Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just confirmed with KF yesterday night. When we first get Elite Silver, what happens is that the qualification period is reset to the month that you first qualified.

Thus, to qualify to Elite Gold for the 1st time, we must then gather 50K miles, on top of the 25K miles which we just got to qualify for ES.

In essence, to hit Elite Gold, we need to first hit 25K Elite Miles, before getting another 50K for EG, which equates to 75K Miles within a period of 1 + 1 Qualifying year. Argh. I'm in the same situation as you, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to qualify for EG now.
    Life's A Bitch,
    Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

If I am reading what the OP posted correctly then I went through the exact same problem.

After my first trip with SQ I qualified for ES (this was Jan 07) and when I logged in to Krisflyer it said that I had to fly another 50k to qualify.

But then when I flew another 25k miles that year I logged in to see that I was in fact an EG and the pack turned up 2 weeks later. The flight I flew to qualify was the inaugural A380 (Oct 07), the expiration date on my EG is now Nov 08 (amusingly enough, I need to fly 35 miles by then to requalify).

So as long as you fly the extra 25k before your initial ES expires you are all good.

The lesson: Dont believe everything that the computer says..

Comment

Originally posted by Derek View Post
        If I am reading what the OP posted correctly then I went through the exact same problem.

After my first trip with SQ I qualified for ES (this was Jan 07) and when I logged in to Krisflyer it said that I had to fly another 50k to qualify.

But then when I flew another 25k miles that year I logged in to see that I was in fact an EG and the pack turned up 2 weeks later. The flight I flew to qualify was the inaugural A380 (Oct 07), the expiration date on my EG is now Nov 08 (amusingly enough, I need to fly 35 miles by then to requalify).

So as long as you fly the extra 25k before your initial ES expires you are all good.

The lesson: Dont believe everything that the computer says..
        Hmm.. If what you said is correct, then I have a good chance of crossing the EG Gold.. Especially almost all my elite miles started in Sep and I have 35K Elite Miles now.. I'm flying to Paris and Tokyo within a short period of time and there is no doubt I'll cross 15K...

Anyway, I'll keep you guys informed.
        Life's A Bitch,
        Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Comment

hmm, I think it was far more straightforward before the new criteria was introduced mid last year. but no matter, we'll find out on sunday what's the position now - so OP, a lot of people are anticipating the update from you. haha.

just a thought: if what Derek says is true, isn't there a weakness in the programme's system?

like for e.g. i know i will have a Banzai 12 months ahead where I will clock 50,000 miles. can't I just open a new KF account and credit the miles there, instead of putting the miles into an existing account with lets say 3k miles in there?

That way would circumvent the need to hit KF Silver and qualify for KF G with purely 50k rather than 75k.

Or alternatively, if your current rolling membership year is unfriendly you can use the above method as well to get a membership year that suits your planned travel.

As far as I know you aren't required to furnish passport numbers at enrolment. its optional right?

Comment

Originally posted by kelvgoh View Post
            hmm, I think it was far more straightforward before the new criteria was introduced mid last year. but no matter, we'll find out on sunday what's the position now - so OP, a lot of people are anticipating the update from you. haha.

just a thought: if what Derek says is true, isn't there a weakness in the programme's system?

like for e.g. i know i will have a Banzai 12 months ahead where I will clock 50,000 miles. can't I just open a new KF account and credit the miles there, instead of putting the miles into an existing account with lets say 3k miles in there?

That way would circumvent the need to hit KF Silver and qualify for KF G with purely 50k rather than 75k.

Or alternatively, if your current rolling membership year is unfriendly you can use the above method as well to get a membership year that suits your planned travel.

As far as I know you aren't required to furnish passport numbers at enrolment. its optional right?
            The last time I remembered, yes the passport number thing is optional. I guess it probably wouldn't make sense for it to be compulsory since passport numbers does not equate IC number these days for Singaporeans...
            Life's A Bitch,
            Love It

Comment

The flight I flew to qualify was the inaugural A380 (Oct 07), the expiration date on my EG is now Nov 08 (amusingly enough, I need to fly 35 miles by then to requalify).
              If its only 35 miles needed to re-qualify, I'd give Krisflyer a call & ask them if they can re-qualify you now as you're so close.

If you take a flight to qualify, most of the miles won't be counted as elite miles (eg if you went SIN to LHR 6761 miles, 35 would be used to qualify you for EG and the rest disguarded).
              matt_will_fix_it

Comment

Originally posted by inix View Post
                The last time I remembered, yes the passport number thing is optional. I guess it probably wouldn't make sense for it to be compulsory since passport numbers does not equate IC number these days for Singaporeans...
                When I registered for Krisflyer they took my passport details. Mind you this was in Sydney.

Just to make it clear for the OP, this is what happened.

- In Nov 06 I booked my first SQ ticket and signed up for a brand new Krisflyer account. Got sent a kit with the blue card inside it.

- In Jan 07 I took my flights and qualified for ES, got sent the ES kit (with an expiry date of Feb 08) and when I checked my Krisflyer account online my elite miles had reset to 0 and I had 50k elite miles remaining to qualify for EG.

- For the rest of the year I flew 25k miles (IIRC it was 2x SYD - NRT in Y), logged in to Krisflyer and it said I was an EG, the kit arrived (with an expiry date of Nov 08).

So in the one year I got the blue, silver and gold cards..

Hope that helps..

Comment

Originally posted by matt_will_fix_it View Post
                  If its only 35 miles needed to re-qualify, I'd give Krisflyer a call & ask them if they can re-qualify you now as you're so close.

If you take a flight to qualify, most of the miles won't be counted as elite miles (eg if you went SIN to LHR 6761 miles, 35 would be used to qualify you for EG and the rest disguarded).
                  Im not sure what to do with the re-qualification actually, the earliest that I will fly for the rest of the year is in September but if I get them to renew it now I have no idea what my new EG expiration date will be.

(I don't want to hijack this post, maybe I will start a new thread for this)

Comment

Im not sure what to do with the re-qualification actually, the earliest that I will fly for the rest of the year is in September but if I get them to renew it now I have no idea what my new EG expiration date will be.

(I don't want to hijack this post, maybe I will start a new thread for this)
                    If you re-qualified now, your current EG year would end in Nov 08, and you will have re-qualified for next year too, so until Nov 09. At least thats what I'm lead to believe...
                    matt_will_fix_it

Comment

Bad news guys.

Just arrived in Japan, quickly logged on to check my account and BAM;

Thank you for being an Elite Silver Member.
                      Your last login was on 19/5/2008 at 09:36 (GMT+8).

Redeemable Miles
                      KrisFlyer Miles: 55032

Qualification Miles
                      Elite Miles : 20,926
                      PPS Value : S$ 0

still bloody silver

Comment

Originally posted by Vtac82 View Post
                        Bad news guys.

Redeemable Miles
                        Note that it takes 24 to 48 hours to update your status from Silver to Gold - try checking again tomorrow. Also you must have over 50,000 *elite* miles flown in the year since joining Krisflyer to be eligible for *G.
                        Last edited by matt_will_fix_it; 19 May 2008, 12:47 PM. Reason: Updated to state elite miles are required.
                        matt_will_fix_it

Comment

And you need over 25000 Elite miles, not Krisflyer miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Vtac82 View Post
                            Bad news guys.

Redeemable Miles

Qualification Miles
                            Elite Miles : 20,926
                            PPS Value : S$ 0

still bloody silver
                            Don't worry, you'll be Gold in a bit. It doesn't change the tier automatically even though the miles are in, but I'm pretty sure you are EG after you have accrued 50,000 ELITE miles in your first year of your KF membership.

Comment

Originally posted by quik! View Post
                              Don't worry, you'll be Gold in a bit. It doesn't change the tier automatically even though the miles are in, but I'm pretty sure you are EG after you have accrued 50,000 ELITE miles in your first year of your KF membership.
                              I'm hoping you're right. If thats the case, come July I should be EG after my rendezvous with NRT and CDG.
                              Life's A Bitch,
                              Love It

Comment

Originally posted by matt_will_fix_it View Post
                                Note that it takes 24 to 48 hours to update your status from Silver to Gold - try checking again tomorrow. Also you must have over 50,000 *elite* miles flown in the year since joining Krisflyer to be eligible for *G.
                                hmm, my statuses have always been updated immediately. but oh well.

in any case, i get a sense that we're going to get a definite answer to this long running KF G saga soon. haha.

Comment

Working...
                                X