No announcement yet.

LHR - is it FINALLY improving ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you like to have some fun I suggest you try transiting between domestic and international terminal at Mumbai or Dehli. The transfers can take up to 2hours. The distance between Mumbai domestic terminal and international terminal is only 4.8 kms. We tend to get spoint at SIN, HKG and LHR.

Star Alliance is still unrepresented in India for LHR with limited direct route choices to LHR. Currenlty Virgin Atlantic out of Dehli. I am not sure if I will use Air India to fly to LHR once they become a member.

It still seems easier to fly to LHR from India through Qatar or Emirates. Qatar is a partner to LH and BMI and not SIA. I guess the Middle East is still "a hole" for most the alliances notwithstanding Saudi Arabia Airlines has indicated that they will be joining the Scary Team.

Comment

touching down on SQ322 at t3, 0550, and I have a national express bus to catch to victoria bus station at 0830, pick up point at the "Central bus station-heathrow". Enough time?

Comment

Originally posted by isaac View Post
        touching down on SQ322 at t3, 0550, and I have a national express bus to catch to victoria bus station at 0830, pick up point at the "Central bus station-heathrow". Enough time?
        Depends on any delays for SQ322, your passport and/or COS, whether other flights disgorged pax ahead of yours, whether you have checked luggage, and whether you are familiar enough with LHR to navigate the subterranean passages to the central bus station quickly.

I think you have a good chance of making it if your flight isn't delayed and if you get through passport control relatively quickly.
        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
          Depends on any delays for SQ322, your passport and/or COS, whether other flights disgorged pax ahead of yours, whether you have checked luggage, and whether you are familiar enough with LHR to navigate the subterranean passages to the central bus station quickly.

I think you have a good chance of making it if your flight isn't delayed and if you get through passport control relatively quickly.
          Ah thanks for the reply, I didn't see it till now! I decided to change my coach to the 9.55 one, better safe than sorry

Comment

Has anyone been through LHR recently?

On my last two visits, Fast Track has been slower than normal non EU line

They only had one immigration officer at Fast Track and he worked very slowly

How slow was clearance?

Only priority bags at carousel when I finally cleared immigration

I suspect it's a battle by border officers for more staff

Slow the premium paxs and hope the politicians give them more staff

Thank god for the entertainment Americans in the Fast Track line in front of me provided

They were not amused!!

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
              Has anyone been through LHR recently?

On my last two visits, Fast Track has been slower than normal non EU line

They only had one immigration officer at Fast Track and he worked very slowly

How slow was clearance?

Only priority bags at carousel when I finally cleared immigration

I suspect it's a battle by border officers for more staff

Slow the premium paxs and hope the politicians give them more staff

Thank god for the entertainment Americans in the Fast Track line in front of me provided

They were not amused!!
              Most of the time, at best there are only 2 lanes open for Fast Track. So most of the time when I walk past the normal line and even if there's one or two full rows on it, I would join it instead of Fast Track.

While the Americans make a hooha over the queue, I can tell you that the lines for foreigners in the US can be far longer than London. Just two months ago, I queued over an hour for immigration in Houston - bad timing with returning students starting the post-winter quarter.

But I detract; queuing time in Heathrow is definitely not improving as far as T3 is concerned. I shall be there again tomorrow, and like most times, with my earphone plugged in to some great music or an interesting podcast as I wait in the queue.

Comment

Brits please....... It has been something like 10-yrs since I last cleared immigration at LHR. I've only transited, or more often, transited in Europe for flying to Edinburgh directly so the question about immigration comes up for me now, as a UK Passport holder.

I passed through Edinburgh two years ago, I think when passport scanners were being installed and it was a mess. I would assume they have the same scanners in LHR but which UK passports work in the machine and do I need to register the passport beforehand? Thanks.

Comment

AFAIK you'll need a passport with the gold camera symbol on the front. Pre-registration isn't required.

Comment

Thanks, both passports have that little thing on the front so I guess I'll give it a crack in a few weeks. In the words of TG, 'How hard can it be?', right?

Comment

God I hate this place.

To answer the question posed in the thread title, it has actually gone (badly) backwards at T5 in the last year or so. To be fair, this is the best I have seen it in a dozen transits, but a transit at T5 is second only to MIA (and it was catching that last year..) to airports I frequent and is still a disgrace.

Comment

Working...
                      X