Dragonair J from Bengaluru to Hong Kong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragonair J from Bengaluru to Hong Kong

It was a cool evening in Bangalore last week, as the white Honda City from the ITC Windsor hotel took me along a modern highway to Bangalore Airport for my Dragonair flight KA153 from Bangalore (Or Bengaluru, as it is now officially known) to Hong Kong.

Sadiq, the soft-spoken hotel driver who had brought me around during the week, had asked me earlier in the week if this was my first time to India. I had replied, “No, I have come here many times!”

As I sped along towards the airport, I recalled my first trip to India 19 years ago, in December 1996...

Back then, after a week of meetings at the Indian software operation of the company I worked for at the time, I checked out of the ITC Sheraton Windsor Manor -- this was what the ITC Windsor was called in those days -- and took a hotel car, a white colored Indian-made Ambassador model, on the short, late night, drive through the city to the nearby airport. This was the old HAL / military airport close to the city that doubled as the civilian airport until 2008, when the new airport was opened.

At that time, the rise of Bangalore as the world’s IT powerhouse was just beginning. The roads were full of two-wheelers, 3-wheelers, and Ambassador taxis, with just a few Japanese cars on the roads.

The hot topic in 1996 was Pizza Hut, which had just opened its first outlet in Bangalore earlier that year. My Ericsson GSM cellphone was useless as there was no GSM coverage/roaming in Bangalore at the time. To speak to Mrs yflyer without incurring exhorbitant hotel IDD rates, I had to walk out of the hotel, across the street, to a manned phone booth where international calls could be made.

A very different period in time, although looking back, in some ways I miss those days. Bangalore weather was (and still is) very pleasant, and the roads were not as congested as they are now. The hotel, one of the top options in Bangalore at the time, was superb, with excellent rooms, F&B, and you were pampered by the staff.

On my drive to the airport in '96, the weather was cool, and the roads were not busy, but the driver used the horn incessantly, as if he was afraid that the car would grind to a halt if the horn wasn’t sounded at regular intervals. During the day the horn was a necessary part of any road trip, at night I suspect it was just habit…or maybe to warn any person (or wandering cow) not to cross our path...
    Last edited by yflyer; 19 April 2015, 08:13 PM.

Back then, Bangalore was already making it big in the world of IT. But the state of commercial aviation was a very different matter.

I arrived at the airport, and took in the sight before me. It was chaos.

I was flying Air India, as SQ flights were completely sold out. So was the Air India flight I was on, and there were people milling about everywhere, with no staff in sight, except for airport security armed with rifles and submachine guns from an earlier era.

There were mosquitos in the airport. Many, many mosquitos. But these were not as aggressive as the mosquitos in Singapore. The ones here flew around slowly, and I did not notice any of them attempting to bite. Maybe they already had their fill.

The check-in counters were closed and unmarked. Someone began to stand at an empty counter, and soon the crowd waiting around formed into something resembling a line, which I joined.

However, at the appointed check-in hour, a counter on the other end of the terminal opened up, and it was total chaos again as the line disintegrated and everyone rushed over to form up on the opposite end of the building.

I handed over my paper ticket and was issued a boarding pass with the seat allocation handwritten on the BP by the check-in staff, after crossing off the assigned seat on the large sheet of paper where the aircraft seating plan had been printed, like the old Singapore cinema seating plans in days gone by.

Security involved both metal detector (Beeped at everyone), and a very thorough pat-down.

At immigration, each passport was scrutinized thoroughly before being chopped forcefully, the loud thud sound of each stamp on paper resonating on the wood panelling of the immigration desks.

I was bused from the gate to the Air India Airbus A310 for the red-eye to Singapore. The inflight meal was a delicious curry, and I somehow managed to sleep in my economy class seat. As IFE, they played an Indian movie on the main screen, that was still playing as we taxied to the stand after landing at Changi (We never got to see the ending of the movie).

No camera phones back then, unfortunately, so I have no photos, only hazy memories. If any readers have experiences of travel to India during that era, do share them as well.

Quite an experience, and I would travel to India many more times over the years, marvelling at how the experience improved by leaps and bounds each time I visited the country.

Comment

Last week, I returned to a very different Bangalore: busier than ever, now with large condominiums, many expensive cars on the streets (At least one garage with the sign “Lamborghini Service”, nestled along a row of very dilapidated shophouses), large malls, many new five star hotels, and a very new airport.

I stayed at the same hotel, now named the ITC Windsor, still part of the Starwood group, and spent a few days there before catching a late night red-eye from Bangalore to Hong Kong on Dragonair.

The airport is now a 45 minute drive away by highway from the ITC Windsor (Further if you are staying at a hotel in the city centre).

The new airport is a modern, state-of-the-art facility.

Comment

These days, a frequent traveller would feel right at home at Bangalore airport. You are still required to show an air ticket or an itinerary to the security officer at the entrance to the airport, but if you don’t have one, or forget to print one, they have printed passenger lists of all departing flights on hand close by, and can check the list, which takes a minute or two, but still preferable to denying you entry.

Check-in was fairly quick. The immigration queue took a little time as many flights depart in the evening (Including Tiger Air to SIN at 1.05am, an Air France 777 to CDG departing at 1.45am, and later at 3am a Lufthansa 744 / 748 bound for FRA), but as I had arrived at the airport fairly early, this was not an issue.

Airside, there is a good selection of F&B and shopping.

If you are early for your flight, there is a spa available for a relaxing massage.

Last edited by yflyer; 19 April 2015, 08:22 PM.

Comment

For premium pax / frequent flyers, there are two lounges available, with the Plaza Premium Lounge being the main lounge for most airlines.

Some pictures of the Plaza Premium Lounge…

Décor in the lounge was stylish and modern, although it did not have a distinctive theme or “look” the way the new CX, QF or SQ lounges do.

There was a manned bar at the lounge, with a selection of wine, beer and liquor available.

Kingfisher beer shared the ice bucket with Grover Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc…

The red wine on offer was also Grover, a Cabernet Shiraz…

Always good to showcase local wines. I’ve always enjoyed Grover wines when in India, especially Grover La Reserve, which one of my Indian colleagues recommended as one of the better Indian red wines.

There was a long buffet counter and live cooking stations.

Comment

Some of the buffet selections…

A good selection of cook to order dishes…

Dessert selections…

There were also showers available.

There is another lounge close by, the “Above Ground Level” Lounge, used by a few other airlines. I didn’t go into that one.

It was then a short walk to the gate.

Comment

Dragonair’s BLR-HKG service is a two-class service: Business and Economy.

Today’s flight was operated by a 3-class A330, so some J passengers would get lucky and be allocated F seating.

Flight time from Bangalore to Hong Kong would be around 5 hours.

The F Seats on Dragonair’s A330 are similar to CX’s longhaul J product. This is an excellent lie-flat seat, perhaps marginally smaller on the A330 compared to the same seat on the 777 (Can any regulars confirm the size difference?).

The F cabin was laid out in a 1-2-1 herringbone.

Comment

I was op-up’ed from Y to J on this flight, and was given a window seat in the J cabin, configured 2-2-2, with the same J product as CX Regional J.

As an op-up, I was of course very pleased to be seated in this cabin. That said, I was not terribly impressed by this regional J product the last time I was op-up’ed on a SIN-HKG sector. Then, I wondered how well this seat would fare on a red-eye…well I would find out tonight…

The seat is a fixed shell design that slides upwards and forwards when reclined. There is also a foot rest that comes up at an angle when activated.

The footwell in front of the seat has fairly limited room.

Each seat comes with a pillow and blanket. The pillow is large and came in an orange/red pillow case with an attractive sheen and texture, but comfort wise and for sleeping, a softer pillow case would have been preferable (Like the soft fabric pillow cases Qantas uses).

Pre-take off drinks were offered.

No champagne on the tray, but the kiwi smoothie looked interesting and that is what I chose…

It tasted very refreshing…

Antiseptic disposable towelettes were distributed (No hot towels…)

IFE would be Studio KA (Identical to the excellent Studio CX on Cathay), on a large and wide touch-screen TV.

USB port…

Also note the slot for your handphone. Big enough for an iPhone 5, but not a 6+.

Remote under the armrest (But seldom needed because of the touchscreen)…

Headphones with leather earpieces. The plug is the standard stereo miniplug so no adapter is needed if you want to use your personal headphones.

Comment

Dragonair gives out really stylish J amenity kits.

The case is designed by trendy bag design company “SEVENTY EIGHT PERCENT”

This is a very high quality bag which simply begs to be reused for a variety of purposes…

Contents included Jurlique skin care and moisturizer products, and a generous tube of Colgate toothpaste (I appreciate a good toothbrush and real Colgate toothpaste as inflight amenities...)

As an after-take off drink, I requested a Jack Daniels whisky…

A good selection of movies, TV and audio were available on Studio KA.

I caught a few moments of “Unbroken”, with Angelina Jolie directing, rather than in front of the camera. This show depicts the amazing true story of an Olympic athlete who survives a plane crash in the sea during WW2 and subsequent time spent in a Japanese POW camp.

The CGI effects depicting WW2 air combat were impressive.

Comment

As this was a red-eye flight, I did not watch the whole movie this time round, and decided to save the rest for a subsequent trip, and tried to sleep for the rest of the flight…

I reclined the seat to the maximum possible recline…

…and tried to sleep.

This was the maximum possible recline…

I did not find this particularly comfortable. Unlike SQ’s regional J on the A330, which is slanted lie flat, this seat, when fully reclined, was still angled. While this was a new regional J product, in terms of actual recline, I don’t think this was an improvement from even the previous generation of conventional push-to-recline J seats. This would have been fine for lounging, but truth be told I had an unusually hard time trying to find a comfortable sleeping position.

The footwell was also very small, and did not allow one a lot of space to move one’s feet. And the foot rest remained at an angle, so it was also not possible for me to turn sideways and bend my knees to rest either.

I did not sleep as well as I had expected to. So while I appreciated the fact what I was in J, if the flight was empty and not full, I might even have been tempted to stroll to the rear of the aircraft to seek out a row of 3 or 4 empty Y seats to stretch out.

The other J pax around me seemed to have no problem sleeping, though, possibly because it was a late night departure, scheduled at 1.20am (actual departure delayed till 1.50am). The pax next to me was asleep for much of the flight, and he didn’t even bother to recline the seat fully…
                    Last edited by yflyer; 19 April 2015, 08:24 PM.

Comment

I eventually drifted off to sleep, and was awakened a couple of hours later by a youthful and cheerful cabin crew member for breakfast.

Three choices for breakfast today…

Breakfast service began with a fruit platter…

And a choice of bakery items from a basket…

Your choice of order for the main was not taken in advance…they actually brought over all 3 choices for you to choose from, which is great once you get over the fact that other pax may have breathed over your main before it was placed in front of you…

I chose the Indian non-vegetarian selection, which was excellent.

I have a theory that spicy cuisine like Indian cuisine always works well inflight because of the strong flavours, and also because curry preparations can only get better the longer they are kept…

What did surprise me was the flavourfulness of the tender chicken chunks, “murgh tulsi tikka”, which were delicious and not overcooked at all…

Comment

It was late morning as we approached Hong Kong. Although we were flying from the west towards HKG, the wind direction meant that we had to fly a great big loop right round Hong Kong Island and Kowloon, for a landing from the east on 25R, rather than straight in on 07L/07R.

I was in a left side window seat, which gave me some of the best views of Hong Kong I have had in recent months, including views of Hong Kong Island from the South, with views of the Hong Kong skyline clearly visible, as well as the theme park rides of Ocean Park visible on the southern end of Hong Kong Island…

As we flew our great arc, the old Kai Tak Airport was also clearly visible on the Kowloon side…

This jogged old memories of the daredevil approach into Kai Tak, flying over the rooftops of apartment buildings before a sharp right turn onto the runway…

On final approach, we also flew past Hong Kong Disneyland, a small scale, and in my view slightly underwhelming, version of the Disney theme parks in America…

…for a smooth landing on runway 25R.

We deplaned at a bus gate…

Always good to be treated to the full tarmac tour before the bus arrived right at immigration…

Comment

Final thoughts? I am impressed by the consistency of hard and soft product between Dragonair and Cathay Pacific. This is very different from SQ and MI, where I cannot see any commonality at all between products offered.

KA has leveraged many of the best features of CX, such as the IFE.

KA catering and inflight cabin service continue to impress me.

The downside of course is that KA have also got the same regional J seat as CX, which looks suitable for short haul J (say up to 3-4 hours) but not really for anything longer than that, and is definitely not state-of-the-art for red-eye flights.

Bangalore Airport is very good as well. It is modern and has great facilities. It may get a little busy in the evenings (immigration queues especially), and the airport already looks to be small for the kind of traffic that passes through it, but apart from that, I found flying into and out of Bangalore a pleasant experience.

And Bangalore itself has change dramatically since my first trip in 1996. The roads and infrastructure have not caught up with the huge growth in traffic, but it is clear that life in Bangalore has become much more affluent over the years, at least if you count the number of malls, high rise condos and continental luxury cars on the roads. Whether these very visible material improvements have been accompanied by similar advances in spiritual/social/family life is something only a local would be able to tell you, but what I can say is that the colleagues and people I met with were all energetic and optimistic about how things were going in their city.

Thanks for reading!

Comment

Nice report!

Reminds me of the 6 weeks I spent in BLR in '11. Back then BLR new airport looked quite bare and MG road was a mess with the Metro construction.

Great you got an Op-Up. I've never gotten an Op-Up before . I too found it very difficult to sleep in one of those regional J seat on a NRT red-eye. The only thing I like about CX catering is the fruit plate is that they seem to be very generous with quantity. Nice aerial HKG shots with decent weather before landing.

Did you get a dedicated F/J bus in HKG?

Comment

Originally posted by dfs24 View Post
                              Nice report!

Reminds me of the 6 weeks I spent in BLR in '11. Back then BLR new airport looked quite bare and MG road was a mess with the Metro construction.

Great you got an Op-Up. I've never gotten an Op-Up before . I too found it very difficult to sleep in one of those regional J seat on a NRT red-eye. The only thing I like about CX catering is the fruit plate is that they seem to be very generous with quantity. Nice aerial HKG shots with decent weather before landing.

Did you get a dedicated F/J bus in HKG?
                              Thanks, dfs24!

Wow! Six weeks in Bangalore, that's a long time!

That first trip to Bangalore, I also did visit MG Road to buy a saree for Mrs yflyer as a souvenir...no malls in Bangalore at the time.

Yes I heard that there was a period of time with the metro construction, and the elevated freeway construction, where traffic congestion was almost unbearable.

I've been op-up'ed very rarely on SQ and occasionally on QF, CX, KA and BA. That said, given the amount of Y travel I do, the op-ups have been relatively more frequent on the Oneworld carriers listed above than on SQ.

No dedicated bus to the arrival area -- all of us on the Dragonair flight used the same bus...

Comment

Working...
                              X