Clear All

• Originally posted by yuuka_miya View Post
    787 sheets are updated to LN1000, with SQ to take the following planes:

- LN856: 9V-SCL
    - LN882: 9V-SCM
    - LN896: 9V-SCN
    - LN938: 9V-SCO
    - LN1000: 9V-SCP
    Wow, first the 1000th Boeing 747 and now SQ is getting the 1000th Boeing 787?
    Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-SPL View Post
      The 10 000th Airbus as well; 9V-SMF.
      Singapore Airlines fan in Sweden.

Comment

• 787-10 is off the SGN route (SQ185/186) for 3 months starting 1 Jun. B772 operates in Jun, A333 in Jul & Aug according to GDS.

Comment

• Air NZ just ordered a further 8 787-10s fitted with GE engines, after its first 13 787s with RR engines have given them a lot headache with the RR engines and had to lease planes as a result. Believe SIA could change its engines to GE for most of its remainder 787s that are yet to be delivered, to avoid more downtime for engine replacements and engine checks as these will take a few years before RR can come up with a updated engine with its turbine blades that wont fail within a year.

Comment

• Originally posted by MainlyMiles View Post
            787-10 is off the SGN route (SQ185/186) for 3 months starting 1 Jun. B772 operates in Jun, A333 in Jul & Aug according to GDS.
            Yes. Sadly I'm now on the oldie 772

Comment

787-10 is off the SGN route (SQ185/186) for 3 months starting 1 Jun. B772 operates in Jun, A333 in Jul & Aug according to GDS.
              Knock-on effect of assigning 78X to SQ872/871 and SQ918/915 from 1 June...

Comment

• Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                Air NZ just ordered a further 8 787-10s fitted with GE engines, after its first 13 787s with RR engines have given them a lot headache with the RR engines and had to lease planes as a result. Believe SIA could change its engines to GE for most of its remainder 787s that are yet to be delivered, to avoid more downtime for engine replacements and engine checks as these will take a few years before RR can come up with a updated engine with its turbine blades that wont fail within a year.
                If memory serves SIA has always gone for RR where the option is available.

Them buying GE engines for the rest of the 787s would set off major alarm bells in RR HQ. Besides, Trent 1000s are also produced locally in Singapore, so that may be a concern too...
                an infrastructure geek

Comment

• Originally posted by yuuka_miya View Post
                  If memory serves SIA has always gone for RR where the option is available.

Them buying GE engines for the rest of the 787s would set off major alarm bells in RR HQ. Besides, Trent 1000s are also produced locally in Singapore, so that may be a concern too...
                  Possibly, but then again SIA should be more concerned with reliability and availability of aircrafts, as with the current RR engines, the 787s are going to have quite a fair bit of unnecessary downtime for engine fan blade checks and even worse when there is a shortage of spare engines when a few 787s have the same problems at the same time and hence the several aircrafts have to be grounded for weeks on end (just like what happened to Air NZ and a few others). This will be financially very straining as well as heavy maintenance and staff costs. As with some near 60 787s, this will be a huge problem for SIA, and with that many planes, it would be good for SIA to have its remainder 787 engines to be changed to GE. At least if there are further and yet to be discovered engine issue with the RRs in near future, the entire fleet of 787s will not be grounded - and at least half of them can fly with the GE engines.

And with RR regional HQ in Singapore, it will be good for SIA to send a clear message that it will not just simply get RR engines and especially with such technical issues that will impede its aircrafts and worsen its company financial position.
                  Last edited by flyguy; 27 May 2019, 09:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-SPL View Post
                    I suppose that 787 will get that sticker.

Comment

Possibly, but then again SIA should be more concerned with reliability and availability of aircrafts, as with the current RR engines, the 787s are going to have quite a fair bit of unnecessary downtime for engine fan blade checks and even worse when there is a shortage of spare engines when a few 787s have the same problems at the same time and hence the several aircrafts have to be grounded for weeks on end (just like what happened to Air NZ and a few others). This will be financially very straining as well as heavy maintenance and staff costs. As with some near 60 787s, this will be a huge problem for SIA, and with that many planes, it would be good for SIA to have its remainder 787 engines to be changed to GE. At least if there are further and yet to be discovered engine issue with the RRs in near future, the entire fleet of 787s will not be grounded - and at least half of them can fly with the GE engines.

And with RR regional HQ in Singapore, it will be good for SIA to send a clear message that it will not just simply get RR engines and especially with such technical issues that will impede its aircrafts and worsen its company financial position.
                      They will probably have a contract with RR already. Breaking that will have financial implications. In addition mixing engine types will have a negative impact on finances in the long term. The problems with the engines are (or should be) short term.

Comment

• Probably may have a issue with breaking RR contract, but however if there's serious issues or flaws like early premature turbine blades cracking in the RR engines there could be a justifiable contractual reason to do so without penalty. Doubt RR can compensate for all the additional aircraft groundings and checks as there are already close to 200 or more 787s fitted with its RR engines which have given so many airlines headaches and airlines resorting to lease planes to cover for the 787s groundings. RR would be bankrupt if it had to pay for all the costs of groundings and lost of aircraft serviceability so far.
                        Do not SIA would have a "financial implications" in having 2 engine types for the 787s as there are sufficient fleet and numbers to justify it like for example if 20 or more of its remaining 787s are switched to GE, there should not be any real issue as there's still some economies of scale, and in fact benefit SIA as it meant that the aircrafts with GE engines do not need to be grounded in numbers for the pre mature turbine blade failures and waiting weeks for replacement engines and also the more maintenance man hours checks on the engines for blade crackings. Safety is also a issue.

Comment

Probably may have a issue with breaking RR contract, but however if there's serious issues or flaws like early premature turbine blades cracking in the RR engines there could be a justifiable contractual reason to do so without penalty. Doubt RR can compensate for all the additional aircraft groundings and checks as there are already close to 200 or more 787s fitted with its RR engines which have given so many airlines headaches and airlines resorting to lease planes to cover for the 787s groundings. RR would be bankrupt if it had to pay for all the costs of groundings and lost of aircraft serviceability so far.
                          Do not SIA would have a "financial implications" in having 2 engine types for the 787s as there are sufficient fleet and numbers to justify it like for example if 20 or more of its remaining 787s are switched to GE, there should not be any real issue as there's still some economies of scale, and in fact benefit SIA as it meant that the aircrafts with GE engines do not need to be grounded in numbers for the pre mature turbine blade failures and waiting weeks for replacement engines and also the more maintenance man hours checks on the engines for blade crackings. Safety is also a issue.
                          The relationship between RR and SQ is not just about selling and buying of aircraft engines. They are long time joint venture partners in engine maintenance.
                          http://www.siaec.com.sg/jv_singapore..._services.html
                          SQ in some way will earn itself revenue when they choose RR.

https://www.ft.com/content/ae898e3a-...5-351eeaef6d84

RR said they settled the compensation, for now at least.

The IP compressor blades for Package C engines are approved and running since late last year. They are now re-designing the blades for other packages as a precaution.
                          https://www.mro-network.com/manufact...nt-1000-issues

<edit>I just realised that I am the problem here, since I am a 'Trent1000'. Should have used a tried and tested engine make for my nick. Don't worry guys, I will get well soon. LOL.
                          Last edited by Trent1000; 29 May 2019, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pokfur View Post
                            Yes. Sadly I'm now on the oldie 772
                            I was booked on the 787-10 to SGN in late June. Just got an email informing me that the 787 has been subbed to a 777 as well. No fun at all.

Was going to do a trip report, but I guess the 787-10 Y TR will have to wait.

This is the 2nd time this has happened to me this year. My 787 on the MNL-SIN sector earlier this year was also subbed to a 777.

Hope RR gets their act together.

Comment

• Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                              I was booked on the 787-10 to SGN in late June. Just got an email informing me that the 787 has been subbed to a 777 as well. No fun at all.

Was going to do a trip report, but I guess the 787-10 Y TR will have to wait.

This is the 2nd time this has happened to me this year. My 787 on the MNL-SIN sector earlier this year was also subbed to a 777.

Hope RR gets their act together.
                              Yup same thing happened to me as well my flights for SQ, NZ and VS which were supposed to be on 787 had to be swapped so my first and only 787 experience is with Scoot.

The RR engine issue is bad and makes the battery issue seem small. The Dreamliner seems more like a Nightmare when compared to the A350s

Comment

• Definitely bad for those airlines with RR powered 787s, rather than for those GE engines.

Comment

Working...
                                X