Solo Trip at Manchester, any tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solo Trip at Manchester, any tips?

I'm planning to do a marathon at Edinburgh in late-May, and planning to go to Manchester the next day after the marathon. Here are some questions:

1. Any tips about Manchester? Any place I should visit? Any food I should eat?
    2. Is it safe to travel alone there?
    3. How reliable is the transport services? Planning to take public transport to Manchester Airport.
    4. (Will add more when next time).

Thanks!

Well I don't actually live in Manchester (thankfully ) but can help you out with advice on where to go.

From your list:

1. You will need to give more info about what you are interested in, want to do and also more about what food you like. If you are into football and don't pathologically hate them like some do then a visit to the Theatre of Screams is one option, with official tours available.

2. Depends where you are going and when. The city centre itself is relatively safe, but like any city in the world, think about where you go and when. Common sense overrules most safety advice.

3. Public transport to and from the airport is excellent with trains from Piccadilly (the biggest), Deansgate and Oxford Road Stations and the Trams now run to the airport as well.

Comment

I am from Manchester, or very close. Currently living near by (unfortunately!)

1. As above, what are you into. The museum of Science and Industry is good and its free!
      2. Not as safe as other cities. But you will be ok in the center in busy areas.
      3. Public transport is good in the center. If you go out into other areas its rubbish. The airport train is fine.

Comment

Ok, I'll just travel around within the city area. Is there any famous castles bridges or nice famous buildings nearby?

Also, the SQ flight at Manchester Airport is at 9.10am. How many hours before should I be at the airport? (Almost late for boarding the plane at London Heathrow last time though due to extremely long queues at check-in counters...)
        Last edited by orionmiz; 27 October 2015, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Use the train from the airport to bring you to city. The name of the station call Manchester Piccadilly Train Station. Its practically in the city centre. Just walk down off the train station - you can find lots of shops mainly and a shopping centre called Arndale which can find a lot of things. If Retail Shopping is what you are looking for. Or else, hope on the Magic bus (blue colour double decker bus) and head towards Rusholme (they call it CurryMile) you can find very good indian restaurants such as Shere Khan. But whilst you are there, look for a dessert shop called Moonlight. And try to have their faluda. Its absolutely amazing!!! Navigate around Manchester is very easily. Everything is mostly within a straight main road called Oxford Road. City Centre- University-Rusholme. If you are a big football fan, then I would suggest to go to Old Trafford where the house of Manchester United. There's a stadium tour as well if you keen on it.

Comment

Ok, thanks for the input Hajimbo!

By the way, do Manchester have pre-paid contactless smartcards like Oyster card for travelling?

Does the bus uses fixed fares, area-based fares, or distance-based fares?

Comment

Originally posted by orionmiz View Post
              By the way, do Manchester have pre-paid contactless smartcards like Oyster card for travelling?
              They don't. Not yet anyway. People usually buy week passes that can be purchased on the bus. Be careful if you purchase a pass as some are company specific. For example passes for First buses can only be used on routes operated by that company. If you want to go on a route operated by another company such as Stagecoach they won't accept them. A System One pass can be used on any bus in Greater Manchester - http://www.systemonetravelcards.co.uk/about

Comment

Working...
              X