Maldives: Where to stay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maldives: Where to stay?

Sorry for hijacking the thread. I've just had a look at the W Maldives and think it looks grand.

I know Ws are in a league of their own. But would comparing both W and Conrad properties in the Maldives be akin to comparing apples and oranges?

The Conrad seems cheaper than the W. If it's a case of value-for-money, my choice would be the Conrad.

Like taipeiflyer, I am interested to know about upgrade availabilities (or lack of) at the W.

Any SQTalkers familiar with the resorts in the Maldives? Please advise. Advice on PADI courses would be much appreciated too.
    Last edited by phaleesy; 21 May 2008, 09:31 AM.

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
    I know Ws are in a league of their own.
    I do believe phaleesy has been hanging out with KeithMEL...
    HUGE AL

Comment

Hi phaleesy, I think I may be of some assistance, although we might have to start a different thread. I have stayed in several of the resorts and will give you a brief summary of each.

Conrad:
      A huge resort. Get the overwater villas if possible. They are on a separate island which is smaller and feels more exclusive. The lagoon is calm, almost like a swimming pool, but very little in terms of coral or fish. The beach bungalows are larger and newer but a bit too cold and modern for my liking. There is a house reef near the beach bungalows which I rate as merely average. Food options are good. Spas are very good! Overall, a bit too brash, crowded and corporate for my liking.

Four Seasons:
      I stayed on the older island. Excellent service and food options! The villas are all newly renovated after the tsunami. The beach is average and the housereef can only be accessible by boat i.e. you can't swim to it. Also a nice spa. Overall, an elegant resort only problem being that I love to snorkel of the beach, which I can't do so here.

Ansagna:
      I stayed on Ihru (spelling?) island. This is technically a 4 star. Small island and the beach villas are quite near one another, so feels slightly less private. The villas are modern and functional. Nice outdoor showers too. Food is ok but limited options and can get quite repetitive even for a one week stay. The highlight is the housereef which is easily accessible from the beach and teeming with corals and marine life. The spa is very good value for money and excellent.

Cocoa island:
      I saved the best for last. All water villas. Smallish resort so more cosy and exclusive. Rooms are lovely, all white linen and dark wood. The house reef is also very good, you can swim directly from your villa or walk to the jetty and swim off from there. But if you are lazy, the lagoon directly behind the villas already has conger eels, turtles etc. Only one restaurant but good food. Can get repetitive if you stay more that one week. The spa is excellent but slightly pricey and if you are a yoga fan, this is a good place to be. Overall, a nicely balanced resort.

Let me know if you need further info.

Comment

Sorry I can't recommend either the Conrad or the W, never having stayed in either before. I generally stay clear of resorts located in atolls which are too far to take a boat to. Its a hassle having to spend the night at the airport hotel (if you've flown on SQ) and then take the seaplane the next morning (the seaplanes dont operate after dark).

I stayed at the Banyan Tree and the Four Seasons some years ago. The Banyan Tree is heaps better than the Four Seasons but both cannot compare with Cocoa Island. We stayed there last September; capacious rooms, excellent food, great staff, and fabulous house reef (meaning you can swim out to neck-deep water and be surrounded by the most amazing fish and marine life). Plus its only a 45-minute boat ride from the airport. Its part of the COMO chain owned by style maven Christina Ong, and you really can't go wrong with any of her hotels. My only bugbear was the price; dinner was easily US$90 per person, but then again everything has to be shipped in, so that adds to the cost.

Comment

I don't think you can really compare the Conrad & the W. The W is much more intimate, infinitely more funky and blends the resort feel and W feel very well together (I am a bit biased here!). The Conrad is a nice resort but for a Wow experience rather than a nice resort, the W is the place to be. The prices generally reflect this, but it is a little bit Apples and Oranges.
          The House Reef at the W is unbelievable also, waist deep in crystal clear and surrounded by multi coloured marine life!

Comment

Originally posted by Snaffled View Post
            I don't think you can really compare the Conrad & the W. The W is much more intimate, infinitely more funky and blends the resort feel and W feel very well together (I am a bit biased here!). The Conrad is a nice resort but for a Wow experience rather than a nice resort, the W is the place to be. The prices generally reflect this, but it is a little bit Apples and Oranges.
            The House Reef at the W is unbelievable also, waist deep in crystal clear and surrounded by multi coloured marine life!
            I've seen pics of the W Maldives and it looks fab. If its got a fantastic house reef, then its got my vote! Do you know which atoll its located on?

Comment

North Ari Atoll .. means a night in lovely Male :-)

Comment

I agree. The resorts have different character. For e.g. some resorts cater predominantly to visitors from certain countries. You might not want to end up in a German resort and have to wake up at 6am to secure your sun-lounger

The W is my top choice for my next visit to the Maldives, although I wouldn't be disappointed with Cocoa Island. The reviews so far have been fantastic and I am glad to hear that the house reef is good too!

Comment

Thank you everyone for your comments.

LHR, I will certainly look into Cocoa. At the moment, it's a toss-up between W and Cocoa. I'm not exactly looking for a Wow experience, so I could very well settle with Cocoa.

The main decision factors are:
                  1. Safe and reliable diving school
                  2. House reef
                  3. Calm water for snorkelling

I'd do a little bit more research and come up with more questions. Thanks.

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                  I do believe phaleesy has been hanging out with KeithMEL...
                  From the tone of the posts so far, I believe we have all been hanging out with KeithMEL.

We can't help being hip and happening, can we?

Comment

If you want something understated but classy, go with Cocoa. I can't recommend it enough. We stayed at the lowest priced rooms, the dhoni suite, which is built to resemble a traditional Maldivian boat and perched on the water. Its very spacious with a bathroom huge enough to swing an elephant by its tail! The terrace leads straight into the water and into the stunning house reef. One day while snorkelling we came across a pod of dolphins just meters away, amazing. The W is newer and more flash, probably has more of a "wow" factor, so it depends on what you want. I guess its like the difference between new money and old money, if you know what I mean.

Comment

I was checking out the W Maldives for future reference and then promptly decided that the only way I'd be able to afford to visit is on a Starpoints redemption. And even then, Cat 7 Suite redemption.

However the Maldives seems too quiet for me. There's a nightclub at the W though.
                      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

The bigger resorts like Conrad have rather happening bars. Conrad also has movie nights on the beach and other activities. Cocoa has no nightlife but I think you are supposed to stay in your room and cuddle.

I have also stayed in the One and Only Kanuhura but that was quite a few years ago. I remember that the beach villas were particularly good and they had an average house reef.

Comment

Just a follow-up to say that thanks to the credit crunch, the cost at the W has dropped by $300 per night plus a $100 daily food/beverage/spa credit! So will be staying there next week.

Comment

Gosh, holy thread-resurrection!

Well, enjoy the W!

Reminds me, I must get cracking on finishing the TR for the Taj Exotica

Maldives resorts affected by the credit crunch, who would've thought!?!

Comment

Lots of pics please!
                              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Working...
                              X