Wireless@SG questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless@SG questions

Is there a convenient way to get a Wireless@SG password without having a Singapore mobile phone number? I know the website says you can "can visit any of the operators' customer service centres to register and collect their passwords". But is it a hassle? I assume these centres are more interested in selling their products than dealing with clueless tourists looking for free wi-fi.

Is there any reason to choose one of the three providers (iCell, QMax, SingTel) over the others?

Nope, it's not a hassle at all - just go to the customer service counter as soon as you get past passport control. They give you a slip of paper with a pre-registered temporary username and password

Worth noting that Wireless@SG isn't the fastest broadband in the world though...

Comment

Well, you get what you pay for.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
        But its free

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
          But its free
          Precisely

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
            Any suggestions for a better alternative?

Comment

Sorry, but that's the most workable solution I can recommend for you = Wireless@SG

Comment

Hang on a sec. it's not like people need to download torrents at the airport. It works perfectly fine.
                blog

Comment

Just ask the counter to offer you a temp code ( it valid in about 4hr ) .

Go around and get a new person for a new code . 8hrs should be fine for most people.

Comment

Originally posted by haf View Post
                    Hang on a sec. it's not like people need to download torrents at the airport. It works perfectly fine.
                    Yes, but it keeps dropping VPN connections. Which isn't much good if you're trying to do, err, work

Comment

Get your company to invest in Citrix then you won't have this problem
                      blog

Comment

you can rent a M1 mobile broadband modem from Porter Express at T3 Arrival Hall. IIRC it's 20 bucks per day.
                        We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

Comment

@ Sarah DDS. Look, it's is not as good as wifi in some other airports (VIE comes to mind), but it's fine for general surfing, and no hassle, I wouldn't worry about it. Alternatively, the SQ Lounge wifi is very good indeeed, so you could always go there if you're travelling first/business (or sit outside and squat on the signal...)

Originally posted by haf View Post
                          Get your company to invest in Citrix then you won't have this problem
                          What a typical Singaporean response... i.e. if Singaporean infrastructure is sub-standard, then clearly it's the fault of the user...

Comment

Originally posted by kt74 View Post
                            What a typical Singaporean response... i.e. if Singaporean infrastructure is sub-standard, then clearly it's the fault of the user...
                            Hilarious! As you read, I said the service is fine just like you do. So what's the issue here? VPNs dropping out could be a variety of issues including not having enough tunnels in your VPN infrastructure. Who knows what the problem could be. I haven't had this experience personally.

Okay, sorry to go OT there!
                            blog

Comment

Perhaps things have changed in the last 18 months, but I signed up for a Wireless@SG account in Changi last year (with QMax), and I don't have a Singapore mobile number.

Again, I don't know if the situation has changed since I signed up but I think the service is fantastic - it's more or less ubiquitous across the island; I can get free access to the Internet and almost every public location.

Yes, but it keeps dropping VPN connections. Which isn't much good if you're trying to do, err, work
                              And going off topic, this happens to me all the time, not necessarily with Wireless@SG. Especially if you're using Vista.

Comment

Working...
                              X