Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people fly Cathay

Hi all,

I regularly look over in this forum and see people complaining about SQ and I have 0 complaints about them but of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

However when I see people saying they will switch to CX, and indeed see how many people fly CX it does shock me. I have done LHR-HKG, HKG-NGO and HKG-KUL-HKG with them before and thought they were useless! Below is a list of the problems I have had.

The new sliding economy on long haul caused me a severe back pains after 13 hours

The useless entertainment system on the 330 and 773 that runs on a loop on small fuzzy screens with headphone jacks where you have to hold the headphones in to make them work

Unless there is offers generally the most expensive fares, and if there is a cheap fare then 0 mileage.

Abysmal call system took me 45 minutes and 4 people to cancel a flight because I wasn't an Asia Miles member. When I wrote an email to complain about this I still have had nothing back 4 months later.

Outdated planes in need of a refurbish on regional routes eg a collapsing tray table on my flight from KUL-HKG.

Business class lounge access guest rules say that you can't bring a guest in unless your'e a gold member. My dad is flying to London now in business and my sister in economy and they can't get her in the lounge. However BA let her in theirs at HKG and every other airline I've flown business with allows a guest.

This is my experience from 5 flights I have had to do for work and I only did because of timings and after my last experience I will refuse to use them again.

This is of course a matter of opinion and while people may have reasons I can't believe people fly CX and give it such high ratings especially when the fares are so high but this is just my opinion and I would love to hear yours and whether I have just been unlucky.

I presume you were describing Economy?

Most members here who mentioned switching to CX were talking about premium classes and the FFP, as far as i know.

Comment

mainly economy yes but I have heard about their business class being narrow and claustrophobic on the 744 and also to have only been offered one drink bar meal times. Also they noted that they don't cover the food up when they start the business meal so if you get it at the end your food can arrive cold.

However these are 3rd party reports and mine are solely based on economy journeys with them.

Comment

long time ago I flew on CX from BKK to SIN,... upon boarding the plane, I went to my seat and found it occupied.... caught the attention of the FA and told her, the person sitting in my seat was caucasian.... after a while, one FA came back whispered to the person and took him off to J..... and I was left with a seat with used pillow and head rest cover..... worst still, it started dripping from the a/c after a while..... from that day onwards, I told myself that I will never fly with CX unless there are no other choice.... since then I did only once, from Taipei to Hong Kong...
        This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by 17august View Post
          every other airline I've flown business with allows a guest.
          Which might these be?

Comment

Which might these be?
            These were with BA into the departure lounge at LHR T3 in 2008, Delta last year from SIN-NRT and into the NH lounge at HND when flying with SQ before I was gold with them. I am now KF gold and have been able to have a guest when in J everywhere but that may be because I'm gold, not sure.

Comment

These were with BA into the departure lounge at LHR T3 in 2008, Delta last year from SIN-NRT and into the NH lounge at HND when flying with SQ before I was gold with them. I am now KF gold and have been able to have a guest when in J everywhere but that may be because I'm gold, not sure.
              Perhaps you're mistaking an exception for a rule? The airlines above do not permit J passengers without status to guest.

Being lucky thrice does not mean it's a rule.

Comment

Perhaps you're mistaking an exception for a rule? The airlines above do not permit J passengers without status to guest.

Being lucky thrice does not mean it's a rule.
                In that case maybe I was lucky then, I normally fly in Y. But disregarding that point I have still had some big issues with them otherwise and just want to know whether everyone has experienced this or just myself. As Kapitan mentioned he has had some issues. Are the issues experienced only in Y?Or just unlucky enough to have happened to me?

Comment

I am now KF gold and have been able to have a guest when in J everywhere but that may be because I'm gold, not sure.
                  That's not official, but in SIN it's unofficially officially unofficial

Comment

AFAIK, Star Alliance rules are no guest when in business UNLESS you have Star Gold status.
                    My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Friends, family and I have flown CX in Y many times.

CX does some things better than SQ and vice versa.

Nothing more to say really.

Comment

A certain prominent but lately silent SQTalker might be flying them more after today (or when his comp is processed)...

Comment

In biz, food is generally of lower quality than SQ. Service levels aren't very different.The entertainment system on the new planes are fantastic though. I watched the entire season 1 of game of thrones HKG-JFK.

But the biggest draw for me is the willingness to upgrade those with status, even those from non-CX OW programs.

Comment

The general concensus seems to be that the service in the premium cabins is very good, but the Y cabins are lacking and this is reviews from people I have spoken to and on Skytrax reviews. While the entertainment system is good on the new ones the problem is you have to deal with that awful seat in Y.

While you mention about more upgrades I have travelled with *A since this time last year 200,000 miles with mainly SQ but did one journey with NH, one with TK and one with TAP. While I got nothing last year this year I have been rewarded so far with 2 SQ upgrades (both were busy flights so I expect overbooking reason in Y) but have been upgraded also on NH and on UA. Do other *A frequent flyers find themselves getting upgraded frequently? A friend of mine used BA for work from 1992-2008 and never got any upgrades from them.

Comment

Because they fly one stop to Vancouver. Yes other airlines also do that like JL and other airlines, but CX works out the best

Comment

Working...
                              X