Changi's terminal 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changi's terminal 3

hi everyone, does anyone know on the progress of Terminal 3? When will it be completed?
    BOEING. Forever New Frontiers

My welcome to you to SQT, IanDeYoung.

T3 should be completed by 2008. That's as much as we know right now.

Comment

Mid Jan 2008 if I remember J777 telling us

Comment

I'm curious for updates on the status of T3 as well. On my recent trips through Changi, it looked fairly well on the way to being operable.

AAMOF, I spotted several aircraft parked at T3 gates on Jan. 2nd this year. Landing toward the northeast on the left runway, I had a nice view of T3 from my window seat on SQ 63. I spied an SQ 77W parked at one of the T3 gates, a 772 of some sort, and--of all things--a MEGA ARK parked at one of the gates. Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
          One year more till T3 in Changi is completed!!!!
          "Singapore Girl, You're A Great Way To Fly"

-Singapore Airlines

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post

More likely the last quarter of 2007...around the same period of the arrival of the A380

Comment

Originally posted by mechinois View Post
              More likely the last quarter of 2007...around the same period of the arrival of the A380
              That's what you wish for! But... I believe the opening of T3 will not happen in 2007. Just my hunch.

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
                That's what you wish for! But... I believe the opening of T3 will not happen in 2007. Just my hunch.

You don't need the hunch Its confirmed in 2008. I even know the two tentative dates for the opening.... can't tell yet thou'... sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Jubilee777 View Post
                  I even know the two tentative dates for the opening.... can't tell yet thou'... sorry
                  Now that's not fair.

How about by PM ?, I promise I won't tell.

Comment

Looks like LHR T5 will be operational at about the same time as SIN T3 ... and no hints about what's going to be inside the latter ?

Some interesting snippets about LHR T5 here, e.g. better than the LHR VS CH ?!?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...49#post7151549

Comment

Word from the grapevine is that SQ flights will be organised in the following way after the new terminal opens: T2 for Asian flights, T3 for other international flights.
                      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                        Word from the grapevine is that SQ flights will be organised in the following way after the new terminal opens: T2 for Asian flights, T3 for other international flights.
                        Hmmmmmm.... So connections between long-hauls and intra-Asia will soon require changing terminals? Seems like a big hassle for pax and SQ, as it will have to move baggage around a lot too. Plus they'll need check-in facilities in both terminals, lounges in both terminals, and so on-- lots of duplication. Considering that SQ has so much transit traffic at Changi, this doesn't sound like such a great arrangement. Pax on the kangaroo route would still transit in a single terminal, but European and American and Australian pax taking SQ to basically anywhere in Asia would have to change terminals-- a decent distance at that, 'cause they'll have to cross over (on a bridge above the traffic, I hope) all the roadways etc. between T2 and T3.

Is this because T3 simply isn't big enough to handle all SQ operations? It's a megaproject that's been a long time coming. If it's not big enough, it should have been made bigger. Or Changi should have planned to put someone other than SQ over there (surely a non-starter, considering the flag carrier will want the newest and bestest stuff). Even if T3 can't hold everything, they could put SilkAir or some SQ mainline in the parts of T1 adjacent to T3.

Surely this sounds like a bad idea to other folks.

Comment

How big of a hassle it is to passengers would depend in large part on the implementation. MtL, I think you're right to point out that the extra step of a transit between terminals is a potential inconvenience, but you get the same 'hassle' when going from the far gates at HKG (where the Pier is) to the inner gates (where the Wing is). There's an extra amount of time and a train ride involved, but it isn't too painful ... and it doesn't seem to affect baggage delivery if Hong Kong is a stopover or destination.

If this division of SQ flights happens, I have a feeling Changi's managers have thought long and hard about how to make it feel as seamless as possible. I think they know better than to create a Suvarnabhumi-type fiasco. Or at least I hope so.
                          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

On my last trip, the red kebaya SQ girl informed me that this was going to happen. That SQ would split the flights between T2 and T3. I personally think it would be OK since there will be skytrain to connect the 2 terminals. By the way, would that be any skyway connecting the 2 Terminals? She did tell me that SQ has also advised that all the crews to arrive earlier than usual because of this split.
                            Last edited by UMD; 13 February 2007, 07:46 PM.

Comment

The downside of this would probably be fewer unscheduled equipment changes, for example 772ERs substituting for regional 772s on the intra-Asia sectors.

Comment

Working...
                              X