No announcement yet.

SQ B777 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think the issue with the SV-series 772s as well is they have higher weights. It then follows that airport fees and operating costs will be higher simply because they're heavier, which then makes them less than ideal when being abused on flights around the region.

I believe CHC and IST are the last two regular longhaul destinations for this fleet, along with BNE (arguable). At other times, it's being operated into PER and around the region.

Comment

• Originally posted by pokfur View Post
      Seems like the SV- 77E will be going first, sadly. These aircraft were already pioneering short haul lie flat in J!
      Yes, but I wonder which aircraft they will use for IST and CHC. The regional aircraft may not have the range, but A359 is configured with a premium bias. 77E does the job nicely now.

Comment

• Originally posted by 259850 View Post
        Yes, but I wonder which aircraft they will use for IST and CHC. The regional aircraft may not have the range, but A359 is configured with a premium bias. 77E does the job nicely now.
        By the time the 77Es come round to retirement, perhaps the fleet with the largest slack would be the 77Ws, so wouldn't be surprised if that comes to fruitions in the next 1 to 2 years

Comment

• Originally posted by SINFJ View Post
          By the time the 77Es come round to retirement, perhaps the fleet with the largest slack would be the 77Ws, so wouldn't be surprised if that comes to fruitions in the next 1 to 2 years
          But the 77W's configuration is even more "premium" than the A359's with F class and all. Could there be just a small handful of regional A359s with un-derated engines to serve these 2 destinations? They will have the right seat configurations.

Comment

• Originally posted by 259850 View Post
            But the 77W's configuration is even more "premium" than the A359's with F class and all. Could there be just a small handful of regional A359s with un-derated engines to serve these 2 destinations? They will have the right seat configurations.
            I had a thought the other day that they might deploy the 78J on IST and CHC, or alternatively the "regional" A359. If they have a form of lie flat J, that would keep the same premium/economy mix as the current 772ERs. I'm assuming the 78J would have the range for IST, or have they chosen engines/configuration to prevent it? I remember AKL and CHC used to get a specific pair of the SQ/SR 772s that while being "derated" were less so than the others. Those two 772s were the first 'refitted' 772s to be retired.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
              I had a thought the other day that they might deploy the 78J on IST and CHC, or alternatively the "regional" A359. If they have a form of lie flat J, that would keep the same premium/economy mix as the current 772ERs. I'm assuming the 78J would have the range for IST, or have they chosen engines/configuration to prevent it? I remember AKL and CHC used to get a specific pair of the SQ/SR 772s that while being "derated" were less so than the others. Those two 772s were the first 'refitted' 772s to be retired.
              Hah! The good old days with SQI and SRN. They were the only two leased regional 772s. I believe the regional 772s can fill in for the departing a330s to BKK, TPE, MNL and India. They’ve been filling three daily rotations to HKG for the longest time too.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                Originally posted by ell3 View Post
                Hah! The good old days with SQI and SRN. They were the only two leased regional 772s. I believe the regional 772s can fill in for the departing a330s to BKK, TPE, MNL and India. They’ve been filling three daily rotations to HKG for the longest time too.
                Oh yes I remember the good 'ol SQI and SRN too, when they operated to AKL (SQ281/282 then) and CHC. Also remember that the cabin crew find it extremely difficult and tiring working on them due to the lack of proper crew rest areas on those regional birds.

Wonder would the 78J and Regional A359 come with crew rest areas? I think perhaps not since they are meant for regional flights. In this case, from a crew perspective, it would probably again be tough on them working on IST and CHC flights should these regional birds gets deployed to those destinations wouldn't it..?

Comment

• Originally posted by wlgspotter View Post
                  Oh yes I remember the good 'ol SQI and SRN too, when they operated to AKL (SQ281/282 then) and CHC. Also remember that the cabin crew find it extremely difficult and tiring working on them due to the lack of proper crew rest areas on those regional birds.

Wonder would the 78J and Regional A359 come with crew rest areas? I think perhaps not since they are meant for regional flights. In this case, from a crew perspective, it would probably again be tough on them working on IST and CHC flights should these regional birds gets deployed to those destinations wouldn't it..?
                  Good point, I hadn't thought about that aspect. I wonder if the long haul A350s are just filling in on the BNE route until they can be switched to something else? That something else could only be without PEY (A350 regional/78J) or with PEY but also F (77W). You'd think if they wanted the current A359 on IST, they'd have done it by now. CHC is a tricky one though.

Comment

• I have noticed a seat in J is allocated to crew rest when I have flown SQ51/52. Is the crew rest adequate?

Comment

• Updates on 9V-SQK. She's back in the hanger. The damaged skin portion seems to have been cut out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scooter001 View Post
                        Updates on 9V-SQK. She's back in the hanger. The damaged skin portion seems to have been cut out.
                        Seems to be a repair job then.

Comment

• 9V-SRL has been re-registered as HS-XBE and flew to DMK this afternoon (STD/ATD: 1655/1721) as XW923. Still in basic SQ livery.
                          Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-SPL View Post
                            9V-SRL has been re-registered as HS-XBE and flew to DMK this afternoon (STD/ATD: 1655/1721) as XW923. Still in basic SQ livery.
                            Thanks for the update. She will be parked for at least a week. I'm guessing there's further work to be done besides the obvious aircraft repainting.

Comment

• The SV-series 772ERs have now been removed from all SE Asian regional routes. They are specifically flying only to PER, BNE, CHC & IST as of the start of May. SVE only returned to service for a week and has not flown again since. SVL as noted has presumably already left the fleet. Others are spending a day or two, or up to a week sitting on the tarmac. Dummy bookings for SQ247/8 have shown it using the SQ/SR-series transferred from SQ291/2, but it will be interesting to see if this becomes SV-series.

Comment

• Wonder how long more will the 772s remain with SIA as few are approachng or in their 16th years of service. These passenger planes makes it the oldest aircrafts that SIA have operated in its history.

Comment

Working...
                                X