• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qantas does a "me too": introduces A380 R fare

According to this thread on FT:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=828198

Also discussed here:
    http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/comm...0-a-13402.html

Subsequently poked around and found the following MEL-LAX R class fare in Sabre:

26«
    V FARE BASIS BK FARE TRAVEL-TICKET AP MINMAX RTG
    26 R2RT R‡R 22380.00 ---- - -/12M PA07
    PASSENGER TYPE-ADT AUTO PRICE-YES
    FROM-MEL TO-LAX CXR-QF TVL-29MAY08 RULE-5024 IPRP/3
    FARE BASIS-R2RT NORMAL FARE DIS-N VENDOR-ATP
    FARE TYPE-FR RT-FIRST CLASS RESTRICTED
    AUD 23340.00 CONS E23MAY08 D-INFINITY FC-R2RT FN-
    SYSTEM DATES - CREATED 23MAY08/0032 EXPIRES INFINITY

- TESTING - SOUTH PACIFIC NORMAL AND ONLINE FARES FROM
    SOUTH WEST PACIFIC TO THE U.S.A.
    APPLICATION
    AREA
    THESE FARES APPLY
    FROM SOUTHWEST PACIFIC
    TO UNITED STATES.

THE FARE COMPONENT MUST INCLUDE TRAVEL BETWEEN
    AUSTRALIA AND LAX ON
    ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
    ANY QF FLIGHT
    BY AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A380-800.
    At least a 3 grand premium over current F fare....

And rendering QF93/94 MEL-LAX rtn, the only 3 class service on the route, totally ineligible for oneworld RTWs and circle pacifics.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Well to be fair, A$3000 probably isn't much of an increase in the grand scheme of things (especially for their target demographic), it's much less than the difference between R and F on Singapore Airlines (not that that's of much relevance), and the yield on oneworld branded fares probably do not reflect the product offering this airlne is putting on their A380s.

However, it is indeed a surprise. And I bet they just used R to irk Singapore Airlines, not that such a tactic would work anyway !

FIRST CLASS RESTRICTED

Comment

Originally posted by Singapore_Air View Post
      ...the yield on oneworld branded fares probably do not reflect the product offering this airlne is putting on their A380s.
      A very valid point. Nonetheless from a pax perspective, unless they turn QF25/26 (and even then it's via AKL) into a 3 class service with normal F, the implication of the new fare structure totally eradicates the possibility of flying MEL-LAX vv as a single segment altogether on AONEx, AGLOBxx etc type fares.
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

F on QF A380 is not as big a difference in product over the 747 as it is on SQ.

I'm not surprised though. QF set very high fares for premium economy. Which BA matched on the Kangaroo route despite having a far inferior product - I bet that catches a lot of people out unawares given the codesharing arrangements on the route.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
          the implication of the new fare structure totally eradicates the possibility of flying MEL-LAX vv as a single segment altogether on AONEx, AGLOBxx etc type fares.
          Indeed - I agree, and I'm going to suspect that they considered that but it was way down on their lists when it came to this R fare bucket strategy.

Alas......

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
            the implication of the new fare structure totally eradicates the possibility of flying MEL-LAX vv as a single segment altogether on AONEx, AGLOBxx etc type fares.
            Perhaps QF will have "R A J D C I" classess intead of SQ offering just "R C D J Z" on the A380?

I know that when the concorde was still in service on BA, the booking classes were "R A" and RTW F pax and fly on it for a surcharge.

Comment

Working...
            X