Osaka Hotels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Osaka Hotels

After doing extensive searches both here and on TOF, I thought we merited a Master Thread on this topic.
    • I believe MegatopLover has stayed at the Ritz Carlton Osaka. Has anyone else? Is this still the best hotel in Osaka? How is the location?
    • jhm and KeithMEL have commented a couple times about the Westin Osaka. Any others? With the last renovation occurring in 2004, I was a bit wary. Its pricing about ¥10,000 less than the RC and I do have Plat Status, is this a good tradeoff?
    • The Sheraton Miyako Osaka appeared nice via Plat Concierge as it has been renovated in 2007. However, upon further investigation on TOF, people have said the location isn't the best and the rooms are just so-so...even after the reno.
    • The Hyatt Osaka was the first one I checked on as they take care of Diamonds quite well in Japan. However, when inquiring I was told the last reno was in 1994!

Thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by HUGE AL; 6 July 2008, 08:25 AM.
    HUGE AL

I'm a big fan of Osaka. My last trip was in Dec on my way to Hokkaido. IMHO Swissotel Nankai is the best place to stay in Osaka for the following reasons:
    1. Location right in the heart of the food and shopping (better than RC)
    2. The airport express ends at the hotel
    3. In wet weather, there are miles of underground shops you are connected to
    4. Takashimaya is downstairs with a great food hall
    5. Rooms on Club floor very decent

Recommend Momen and Kahala. Just eat what's on the menu

Comment

Being born and raised in Osaka. I would say that Nikko Osaka is located in the best location. It really depends what you are trying to do though.

What are your plans. Drop me a PM if you want. I'm back in Osaka/Kobe area permantly now after 7 years abroad

Comment

Hmmm...I guess the best thing to say is I'm quite used to the PHT and am looking for something similar. Planning to hit quite a few eateries and explore the city for the first time. Just a quick break from the craziness of work. Perhaps cruise to the castle and aquarium, but no too many tourist things planned...heck, not much planned at all...just waking up and figuring out what to do that day...

I also started this thread to help others on their Osaka hotel choices.
        HUGE AL

Comment

I stayed at the Westin Osaka in Feb07. Location isn't too central, but is near some sort of mall with nice restaurants. They do offer a free shuttle bus ride to the 'central' area (where the large department stores and the underground mall are), takes about 5-10 minutes but lines can get long. Service is decent, was gold but got upgraded to club floor room which was spacious but a bit jaded. Decor is a bit dated. Elle Bache amenities in the bathroom. Service was good and staff v accommodating and helpful.

Some pics:

All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
            I stayed at the Westin Osaka in Feb07. Location isn't too central, but is near some sort of mall with nice restaurants.
            The Westin is part of the Umeda Sky Building complex - it has fabulous 360 degree views of Osaka from the top and a food court (with various restaurants) in the basement.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
              Decor is a bit dated.
              Looks a bit scary. But were the beds Heavenly?

Originally posted by jhm View Post
              The Westin is part of the Umeda Sky Building complex - it has fabulous 360 degree views of Osaka from the top and a food court (with various restaurants) in the basement.
              As this was showcased on The Amazing Race, I have been curious to check out the floating garden.
              HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                Looks a bit scary. But were the beds Heavenly?
                Not particularly, doesn't have that 'Heavenly Bed' feel. Pretty generic.
                All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

I forgot to update this thread with my experience last year:

Decided to stay at the Westin. When I got to the room, I was disappointed to see that nothing had changed since others' pictures. Two major problems: while the suite is large, the use of space has to be the worst I've ever seen. The bathroom is quite large, but you really wouldn't know it by its layout. The shower is only big enough for one (HUGE AL likes SkyLoft where the maximum capacity is 18! ).

The other complaint was...well...let's just say the following morning I called the RC and was relieved to hear that their rate was USD$10 less than the Westin prompting me to immediately check out with no penalty and move!

The RC rocks. Club Lounge serves food all day and evening with Champagne flowing. Bartenders are the best I've ever seen (this coming from a fellow peer)! Rooms are clean, comfortable, and well laid out. Highly recommended...well...until the SR opens up next year...
                  HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                    I'm a big fan of Osaka. My last trip was in Dec on my way to Hokkaido. [...] Recommend Momen and Kahala. Just eat what's on the menu
                    I tried to make a reservation at Momen yesterday but am told by the hotel concierge (Westin) that it is fully booked until June so will have to settle for Kahala instead (as I understand it, more elaborate food but at three times the cost of Momen). I asked the hotel to make reservations for Kahala and also a sushi bar (which I found in the new Kyoto/Osaka Michelin guide). However, I was very surprised to be told this:

Cancellation Policy

If you cancel between 12:00pm on 16/02/2010 and 12:00pm 03/03/2010
                    the forfeiture amount will be 20,000JPY for each restaurant on your credit card.

If you cancel after 12PM 03/03/2010 the forfeiture amount will be 30,000JPY for each restaurant on your credit card.

I authorize The Westin Osaka to charge my credit card, if I cancel my restaurant reservation.

[fill in card details; signature etc]
                    I think they're taking the p*ss if they seriously insist that a booking confirmed today with 2-3 weeks to go immediately cannot be cancelled!

Comment

I'm planning going to Osaka - Tokyo for my next holiday... flights is booked now the hotels...

I'm deciding between Hilton Osaka or Westin or RC, from this thread I assume RC is the favorite one

Anyone stayed on Hilton Osaka? any reviews for it?

Also i'm planning to stay at Hilton Tokyo (Shinjuku) since the location is perfect, or should i try Westin?

Comment

I like the Hilton Osaka - nicely appointed and classy. But while it's near Osaka Station, it's not very near anything else. Really depends on what you're in Osaka for. Will post photos in a bit if it would help.

Comment

Can quite recommend the Hilton Tokyo as I've stayed there previously. I'll be there again next week and have passed up on the Westin Meguro as some comments I read are not as encouraging cf my Hilton experience. Also will get to peek into the HT Exec lounge this time..

Comment

Originally posted by kelvgoh View Post
                            I like the Hilton Osaka - nicely appointed and classy. But while it's near Osaka Station, it's not very near anything else. Really depends on what you're in Osaka for. Will post photos in a bit if it would help.

ooo... hilton is not close to anything else? interesting, i always thought - close to main JR Osaka = close to the main district..

But i'll be making Osaka my base for day trip to Kyoto - Kobe - Nara, i guess close to JR osaka station is the advantage? Is Westin close to station? or it more in the main district?

Photo will be great thanks

Comment

Hilton Osaka is just directly across the road from Osaka station. Westin Osaka is about 10 minutes stroll away from the station - not too far.

JR Osaka station is situated near the business district of Osaka (Kita-ku), the more "happening" districts are the areas around Dotonbori (Minami-ku). There's plenty of shopping in Kita-ku, but it's more of the upmarket genre.

The distance between the two isn't far by any means, about 30-45 minutes walk or a handful of subway stations.

There are direct trains to both Kobe and Nara from Osaka station, but the direct train to Nara is slightly less frequent.

Comment

Working...
                              X