Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Silver Kris lounge on F ticket but Business Class Seat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Silver Kris lounge on F ticket but Business Class Seat?

Hi SQTalkers,

This is my first post so be gentle with me!

I was lucky enough a couple of months ago to secure an SQ First class RTW fare (travelling from Australia) at a very reasonable price (after drooling over this fare offer for several months I bought it, and then it was withdrawn the next day!). In fact, with all the 777W and A380 surcharges they add on, it wasn't much higher than the business fare.

I decided that it would be nice to fly on the A380 so arranged to depart Australia out of Sydney rather than Adelaide where I live. However, due to the way in which SQ have (I think) complicated their fare structure with the new R class, an F class RTW only allows travel in business (D) class on the A380.

So I was wondering if anybody might know if on a F RTW ticket I will be able to use the SK First Class lounge at Sydney airport, because my boarding pass will be issued as Business Class. Also if I want to use the BTC service, would I be able to choose from the F class menu or have to use the J class menu?

I am really not too concerned either way but was just curious if anyone might know the answers to these questions. I do think that the way SQ have structured their new suites class is a bit unsustainable due to these sorts of complications that it appears to create.

Anyway, I'd be interested if anyone can help with my questions...

Thanks.

Originally posted by TONY_SQ268 View Post
    I decided that it would be nice to fly on the A380 so arranged to depart Australia out of Sydney rather than Adelaide where I live. However, due to the way in which SQ have (I think) complicated their fare structure with the new R class, an F class RTW only allows travel in business (D) class on the A380.

So I was wondering if anybody might know if on a F RTW ticket I will be able to use the SK First Class lounge at Sydney airport, because my boarding pass will be issued as Business Class. Also if I want to use the BTC service, would I be able to choose from the F class menu or have to use the J class menu?
    First of all, welcome to SQTalk!.

I don't think you will get access to the SKL F at SYD with a Business Class Boarding Pass. In fact I'm pretty sure you won't. FWIW the F lounge at SYD is no better than the J side anyway, in fact I prefer the latter. Even better than both is the NZ lounge at the bottom of the corridor. I am sure the same will apply to your BTC, but I don't suppose it would hurt to ask.

On a related note, as much as I can understand you want to 'fly the A380' etc, I would personally go for F on either than 744 or the 77W rather than J on the A380. There is no surcharge for F on the 77W. F is still F is still F, and especially on SQ, F is not something that should be given up easily, A380 or not.

Just my tuppence worth...

Comment

Entry to the SKL is dependent on class of travel of the relevant departure flight, not the class of your paid fare I'm afraid. I reckon this will also apply to your BTC.

I agree with MAN Flyer - NZ lounge at SYD (which you'd be able to access) is much nicer than even the SKL F, decor is a lot better.

Unfortunately I've not been on the A380 so am in no position to recommend one flight over another, but I do usually subscribe to the notion of "F is still F" unless other factors get in the way like the ability to avoid a complicated connection, better schedules etc. Personally I'd go for an F cabin and F service when I've paid for an F fare.
      Last edited by KeithMEL; 26 June 2008, 06:05 PM.
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Thanks for your quick replies Manflyer and KeithMel! Some very good info and advice regarding SYD lounges to use.

I suspected that what you both said may be the case, but thought I'd ask anyway. I'll probably ask on the day just to see what they say!

There were a few reasons for choosing this flight out of the 4 daily flights to Singapore - it allowed a good time margin to my connecting flight to Zurich (3.5 hours instead of only 1 hour - plus time to check out the SKL at SIN); not too early so that I would have to catch a red eye from ADL to SYD; and of course the "novelty" of trying out the A380 J class.

I figure I have another 4 sectors on this trip to experience SQ F class (2 x 744 and 2 x 777W) so can live with the A380 J sector (and also the 777-200 J only service to ADL).

I checked out the BTC menus and from SYD they are almost the same anyway (no lobster thermidor in J class!)

Comment

The lounge access based on the boarding pass. Yours would be the C blue. Thus, the lounge staff will direct you to the SKL C side. But, since you have a connecting flight in SIN in F, if you show both BPs, the lounge dragon might let you go to the F side. (But it's not a guarantee though.)
          If your travel is after 1st of July, hope you will be able to use The Private Room at T3 SKL as an F boarding pass holder.

BTC is definitely based on the booking class. The reservation just look at the class you are booked on, which is C. Thus, no lobster thermidor.

Reading your explanation, your last leg would be for SIN-ADL in 777-200 in J. This would be hard after all those A380 in C, and 744 in F as well as 77W in F. In my opinion, I would fly to MEL or SIN to get the F in 77W or 744 instead.

Lastly, another welcome to SQTalk.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
            Reading your explanation, your last leg would be for SIN-ADL in 777-200 in J. This would be hard after all those A380 in C, and 744 in F as well as 77W in F. In my opinion, I would fly to MEL or SIN to get the F in 77W or 744 instead.
            But it might be even harder if I had to fly Qantas or Virgin back to ADL after enjoying the great SQ service !

That's if I actually get away on this trip with all the QF delays and cancellations at the moment.

Comment

But it might be even harder if I had to fly Qantas or Virgin back to ADL after enjoying the great SQ service !
              But MEL to ADL or SYD to ADL is such a short flight. Thus, I would not mind to deal with it. Yes, it is hard after flying from SIN to SFO or LAX on SQ and later have to connect to Alaska Airlines up to YVR. But yeah, at least that last 2 hours flight is compensated by the prior great enjoyable flight.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                "connect to Alaska Airlines up to YVR":
                I think I would avoid Alaska Airlines at all costs - I always prefer to land on a runway rather than at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean (been watching too many Air Crash Investigation shows ). If only they had greased their elevator jack screw and the pilots hadn't played with the pickle switch on AS261...

Comment

If only they had greased their elevator jack screw and the pilots hadn't played with the pickle switch on AS261...
                  ... but amazing airmanship by the two pilots concerned trying to fly the plane (even upside down) until the end!

Comment

I think I would avoid Alaska Airlines at all costs - I always prefer to land on a runway rather than at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean (been watching too many Air Crash Investigation shows ). If only they had greased their elevator jack screw and the pilots hadn't played with the pickle switch on AS261...
                    Yeah, I've watched almost all the episodes of Air Crash Investigation. I must admit, it did, to a certain extent, affect my decision to fly.
                    We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

Comment

That's if I actually get away on this trip with all the QF delays and cancellations at the moment.
                      Tell me about it. I'm due to fly MEL-AKL with QF on Sunday. But with planned actions on Friday and Saturday I'm quite pessimistic about a delay (or worse cancellation)-free trip. I'm hoping that they'd at least push my ticket to NZ like they always do when QF25 is oversold.

Have also got QF at the end of my trip HKG-MEL, but not too worried about missing a day or 2 of uni and a couple of extra days of swanning around in LKF.
                      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Working...
                      X