SIA to spend $20m to build, upgrade airport lounges worldwide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIA to spend $20m to build, upgrade airport lounges worldwide

Singapore Airlines has announced a $20 million programme to upgrade existing lounges at airports worldwide and build new ones.

The investment will cover a 5-year period, SIA said on Thursday.

The announcement comes about a week after the airline unveiled plans for a cabin upgrade which will feature new seats and in-flight entertainment among other enhancements.

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking...dwide-20120823

A more extensive report here, and Sydney will be the first to get the new-look SilverKris lounge.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/singapore-ai...irport-lounges

Comment

Let's just hope it's not just a new coat of paint.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
        Let's just hope it's not just a new coat of paint.
        Or new carpets

Comment

Confirm its just nice decor only.

Compared to THAI's Royal First Class Lounge in BKK or Cathay Pacific's THE WING/THE CABIN in HKG, lacks Jacuzzi, spa, printers, massage chairs, iPads, tarmac view, Sake bar, coffee bar, noodle bar, rainforest showers and other innovative stuff.

Comment

Seems like SQ has been sticking to cosy, dim lighting, brown/navy colour, leather kinda theme

Comment

Official announcement here:

http://www.singaporeair.com/jsp/cms/...s/ne120823.jsp
              F all the way. Settle for J. Usually whY. Sigh.

Comment

Nice that ICN will get a SKL back. I miss the old one. Presumably the new one will be in concourse A

Comment

Sydney will be upgraded first in AU. Melbourne to be expanded and renovated due to be completed by November

http://www.theage.com.au/travel/sydn...824-24qad.html

Comment

I wonder if hong kong's lounge will get a toilet...

Comment

Long overdue. SQ have somehow never got it when it comes to lounges, which is surprising when you think how many other parts of the travel experience they have got right and especially when you see what some of the competition provide these days. I was in BA's Concorde Room at LHR earlier today and the way they have done that with a great 'outdoor' area with lots of space is excellent.

Originally posted by vsepr View Post
                      Confirm its just nice decor only.
                      Really ?. Looking at the official announcements it appears whoever 'confirmed' it got that one wrong.

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                      Nice that ICN will get a SKL back. I miss the old one. Presumably the new one will be in concourse A
                      Indeed. ICN was one of the best SKL's.

Originally posted by hjerapa View Post
                      I wonder if hong kong's lounge will get a toilet...
                      That was announced a while ago, seperately to this.

We know there is a new SKL in the new T2/Heathrow East, plus a new one at ICN.

MEL and MNL are desperately in need of revovation, or even starting again. HKG has recently had a refurb but it's still a windowless grim place to be. Rule number one with airport lounges should be windows or natural light. Lots of it.

Comment

When was it announced that ICN will be getting a new lounge? That's fantastic! (assuming they get it right)

Comment

"Really ?. Looking at the official announcements it appears whoever 'confirmed' it got that one wrong."

It's in the news article that "The design will be crafted by Singapore-based architectural and interior design firm ONG&ONG, which interviewed frequent flyers about their experiences of airport lounges and travel in general before presenting their winning pitch for the new look." it's more on design, decor, no mention of extra amenities in the lounges.

Comment

It's in the news article that "The design will be crafted by Singapore-based architectural and interior design firm ONG&ONG, which interviewed frequent flyers about their experiences of airport lounges and travel in general before presenting their winning pitch for the new look." it's more on design, decor, no mention of extra amenities in the lounges.
                            i wouldn't be surprised if the renovations are simply cosmetic, ie, new carpets and maybe a new coat of paint. ie, no substance.

Comment

I know what it says, as I've read it. Are you sure you have ?

The title of the press release states 'set to redefine Airport Lounge Experience', it mentions 'new design concept' numerous times, also advises of 'testing and evaluation of prototypes' and then 'the next generation of SilverKris Lounges'. Does that really sound like just 'nice decor' to you ?.

Now of course, we are all well aware of SQ's recent track record of doing things as cheaply as possible, and of course it could well be that 'ONG&ONG was selected following an extensive tender exercise involving the participation of both local and international design firms' because they were the cheapest, just like the new website creators. But it doesn't sould like 'just nice decor only' to me, and we'll find out soon enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X