SQTalk  

Go Back   SQTalk > General > Airport Guides > Airport Guides - Asia

Old 11th February 2009, 01:14 AM   #1
Caravelle
SQTalk Elite Gold

Default World's Largest Airport Rankings in terms of Net Floor Area Calculations

Does anyone have any data on the world's largest airport rankings (adding up all terminals in the case of multi-terminal airports) in terms of Net Floor Area calculations or even in Gross Floor Area comparisons?
Caravelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 05:33 AM   #2
jhm
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS LPP2

At a guess, the new Beijing Capital Airport, e.g. Google "beijing airport largest".
jhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 06:24 AM   #3
Lobster
SQTalk Founder

Programs: SQ,BA,LH,EK,VS

I believe King Khalid International airport in Riyahd is the largest airport in terms of total area covered (something like 80 square miles). But I have no idea about the largest total terminal square footage.

Ok I have just gooled it as I was curious and it seems that in terms of total terminal area Madrid airport is the biggest at 1 million square meters.

Last edited by Lobster; 11th February 2009 at 06:34 AM..
Lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 07:34 PM   #4
zxcvbn
SQTalk PPS Club

Programs: SQ CX

Click
Here is a link to a wikipedia page - I would trust that it's accurate

Largest airports

DXB T3 1.61m sqft
PEK T3 10.6m sqft
HKG 6.3m sqft
BKK 6.06m sqft
NRT T1 4.73m sqft
Old 12th February 2009, 02:17 AM   #5
huaiwei
SQTalk PPS Club

Programs: KrisFlyer
Send a message via MSN to huaiwei

Even Singapore Changi's total floor area is already 1,045,020 m2, so I have my doubts about Madrid.
Old 13th February 2009, 09:53 PM   #6
SQ225
SQTalk Elite Silver

Programs: BD*G, QF SG, AF Gold, PC Plat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster View Post
I believe King Khalid International airport in Riyahd is the largest airport in terms of total area covered (something like 80 square miles). But I have no idea about the largest total terminal square footage.
A little OT, but I thought that would've been Damman Airport.
SQ225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2009, 12:48 AM   #7
Lobster
SQTalk Founder

Programs: SQ,BA,LH,EK,VS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ225 View Post
A little OT, but I thought that would've been Damman Airport.
Just looked it up and you are right the King Fahd International Airport is huge. Although of course it is 90% dessert so I think it is cheating a bit.
Lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2009, 06:20 AM   #8
MAN Flyer
SQTalk Founder

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, SPG Life Plat, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Dia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster View Post
Just looked it up and you are right the King Fahd International Airport is huge. Although of course it is 90% dessert so I think it is cheating a bit.
I have been to Dammam a couple of times and wouldn't think it that big, certainly not as big as Riyadh, which is indeed a monster for the amount of land it has, althoug it is mostly uused.

Dhahran Airport (DHA) would probably have been considered a fair size land wise as it was a shared facility with the Saudi Air Force base at Dhahran, which is big.

I know this to my cost as I got lost on there a few years ago when my driver took a wrong turn and we ended up at a big security point and got grabbed by a load of angry Saudi Army personnel. This was not a nice experience as they were pointing machine guns at us and screaming stuff in Arabic. I got hit a couple of times as well. My driver looked scared stiff and said 'Sir, this is not a good situation for us'. No sh*t, Sherlock.

It was at the time of all the trouble in Saudi when the attacks on compounds and westerners were going on and they were all on edge, especially the military. Sod's law dictated that when I tried to call the guy who had sent us down there to explain why they didn't need to shoot us, he was out for prayers. We were held for 3 hours until they let me try again and he answered and told them to let us go.

I am not a fan of Saudi Arabia.
MAN Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote