Tipping at hotels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tipping at hotels

Hi all, is there a tipping culture at Conrad HK? I've left a tip in my room for the housekeeping staff and when I returned to my room it was untouched.

Or should I attach a note on it saying it's appreciation tip for housekeeping?

Originally posted by RCTP View Post
    Hi all, is there a tipping culture at Conrad HK? I've left a tip in my room for the housekeeping staff and when I returned to my room it was untouched.

Or should I attach a note on it saying it's appreciation tip for housekeeping?
    Normally, I tip only when I check-out from the room, leaving the cash on the table. Housekeepers tend not to touch anything while you're still checked-in lest they be accused of stealing.

Comment

IME the good hotels in Hong Kong all impose a 10-15% service charge on everything. When this is true, I would only consider offering a tip for something truly extraordinary.

I've never perceived Hong Kong as having a tipping culture any more than elsewhere in Asia such as Japan and Singapore. However, sometimes you find employees (not at top places for very long) who put their hand out to the dumb foreigner and hope that you'll tip far in excess of what a native would.

Comment

Working...
      X