Tips for a day in LA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for a day in LA?

Hi everyone, I am spending a day in LA in late October, arriving around midday on a Friday, and departing for San Francisco late Saturday evening.

Anyone have tips on what to do? Any dining suggestions, sightseeing suggestions, as well as interesting running routes would be welcome.

Also appreciate recommendations for a Marriott or Marriott-affiliated hotel in LA.

Thanks!

In-n-out review please

Perhaps Getty Museum if you're into that stuff.

Comment

Shopping at outlet mall..... Citadel comes to mind...
      This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

I would love some suggestions too as I will be in LA in mid November for 3 nites. Doing it free & easy (1 day in universal studio)

Booked myself into Residence Inn at downtown

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
          In-n-out review please

Hi, 9V-JKL, Yes, will head for a burger while I am there...In-N-Out is always good...here is a write-up of In-N-Out I did last year in San Francisco. Now after your reminder I feel like heading to In-N-Out in LA as well (In fact, I feel like a burger right now! )

Apart from In-N-Out, If anyone else has another LA burger recommendation, I'd love to hear about it! (HUGE AL, this is your cue!)

Thanks as well, for the Museum recommendation!

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
            Thanks, kapitan! Always on the lookout for a good factory outlet (more for Mrs yflyer than for myself...)

Comment

In-n-out review please

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
              Hi, 9V-JKL, Yes, will head for a burger while I am there...In-N-Out is always good...here is a write-up of In-N-Out I did last year in San Francisco. Now after your reminder I feel like heading to In-N-Out in LA as well (In fact, I feel like a burger right now! )

Apart from In-N-Out, If anyone else has another LA burger recommendation, I'd love to hear about it! (HUGE AL, this is your cue!)

Thanks as well, for the Museum recommendation!
              There are actually two locations of the Getty Museum: there's the Getty Villa near Malibu, right on the coastal highway, and the Getty Center which is located in the hills and offers views of LA.

As for In-n-Out, there's one near LAX right below the landing path of aircraft.

Comment

Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
                That's right, a must-go for av geeks like many of us here.

yflyer, you could try Pink's hotdogs. taipeiflyer took me there once

TTOTY, LA is very big and I presume you'll have a car. Tell us your preferences and many here can advise more.

Comment

Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
                  That's right, a must-go for av geeks like many of us here.
                  Thanks, SQGamespeed and 9V-JKL...Wow...the LAX In-n-Out outlet does look like a must-go. Thanks for the heads up!

Looks like the perfect spot for lunch immediately after I land in LAX on SQ12 at 1.25pm...

yflyer, you could try Pink's hotdogs. taipeiflyer took me there once
                  This looks very interesting as well!

Anyone have recommendations for South American or Peruvian food in LA?

Comment

Pink's is awesome, great ambience.

Have had some good Korean fusion cuisine with taipeiflyer at Alibi also

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                      Pink's is awesome, great ambience.

Have had some good Korean fusion cuisine with taipeiflyer at Alibi also
                      Is there a particular outlet of Pink's that I should be looking for? There seem to be a few locations...

Alibi sounds interesting too...that said, I am not so sure about Korean fusion cuisine...classic/traditional Korean food is already so amazing, I'm not sure if adding a fusion twist would necessarily make it better...

Comment

Is there a particular outlet of Pink's that I should be looking for? There seem to be a few locations...
                        N. La Brea Ave. The original location.

Comment

N. La Brea Ave. The original location.
                          Thanks, 9V-JKL!

Comment

Alibi sounds interesting too...that said, I am not so sure about Korean fusion cuisine...classic/traditional Korean food is already so amazing, I'm not sure if adding a fusion twist would necessarily make it better...
                            I embrace it for what it is, something different. Thumbs up here

(and some of the closer folks here will know I have a certain policy about not doing Asian food when travelling to Western countries, so this recommendation doesn't come lightly)

Comment

Also appreciate recommendations for a Marriott or Marriott-affiliated hotel in LA.
                              The RC downtown is nice, but they don't have their own bar.

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                              Dude, I think you've done enough outlet shopping for the entire Board here.

Originally posted by TTOTY View Post
                              Booked myself into Residence Inn at downtown
                              With so many inexpensive hotels in DTLA, you can do MUCH better than THAT.

Some nice ones lately are Black Sheep and Eggslut. The latter is nice because you're in Grand Central Market where you can bebop around and get tons of other stuff.

Anyone have recommendations for South American or Peruvian food in LA?
                              I absolutely love Pollo A La Brasa Western.

Then again, if it's chicken, you can't go wrong with Zankou (West Side locations). The recipe is so good it spawned the famous Zankou Murders.

http://www.lamag.com/longform/the-za...icken-murders/

Tito's Tacos and Johnny's Pastrami are also excellent and pure LA.

Glad to hear everyone enjoys my Alibi rec. But saying it's "Korean fusion" is not doing it justice. It's really LA Street Food by Roy Choi. Look up Kogi Taco Trucks and you'll understand. You're basically looking at a vessle for handling your food -- a tortilla or a bun. Think KBBQ with kimchee and cheese served as a taco or slider and you get the idea. It's great stuff. And Alibi has TONS of beers and great cocktails.
                              HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
                              X