Singapore Staycation Series 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singapore Staycation Series 2021

Fast forward to 2021, and with the possibility of travel still very bleak, it was going to be another slew of staycations this year.

Intercontinental Singapore
    Deluxe Room

My 1st staycation of 2021 was at Intercontinental Singapore over the New Year weekend.

A 5-star luxury hotel set in the heart of a historic precinct, a winner of the annual DestinAsian Readers' Choice Awards 2017 and one of the top hotels in Singapore as recognised by Condé Nast Traveler's Readers' Choice Awards 2017, InterContinental® Singapore is the flagship hotel of InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG®) in Singapore. Deeply rooted in the arts and cultural districts of Bugis and Bras Basah, the hotel is well-positioned in proximity to established historical enclaves including Arab Street and Kampong Glam. Located just minutes away from Marina Bay and the Central Business District, the hotel is a short 20 minutes’ drive from Singapore Changi Airport, and offers easy access to the rest of the city with the Bugis Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) train station situated just steps away.

Arrived at the hotel in the late afternoon and check-in was fast as most of the staycation guests had already checked in earlier.

Hotel info sheet

Headed up to the room.

We had the 38sqm Deluxe room for this stay.

The well-appointed Deluxe Rooms exude a residential charm with plush beddings and bespoke furnishings. This inviting light-filled sanctuary features a harmonious colour palette with silk wall coverings and timeless interior decor incorporating elements from Singapore's Peranakan culture.

Entering the room to a hallway.

Wardrobe with bathrobe, safe, slippers and ironing/laundry facilities.

Bench to sit on or for the bags.

Minibar in a heritage-style cupboard. Plunger coffee and TWG teas offered.

My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Bathroom was spacious, with separate tub and shower stall.

Agraria branded amenities.

At 38sqm, the room was pretty spacious as well. Bed was also comfortable for a good sleep. Room design was classy and well-maintained too.

View from the room. It was rainy or gloomy throughout the entire stay.

Checking out the hotel, there is a lobby lounge where afternoon teas and light F&B are served (both I did not partake in).

My Travel Map

Comment

Breakfast was served at the hotel restaurant, Ash&Elm.

Breakfast was served ala-carte style. We were entitled to choose a set each. The highlight of breakfast was the selection of cold-pressed juices.

Starting with bakery items and a selection of tropical fruits.

Coffee and cold-pressed juices.

A Morning Booster set with a side of chicken curry from the Indian set which was offered without questions.

Taste of Singapore set, which was of a generous portion. Overall a rather hearty breakfast.

Checked out the hotel gym, which was very spacious, but with limited equipment available for its size (not sure if some equipment were removed for social distancing).

Pool was fine, but with the few consecutive days of rain and gloomy weather, the water was too cold for a dip!

A short and cozy stay at Intercontinental Singapore for the weekend.

My Travel Map

Comment

Next staycation in January was a hotel that we had always wanted to try. However, before the stay, we had lunch at the nearby Chinese fine dining restaurant at OUE Tower, Tong Le Private Dining.

In Tóng Lč's main dining area, echoes of elegance surround the restaurant. Diners are offered a panoramic view of the stunning Marina Bay waterfront. As one of only two restaurants in Singapore offering the marvelous dining experience in a revolving tower, diners could complete a panoramic tour of the Marina Bay area within two short hours while enjoying the unparalleled cuisine that is uniquely Tóng Lč.

Level 10 of the restaurant offers diners a selection of eight exclusive dining rooms as well as four cosy dining areas. Chic, dark wood furniture in the restaurant exude sophistication and elegance.

We had pre-ordered the 'Colourful Cloud' set menu, as well as 2 additional ala-carte dishes.

Roasted Irish Duck Burger, Uni and Fresh Milk with Scallion

Double-boiled Bamboo Pith Soup with Fresh Prawn Dumpling

Pan-fried Bamboo Clam with Lemon Sea Salt, Crystal Noodles

Braised Pork Rib with Homemade Sauce

During this period, our view has slowly revolved towards the Marina Bay area.

One of the ala-carte dishes ordered is the 48hrs Slow-cooked Pork Belly in Aged 'Hua Diao' Wine.

My Travel Map

Comment

#2 The Fullerton Bay Hotel

The other ala-carte dish is the Poached Baby Spinach with Sakura Ebi and Compoy, in Superior Soup

Back to the last 2 dishes from the set menu, 'Zha Jiang' noodles with Onsen Egg, Seasonal Truffle

Ending with Freshly-grounded Walnut Cream with 'Tang Yuan'

More views during the revolving.

It was a great and exquisite Chinese fine dining experience and worth a try!

After lunch, we headed to the hotel. As you might have guessed, yes we were headed to The Fullerton Bay Hotel.

The Fullerton Bay Hotel Singapore
          Bay View Room

The Fullerton Bay Hotel is a sleek modern hotel that pays tribute to a bygone era.

Elegantly appointed in a contemporary international style, the 100-room waterfront jewel is a spectacular addition to Singapore's vibrant heritage precinct.

Entering the hotel was The Clifford Pier restaurant.

Short walk to the reception area, with Chinese New Year decorations displayed.

After a quick check-in, we headed up to the Bay View room at the highest floor.

The Bay View Room is luxuriously furnished and offers stunning views of the Marina Bay waterfront and city skyline. Bay View Rooms are located from levels 2 to 6.

Upon entering the room

My Travel Map

Comment

Entering the room was a wardrobe with the usual hangers, bathrobes and slippers.

Turning into the spacious toilet, with separate wet shower stall and dry area.

There was also a luxurious tub.

Bath amenities by Balmain, and other amenities in an amenity box.

The spacious bedroom, with a comfortable King bed, work desk and sofa lounging area.

Drinking water provided in glass bottles, and the controls were cleverly hidden in the bedside tables.

A tablet to access hotel info and in-room dining menu.

Hotel provided a birthday set-up for one of our birthdays.

My Travel Map

Comment

Complimentary birthday cake from hotel.

Minibar area. Only the hot chocolate, TWG teas and Nespresso coffees are complimentary.

Highlight of the Bay View Room is certainly the balcony overlooking the Marina Bay area! There is a lounging area with side table as well.

Headed up to the rooftop pool, which is also where the Lantern Rooftop Bar is situated. Even though it was a weekend, the pool area was not crowded and there were still plenty of sundeck chairs.

2 private jacuzzies facing towards Fullerton Hotel.

Relaxing under the late afternoon sun.

Back to the room to enjoy the evening bay view from the balcony.

Last edited by ycp81; 14 March 2021, 11:47 PM.

My Travel Map

Comment

More views

The staycation package included a set dinner for 2. We were provided with the menu choices a week prior to the stay.

Hotel staff setting up our dinner in the room at our pre-selected timing.

A visually appetizing spread!

Bread and butter.

Both of us started with the Chicken and Beef satays.

Followed by the Roasted Vegetable Soup with White Truffle Oil

For mains, we had the Herb Roasted Seabass

And the vegetarian option of Herb-Roasted Impossible Beef Meat Loaf

Ending with a delightful Fullerton Chocolate Cake.

My Travel Map

Comment

Spectacular night views from the balcony.

Next morning, breakfast was served at La Brasserie.

Located in the heart of the historic Fullerton Heritage precinct, La Brasserie serves local and international specials including classic French bistro favourites in a sleek modern setting alongside salubrious views of the Marina Bay waterfront. With two spacious salons and a private room, all with 10-metre-high windows, and an al fresco terrace, it is an ideal choice for business lunches, intimate dinners and weekend brunch.

Breakfast is offered ala-carte buffet style.

Artisanal Bakery Basket, seasonal fruits and a latte to start. A selection of jams were available too.

A very cute off-the-menu masala tea offered by the staff.

We ordered a wide selection of mains, including the Egg White Omelette

Poached eggs with sourdough and Paris ham

Chicken congee and Dim sum

Nasi Lemak

Singapore Laksa

An excellent and quality breakfast, which was way better than what was offered at the sister Fullerton Hotel.

My Travel Map

Comment

Morning jetty view.

Hotel's function rooms which are down a quay-like gangway.

Views of the city and the bay.

Chilling in the morning sun on the balcony.

Took a quick look at the gym, which is pretty small and could only accommodate 2 persons at a time.

And so spent more time at the pool till check-out.

It was a very luxurious and relaxing stay at Fullerton Bay. Even though it is not the most affordable hotel around, the experience and atmosphere is something most other hotels would not be able to match up to. Highly recommended to try.

My Travel Map

Comment

Shortly after the last stay at Fullerton Bay, I had another staycation coming up. However, prior to the stay, we had a nice dinner at Art Restaurant, which is situated at National Gallery.

Sitting elegantly at the top of the iconic National Gallery Singapore with a spectacular panoramic view of Marina Bay, Art is a luxe contemporary restaurant and bar that is presenting a progressive Italian dining experience created and led by Group Executive Chef Daniele Sperindio.

A concept belonging to The ilLido Group, a collection of award-winning Italian dining establishments founded by renowned Italian restaurateur Beppe De Vito, Art continues to push the evolution of Italian gastronomy.

Arriving at the restaurant, we went for an outdoor seating as weather was cooling and it afforded a nice view.

Menu for the night.

Starting with bread and off-the-menu appetisers.

Main show began with the Tuna belly carpaccio and caviar.

Sea scallops with sea urchin emulsion

City and bay lighted up.

Spaghetti with scampi

My Travel Map

Comment

#3 Duxton Reserve Hotel

Roasted Maitake

Chestnut tonnarelli with Foie Gras

Free range duck

Ginaguja Chocolate

And ending the wonderful dinner with fruits, pralines and a cup of tea. It was certainly a feast for the eyes and the mouth!

After dinner, we headed to the staycation venue, which was a short drive away.

Duxton Reserve Hotel
                        Duxton Duplex

Duxton Reserve is perfectly situated in the island city-state’s central district and the eclectic heart of Tanjong Pagar where business, socializing, dining and nightlife take center stage. Duxton Reserve unites a row of heritage shophouses that have been restored under the gifted hand of acclaimed British designer, Anouska Hempel. The original design of this Urban Redevelopment Authority Architectural Heritage Awarded building features a diverse mix of Chinese, Malay and European elements. Guests are in for an eccentric elegant surprise as they enter the hotel that features large golden fans and strong hues of black, gold and yellow, layered with Oriental screens and calligraphy wallpaper from Anouska’s personal collection. It houses Singapore’s favorite bar “Anouska’s” as well as the iconic modern Chinese restaurant “Yellow Pot”.

As described, the lobby was decorated in strong hues of black, gold and yellow.

Our staycation package included 2 cocktails and Yellow Pot's amuse bouche at Anouska's bar. As it was a weekday evening, the hotel bar and restaurant were almost empty.

An ode to Bond girl turned interior designer Anouska Hempel, Anouska’s brings you her favourite drinks from around the world spanning the disco era of the 70s and 80s, coupled with mouth watering delights from The Yellow Pot. The savant of the visual, Anouska Hempel is revered across the world for her originality and for her influence. This is a designer who sees everything, and instinctively understands it. Wherever the trade routes have passed or the trade winds have blown – that’s her territory and at once you are thrown into a throng of creativity that is impelled to take every realm of design to more thrilling and higher heights.

There is mystery, romance, theatre and perfection; an utopian whirl of stories to be told and worlds to unfold. The stuff of dreams, a glimpse of beyond – from dignitary to vagabond – a corner for every inch of thought alongside beauty, delight and charm.

Drinks menu

Last edited by ycp81; 24 March 2021, 11:24 PM.

My Travel Map

Comment

Signature cocktail selection which we could choose 2 from.

We had the Escape to Kaifeng

And the Canton Sour

This was served along with the Yellow Pot Amuse-bouche and candied nuts.

After the drink and light bite. it was time to check out the room. Hallway to the room.

We had booked the Duxton Duplex Suite King for this stay.

Our Duplex Suite is a true reflection of the building's past, offering high ceilings, a spiral staircase, historic character and a ample natural light through big windows. Spanning over two floors, our luxurious Duplex Suite features a grand lounge area and modern amenities.

Entering the 43sqm room was the lower level lounge area.

Minibar area with complimentary water, coffees and loose teas.

My Travel Map

Comment

Up the spiral stairs to the bedroom. Wardrobe is at the entrance to the bedroom.

A comfortable King bed, with a TV mounted on the wall in front.

Entering the bathroom, with separate wet and dry areas.

Bathroom amenities. The shower gel smells pretty nice.

Shower stall with a very powerful rain shower.

A complimentary slice of birthday cake was delivered by the hotel staff.

View from the room the next morning after a good sleep.

Breakfast was served at the Yellow Pot restaurant.

My Travel Map

Comment

Breakfast menu. We were allowed to choose whatever mains we liked from the menu.

Fruits, juice and bakery items to start.

For mains, we ordered the signature Chilli Crab Omelette. It was flavorful but a bit spicy.

Avocado toast with Poached egg. Excellent dish.

Dim sum basket to share. Standard dim sum fare.

Ending with a Pi Lo Chun Green Tea.

Checking out the hotel exterior.

Lunch was at the nearby Mitsu Sushi bar.

A nice weekend stay at this boutique hotel, offering an experience very different from the usual chain hotels.

My Travel Map

Comment

Working...
                              X