone knows the rule of thumb that how many F / J / Y class passenger they should wait or its really up to the Captain discretion wait / not to wait...?

Comment

Originally posted by SQTalker View Post
                            Anyone knows the rule of thumb that how many F / J / Y class passenger they should wait or its really up to the Captain discretion wait / not to wait...?
                            In July I was on SQ237, the last flight of the day to MEL. They held the plane back by more than an hour for about 14 pax connecting from a delayed flight from PVG. I think it'd be impossible for all 14 pax to be rebooked onto any other services to MEL (or SYD/ADL/BNE for that matter) the next day as they'd all have been full. And so it was easier to hold SQ237 rather than putting all 14 pax up in hotels and dealing with rebooking nightmares.
                            Last edited by KeithMEL; 7 January 2007, 05:33 PM.
                            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Working...
                            X