Fatal bomb attack at Bangkok Erawan Shrine next to the Hyatt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fatal bomb attack at Bangkok Erawan Shrine next to the Hyatt

At least a dozen dead, and that could well rise.

Shocking.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-33963280

I am booked to stay there (the Hyatt!) next weekend......

I wonder if this is the separatists from down south finally coming up to Bangkok ?. I always thought it can only be a matter of time. I can't see it being AQ or ISIL as they would surely have attacked Soi Cowboy, Nana or somewhere like that. Whoever it is it is a shockingly soft target.
    Last edited by MAN Flyer; 17 August 2015, 09:28 PM.

Quite shocked to hear this news too, as I stayed at the Grand Hyatt Erawan two weeks ago as well.

Comment

Just checked and confirmed all my girlfriends are safe.... phew.......

Maybe it better not to stay at the Hyatt Erawan....
      This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Cannot understand at all why people do this...

Comment

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
          Cannot understand at all why people do this...
          If those people had any sense of logic in them in the first place, they most probably wouldn't have committed such an atrocity at all.

Comment

Shocking and appalling. I've walked in that area several times, and will most likely be there again in a few months. My thoughts and prayers with the families and friends of those who lost their lives in this atrocity.

21 have been killed, including one Singaporean:

http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-...g-those-killed

Comment

I was at the Erawan tea room for high tea yesterday evening. I left around an hour before the explosion happened. I was at Centralworld today, the elevated walkway under the BTS was closed across the Ratchadamri intersection in front of the Hyatt. Lots of photographers, press and bystanders hanging around all four corners of the junction.

Just read a grenade exploded in the river near Taksin Bridge.
              The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

Originally posted by viraj735 View Post
                I was at the Erawan tea room for high tea yesterday evening. I left around an hour before the explosion happened. I was at Centralworld today, the elevated walkway under the BTS was closed across the Ratchadamri intersection in front of the Hyatt. Lots of photographers, press and bystanders hanging around all four corners of the junction.

Just read a grenade exploded in the river near Taksin Bridge.
                That's too close for comfort...stay safe!

Comment

Originally posted by viraj735 View Post
                  I was at the Erawan tea room for high tea yesterday evening. I left around an hour before the explosion happened.
                  Crikey that is far too close for comfort. Make sure you do the lottery this week.

I see they have a suspect in a yellow T Shirt leaving a backpack. I can't quite work out who or what has filmed that as there is talking/voices on the video and it is moving, and it seems to follow him ?!.

I suppose it stops them, for now, torturing a confession out of some Burmese migrant workers and saying 'case solved' like they did for the murder of the British couple in Koh Samui.

Comment

Yeah, definitely count myself lucky.

They've reopened the elevated walkway across the intersection.

A friend sent me a photo, the tea room is apparently boarded up now, the exterior glass (facing the shrine) was shattered, I imagine the interior was damaged in some way as well though the entrance with the merchandise remains upright.
                    The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

Despite the CCTV images this enquiry seems to have gone a bit cold (watch them nick him today...), not helped by them not able to stitch some unfortunates up for it due to those CCTV images and world media interest.

Having said that, now that it appears that there was a second device and second bomber (or did he change from yellow to blue top ?) they have issued a second arrest warrant for an unidentified individual. How you can issue arrest warrants for people you still haven't identified I do not know but TiT after all...

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/brea...-30267640.html

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                        Despite the CCTV images this enquiry seems to have gone a bit cold (watch them nick him today...),
                        Only out by a day!. They've got someone, but they don't think he planted it so presumably they are still looking.

They are making everyone write their mobile phone numbers on their arrival forms now.

Comment

Working...
                        X