Tips for a day in LA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
    Some nice ones lately are Black Sheep and Eggslut. The latter is nice because you're in Grand Central Market where you can bebop around and get tons of other stuff.
    Thanks for the burger recommendations, HUGE AL!

I absolutely love Pollo A La Brasa Western.

Then again, if it's chicken, you can't go wrong with Zankou (West Side locations). The recipe is so good it spawned the famous Zankou Murders.

Tito's Tacos and Johnny's Pastrami are also excellent and pure LA.
    Zankou chicken sounds really intriguing...thanks for the other recommendations too! Gonna be hard to decide, given that I'm in LA for just a day and a half...

Glad to hear everyone enjoys my Alibi rec. But saying it's "Korean fusion" is not doing it justice. It's really LA Street Food by Roy Choi. Look up Kogi Taco Trucks and you'll understand. You're basically looking at a vessle for handling your food -- a tortilla or a bun. Think KBBQ with kimchee and cheese served as a taco or slider and you get the idea. It's great stuff. And Alibi has TONS of beers and great cocktails.
    Originally posted by Kyo View Post
    I embrace it for what it is, something different. Thumbs up here

(and some of the closer folks here will know I have a certain policy about not doing Asian food when travelling to Western countries, so this recommendation doesn't come lightly)
    The experts have spoken! Looks like Alibi should be at the top of my list...

Comment

We take food seriously around here...

Comment

Just ate at Alibi Room...had 3 "tacos" with different fillings...delicious! One of those places where you would want to return to again and again to try the different items on the menu. Great cocktails and drinks on offer too!

Thanks, HUGE AL and Kyo for the recommendations!

Comment

Catch a game

A little late now but folks who have a day to kill in the US could also catch an MLB/NBA/NFL game depending on the season. That's what I did last month with a full day in San Francisco (01:15am flight out) and managed to catch the San Francisco Giants play the Los Angeles Dodgers. You don't have to be a baseball fan since the atmosphere alone makes it worth going to

Last edited by jonleong; 25 October 2015, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jonleong View Post
            A little late now but folks who have a day to kill in the US could also catch an MLB/NBA/NFL game depending on the season. That's what I did last month with a full day in San Francisco (01:15am flight out) and managed to catch the San Francisco Giants play the Los Angeles Dodgers. You don't have to be a baseball fan since the atmosphere alone makes it worth going to
            Thanks for the suggestion, jonleong! No opportunity to catch any of these games live this time round, although I did manage to catch one of the baseball games on TV. Agree the atmosphere live is much better than TV, though...

Comment

Take me out to the ball game,
              Take me out with the crowd;
              Just buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack,
              I don't care if I never get back.
              Let me root, root, root for the home team,
              If they don't win, it's a shame.
              For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out,
              At the old ball game.

Comment

Working...
              X