Coronavirus : Flight cancellations and contingencies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Metropolitan Airlines View Post
    Interesting it already in discussions with Japan even Japan has not been on the other side of the curve and they are still struggling with Coronavirus especially in Tokyo.

On the other hand, I wonder why such discussions has not been in place with Hong Kong and Taiwan, since I believe these countries are low on Coronavirus cases and therefore it should be quite feasible for Singapore to reopen the border with them once the outbreak with Foreign Worker's Dormitories is resolved.
    Yes hope this minister have discussed with HK, Taiwan and China as these countries have essentially zero or very low virus count. Japan still have some time to go before it can be really be safe to go. But the main issue is whether Singapore circuit breaker be lifted by 1st June, as otherwise if prolonged then not much point in opening up the air routes even though other countries are opened up from covid.
    Last edited by flyguy; 5 May 2020, 04:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-SML View Post
      Personally, I did not take them up on the bonus credits on my revenue PEY booking to the US for April (flights were cancelled by SQ). Gonna be waiting for them to be in touch with me about the refund that I lodged.
      Reporting back, I just received my refund notice from SQ. In short: “You will receive the refund within 4 to 6 weeks, to allow time for the banks to carry out the necessary processes for payment.”

Looks like I should receive the refund to my credit card by mid-June 2020.

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-SML View Post
        Reporting back, I just received my refund notice from SQ. In short: “You will receive the refund within 4 to 6 weeks, to allow time for the banks to carry out the necessary processes for payment.”

Looks like I should receive the refund to my credit card by mid-June 2020.
        Same, just got the refund notice email here. Presumably they're processing refunds with earlier flights first.
        an infrastructure geek

Comment

Interesting it already in discussions with Japan even Japan has not been on the other side of the curve and they are still struggling with Coronavirus especially in Tokyo.

On the other hand, I wonder why such discussions has not been in place with Hong Kong and Taiwan, since I believe these countries are low on Coronavirus cases and therefore it should be quite feasible for Singapore to reopen the border with them once the outbreak with Foreign Worker's Dormitories is resolved.
          Could it be because of the PAP's inherent fear of stepping on China's toes again? Imagine working something out with HK and Taiwan (even worse) before we've completely reopened borders to mainland China... What signal would that send about China versus two of its intractable neighbours (or in their words, parts of themselves)? Don't forget we had to "give" $1 million to the PRCs the last time we closed our borders to them. But don't see the $1 million coming back now that the situation's flipped and China's closed its borders to the world.

Comment

• As far as HK is concerned it does not matter if SQ fly to HKG first as in any case HK have been treated fairly separately to mainland China and secondly HK does belong to China. And SQ can start flying to cities like PVG, PEK and CAN which it does even now but mainly as cargo only flights. Hence flying to TPE should not matter in this instance as again China Airlines have been flying into SIN using its cargo and pax planes even now. The main question to SQ flying pax flights again is when our own government open up the skies for foreigners to fly in as otherwise its pointless to fly when passengers cannot fly into SIN without guarantine.

Comment

It could be as much as HKG not feeling the need to talk or approach SIN yet given our numbers, even local transmissions, are not that great.

Don't assume it's the case SIN is not talking to them, it equally or more likely is the other way.

Comment

• New regulatory requirements for passengers on Singapore Airlines and SilkAir flights

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...t/?id=k94jio5l

Effective 2359hrs on 10 May 2020, in accordance with a Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore directive, all passengers on Singapore Airlines (SIA) and SilkAir flights must:

• Bring their own face mask and wear it throughout the flight
                • Observe safe-distancing measures when embarking and disembarking from a flight, as well as when queueing for the lavatory.

Passengers on flights to Singapore will also undergo a basic health assessment before boarding the aircraft. This includes a verbal health declaration and temperature checks.

Meal services will be suspended for flights within South East Asia and services to China. A snack bag with water and refreshments will be provided upon boarding instead.

Meals will be provided on all other flights. Customers who require special meals can request for one from a reduced list based on International Air Transport Association guidelines.

These measures are in addition to the existing precautionary measures that SIA and SilkAir have in place to safeguard the wellbeing of our customers and crew.

For example, every SIA and SilkAir aircraft undergoes a thorough cleaning process that includes the use of an approved strong disinfectant to clean all common areas.

Our aircraft are equipped with High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filters, which effectively filter more than 99.99% of airborne microbes and have a similar performance to those used in hospital operating rooms.

Adjustments to our inflight services include the suspension of our hot towel service, as well as the removal of menu cards and seatback literature such as magazines on all flights.

Our cabin crew and pilots also have their temperatures taken before flights, do not report for work if they are unwell, and wear masks as well as goggles or eye visors during flights.

Comment

• Does anyone have recent experience with refund of award tickets? I have two award tickets for DPS- SIN in June, where the flight is not operating. I tried cancelling it yesterday. They will refund the taxes but want USD150 for re-crediting the 15000 miles.
                  I recall reading somewhere that they would recredit the miles for free but cannot find that info now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marlon View Post
                    Does anyone have recent experience with refund of award tickets? I have two award tickets for DPS- SIN in June, where the flight is not operating. I tried cancelling it yesterday. They will refund the taxes but want USD150 for re-crediting the 15000 miles.
                    I recall reading somewhere that they would recredit the miles for free but cannot find that info now.
                    Did u use the form request https://www.singaporeair.com/request.form

Think you’ll need to go through this route to get a full refund. I have trips to Japan in June and submitted my request here. Don’t think they process it until later as they now handling May trips refunds first.

Do note did you book after Mar 15 2020? If so you may not be entitled to the refund policy. More details on their COVID19 information page https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...nary-measures/

Comment

• Originally posted by alian View Post
                      Did u use the form request https://www.singaporeair.com/request.form

Think you’ll need to go through this route to get a full refund. I have trips to Japan in June and submitted my request here. Don’t think they process it until later as they now handling May trips refunds first.

Do note did you book after Mar 15 2020? If so you may not be entitled to the refund policy. More details on their COVID19 information page https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...nary-measures/
                      Thank you. I had originally booked the trip in December 2019 for travel in ENd March. I changed it to June on 13 March. So it is just before the 15th March deadline

Comment

• SQ carry only 9300 paxes in April. I think the load factor is 9.3%.

For the cargo, overall load factor is 75% for April.
                        But amt of cargoes carried drop quite a lot.

It seem like south west pacific region have the lowest cargo load factor of 58%. This should be referring to australia and NZ right? So maybe the demand is mainly one way?

https://links.sgx.com/FileOpen/opsta...&FileID=611115

Comment

• Originally posted by sbs2716g View Post
                          SQ carry only 9300 paxes in April. I think the load factor is 9.3%.

For the cargo, overall load factor is 75% for April.
                          But amt of cargoes carried drop quite a lot.

It seem like south west pacific region have the lowest cargo load factor of 58%. This should be referring to australia and NZ right? So maybe the demand is mainly one way?

https://links.sgx.com/FileOpen/opsta...&FileID=611115
                          That probably makes sense. Most of Australia's exports aren't suitable for a plane whereas what we import is.

Comment

• what happened to their full year report.... im itnerested to see their fleet plans

Comment

• Originally posted by ell3 View Post
                              what happened to their full year report.... im itnerested to see their fleet plans
                              The annual report is typically published in late June. The financial results themselves and presentation slides are all we have so far. The airline is not disclosing the detailed fleet plan yet as negotiations with Airbus and Boeing to defer deliveries are ongoing.

They said they will make an announcement on that once they have reached a deal.

They refused to give a straight answer about the future of the A380 at the media / analyst briefing on Friday, confirming only that the 777-200 and A330s are being retired / de-leased this year. The implication was neither fleet would fly again.

Comment

• Originally posted by MainlyMiles View Post
                                The annual report is typically published in late June. The financial results themselves and presentation slides are all we have so far. The airline is not disclosing the detailed fleet plan yet as negotiations with Airbus and Boeing to defer deliveries are ongoing.

They said they will make an announcement on that once they have reached a deal.

They refused to give a straight answer about the future of the A380 at the media / analyst briefing on Friday, confirming only that the 777-200 and A330s are being retired / de-leased this year. The implication was neither fleet would fly again.
                                What about the 737 Max? Think if it is further delay, can SQ cancel the remaining orders n take only those have been made and maybe transfer to Scoot. SQ can just use the 737-800 or maybe A320neo

Comment

Working...
                                X