The history, milestones, trivia and records commentary and proposals thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The history, milestones, trivia and records commentary and proposals thread

Dear users - herewith is the SQTalk history, milestones and records proposals thread.

Sometime in late May, early June 2006, a group of friends got together and decided that a site dedicated primarily to Singapore Airlines and Krisflyer was a void that needed filling on the internet. After a bit of mulling over, the name SQTalk.com was chosen - logical because that's what we do - Talk about SQ

It took a few days to set up some of infrastructure, but not long after that little chat, SQTalk in it's original guise (using suddenlaunch software) was launched 19th June 2006. StarG was instrumental in the formation during the early days and ran the site.

Very soon after that, we realised that in order to provide the users with a suitable base to go from, we had to upgrade, and on the 31st of October 2006, with a lot of help from MANFlyer, LukeGT and his friend Alex, the SQTalk that you see before you, using vBulletin, was born.

Admittedly, SQTalk is still new, and not yet a year old, but as it goes from strength to strength, and grows, it is important not to forget our roots, and you, the users, that have helped built it.

This thread here:
    salutes, recognises and logs for posterity the the people who helped make the site into what it is today.

It's not quite complete (and we hope it will never be), and needs contributions from the members - so we're taking suggestions for other records or trivia that you think ought to be kept for posterity. Not all of it needs to be serious in nature, nor do they even have to be records for that matter. It could well be that those threads shook the earth or changed SQTalk in some fashion, was just plain noteworthy or alternatively, made everyone laugh. The more of it that brings a smile to the face of a user who "was there" when it happened - the better.

As with most threads we need some help with the research too (most of us here are old fogies who can't remember what we had for breakfast - let alone who came that last do), so lest we forget, this thread is where we keep track of what's worth keeping track of. If we've made a mistake counting, this is where you tell us too!

Through the years and miles that we fly, it's always good to take a step back to remember the good times (no, I'm not Dr. Vijay Mallya) Have fun !
    Last edited by SQflyergirl; 11 August 2007, 07:17 PM.

Have fun all!

Comment

Thanks SQFlyerGirl!This definitely answers my questions; great job!
      Such a way about you, My Singapore Girl. Wouldn't go away without you, My Singapore Girl.

Comment

SQFG....maybe you can put records about most SQtalkers travelling on the same plane/flight???

Comment

Originally posted by blast-off View Post
          SQFG....maybe you can put records about most SQtalkers travelling on the same plane/flight???
          Oh gosh.. lemme do some research on this one......

Comment

SQFG, i suppose the 77W inaugural flight to CDG is the one u're looking for. 4 FTers aboard IIRC.
            There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
            If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

You missed out the part where some of the founders got banished from the evil kingdom.

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post

You missed out the part where some of the founders got banished from the evil kingdom.
                Ooohh, what was this about?

Comment

Originally posted by LukeGT View Post
                  4 FTers aboard IIRC.
                  I'm sure FT's record must be many more than that. I'm more keen on SQters though

Comment

Here's one -

First ever SQTalk do. I can't seem to make it out - There is record of a CGK lon-sin do November 25 2006. If there's another one earlier than that - do let me know.

Most ever SQTalkers at a do - this one's a bit iffy - I'm thinking the KeithMEL 17th July 2007 do was pretty big , but the Feb 25 drinks was big too. Someone want to do the counting?

Cities to host do's:
                    Singapore wins, but how many?
                    London probably a close 2nd
                    Kuala Lumpur: 1
                    Sydney?
                    Melbourne?

Comment

1 in Sydney i think (jjpb3 lunch)?

Melbourne - 1 coming up, and quite a few more in the pipeline I think.
                      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                        1 in Sydney i think (jjpb3 lunch)?
                        That ended up being a lunch between friends (just 2 SQTalkers) ... though a very nice lunch it was.
                        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

I seem to recall a split Do with some in London and some in Singapore on the same day earlier this year ?.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                            I'm sure FT's record must be many more than that. I'm more keen on SQters though
                            my mistake!!! I meant SQTalkers.
                            There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
                            If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                              I'm sure FT's record must be many more than that.
                              Indeed. For just the BA board (I don't know about the others), we had (for example) almost half a dozen rows in CE for the SZG inaugural flight/weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X