Connecting in NYC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting in NYC

If I post this on the AA forum on TOF, it is likely I'd get slaughtered for asking too many silly questions. But I thought some helpful souls here might be able to help.

1. What's the mct at JFK?
    I arrive in JFK at 0705 on CX. Would I be able to connect onto a AA flight to LHR which departs at 0820? CX ticket is part of a RTW. AA JFK-LHR is a separately booked ticket.

If I do not take the 0820 AA flight, I'd take the 1800 AA flight.

2. In both cases, would I be able to check my luggage through from YVR-LHR, without having to collect my luggage like in LAX?

There is an option of taking the CO flight from EWR at 1840. But that would mean having to cart my luggage around for the rest of the day.
    3. I guess I can't interline JFK-EWR?
    4. Is there any place I could store my luggage for the day?
    5. Can I go directly from JFK to EWR, check in early with CO, then have a nice lunch in Manhattan?

Many thanks!

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
    2. In both cases, would I be able to check my luggage through from YVR-LHR, without having to collect my luggage like in LAX?
    mrs.nickbot and I recently tried this (BHX-ZRH-JFK-LAX) but were unable to check bags through. I had no idea one had to collect luggage at JFK (the check-in lady at BHX obviously had no idea either,...then again she didn't know the airport codes for New York Kennedy and Los Angeles ), queue lots of tired messing around upon arrival at JFK and attempts to re-check bags in with UA for the next day's trip to LAX, but we were unable to. I have no idea if this is always the case, but as you mention similar happened to you in LAX it seems like it probably is.

Comment

On international arrivals into US, all checked bags need to be collected.

Then checked in for connecting flights.

That's what the announce on SQ prior to landing in LAX/SFO/EWR/JFK presumably IAH.
      Last edited by 9V-SIA; 1 July 2010, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Your connection is doable in the best of circumstances, phaleesy, but it would make me uncomfortable.

I've had a couple of instances when I got through immigration, baggage collection, and customs (perhaps the last bit is irrelevant in your case) at JFK within 15 minutes. But that has been very rare. Your arrival has to be on time; you'd have to be in the front of the immigration queue (easy if you're arriving on AA, as most of the customers are American passport or green card holders, but I suspect harder on CX); the people in front of you would have to have no issues with their interview; and the baggage handlers on top of their game for that to happen.

Too much potential for delays. IME, the 0820 AA flight tends to leave on time, so your timing strikes me as tight.
        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

1. I wouldn't do the 0820 flight.
          2. You'd have to collect luggage, clear customs, then recheck it.
          3. No. Its carry your own luggage.
          4. Used to be one in JFK, but it closed a couple of years ago in the name of security Only one I know in the city is: http://www.schwartztravel.com/
          5. You could, but its 90 min from JFK to EWR by bus, then another 30-40 min each way between EWR and manhattan by bus/NJTransit.

Comment

Thank you everyone for the helpful responses.

Looks like I'd have to take the evening flight - sleep on the plane, then rush to work on a Monday morning then!

I'd most likely go for the AA flight. CO is cheaper but I think there's too much hassle carting the luggage around Manhattan. AA flight times are a lot more convenient. But I think I still prefer the * alliance US carriers.

So if I'm taking the 1800 AA flight, I'd need to collect my luggage, and recheck them. Would AA allow me to check-in my bags at 0800 for the 1800 flight? I really want to get out to Manhattan for some sinful eats.

Comment

I would also suggest giving that early flight a miss. As jjpb3 says, if all the stars align it's doable, but US airports are the not the places to take such a gamble imho.

I once did FRA-JFK-NRT-SIN straight through, with a 90 minute connection at JFK from SQ26 to my NH flight to NRT. They wouldn't/couldn't check me in for the NH flight at FRA so it was very close, even without checked luggage.

Comment

I've never tired it, but if the itinerary is YVR-JFK-LHR, my guess would be that you can check the bag through and not deal with it at all at JFK. Normally all flights from Canada to the US do customs and immigration on the ground in Canada, so that upon reaching the US, it's treated exactly like a domestic flight. Basically, you enter the US when you go the holding pen in the gate area at YVR. Once you have boarded the flight in Vancouver, it should be as if you are arriving on a flight from Seattle.

Of course, this answer would not apply for SIN/NRT-JFK-LHR.

Comment

Originally posted by MSPeconomist View Post
                  I've never tired it, but if the itinerary is YVR-JFK-LHR, my guess would be that you can check the bag through and not deal with it at all at JFK. Normally all flights from Canada to the US do customs and immigration on the ground in Canada, so that upon reaching the US, it's treated exactly like a domestic flight. Basically, you enter the US when you go the holding pen in the gate area at YVR. Once you have boarded the flight in Vancouver, it should be as if you are arriving on a flight from Seattle.

Of course, this answer would not apply for SIN/NRT-JFK-LHR.
                  CX's YVR-JFK flight, however, is an exception to the rule, since it is a continuation of a flight originating in HKG. As such, CX YVR-JFK passengers clear U.S. customs and immigration at JFK and not at YVR.

Comment

Hi, I will be flying to ORD via NYC for the first time, and I would appreciate if I could get some advice about connecting in NYC. I will arrive on SQ 26 at 11:10 at JFK. Price isn't a factor here. Should I

1) take a mid-afternoon flight from JFK, but on AA/Jetblue/Delta?

or

2) find my way to LGA to catch an evening (ie 4 or 5pm) UA flight which I can accrue miles on?

I'll leave at least 4hours between flights if connecting within JFK, 5 or 6 hours if I have to go to LGA to fly. Sufficient? It will be during winter.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
                      Hi, I will be flying to ORD via NYC for the first time, and I would appreciate if I could get some advice about connecting in NYC. I will arrive on SQ 26 at 11:10 at JFK. Price isn't a factor here. Should I

1) take a mid-afternoon flight from JFK, but on AA/Jetblue/Delta?

or

2) find my way to LGA to catch an evening (ie 4 or 5pm) UA flight which I can accrue miles on?

I'll leave at least 4hours between flights if connecting within JFK, 5 or 6 hours if I have to go to LGA to fly. Sufficient? It will be during winter.

Thanks in advance!
                      I see you going through the same dilemma as I did last month.

Originally, I booked SIN-FRA-JFK then JFK-ORD. Shortest transit time.

Decided against it.

1. I was worried I'd miss my connection if SQ was delayed.

2. I try to avoid anything smaller than A320/737 size aircraft. From JFK, they're all small regional jets.

3. Operators are small airlines I've never heard of flying on behalf of bigger carriers

So decided to do SIN-FRA-JFK/LGA-ORD instead

1. Get to try UA F

2. 757 going / A320 back from ORD. Especially chuffed to get to fly 757

3. Get to try LGA

Plenty of time to make the connection if no SQ delay

Eventually I spent the night in NYC for R&R before the LGA-ORD leg though

Comment

I have decided to fly JFK-ORD, and have to fly the same day I arrive on SQ 26 as I cannot delay my arrival into Chicago. Would anyone be able to advise on the weather in mid-Jan? Do flights get delayed often due to inclement weather?

I'm deliberating between a 4-hour+ connection to fly JetBlue and a 6-hour wait to fly AA, both direct JFK-ORD.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

I have decided to fly JFK-ORD, and have to fly the same day I arrive on SQ 26 as I cannot delay my arrival into Chicago. Would anyone be able to advise on the weather in mid-Jan? Do flights get delayed often due to inclement weather?

I'm deliberating between a 4-hour+ connection to fly JetBlue and a 6-hour wait to fly AA, both direct JFK-ORD.

Thanks in advance.
                          Impossible to predict weather these days but what I'll say is this:

UA pilots are superb. On both legs LGA-ORD-LGA, visibility was poor.
                          Couldn't see land till we were over the airfield. Both times, perfect landings.

No experience with Jet Blue or AA.

Expect delays when it rains. I was delayed 1 hour getting back to LGA.
                          Fellow passenger says that's the norm when it rains.

Pray no storms during that period

Enjoy your trip

Comment

....Would anyone be able to advise on the weather in mid-Jan? Do flights get delayed often due to inclement weather?....
                            This is not a forum for weather forecasts.

Mid January is tricky. Rain/snow/sleet can easily delay/cancel flights. You just need to keep a close eye on weather forecast a few days prior and plan accordingly.

Comment

Alright sure, I'll pray hard. Thanks for the advice. I normally wouldn't take the risk flying via JFK with so little time to spare, but I decided fly SIN-FRA-JFK on 15th Jan

Comment

Working...
                              X