SQ A380 Suites from Beijing to Singapore and a run on the Great Wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
    I'm sure you'll have a great time, Nick C!
    In true zero wing speak... ""all your krug are belong to us"

Comment

Originally posted by SQ319 View Post
      Should be the LS though, as there was both a female IFS and CSS in your pictures... unless there was a second CS...
      what a most delightful trip report indeed

judging by the brief glimpse of the lady ifs in one of the pics (her height, hairstyle, posture), I do believe Mrs yflyer flew with someone whom I've had the pleasure of meeting on my flights from before she became ifs

Mrs yfler truly got to fly with one of the best
      Last edited by saobangpo; 5 December 2016, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Fantastic TR as usual, yflyer! Amazing that you ran to the top of that section of the Wall . I was almost out of breath when I just walked there a few years ago (on an admittedly very warm day).

Looks like Mrs yflyer has executed her portion of the TR perfectly. She sounds really enthusiastic about the flight and service too. I definitely should get my fiancée to share a similar level of enthusiasm about air travel in premium classes.

Comment

We set out early, at 7.30am, where Susan, our private guide, picked us up from our hotel, and drove us to the Wall.

How did we choose a guide? The hotel concierge would have been happy to arrange for one, however a week before our trip, SQflyergirl had also visited Mutianyu, and her photos of the scenery were stunning.

I messaged her..."need tips from you on what guide / tour etc" and she recommended Susan, the guide who was taking her around at that very moment.

Nothing beats a personal recommendation, especially from a discerning traveller like SQflyergirl! Susan messaged me within minutes, and the tour for the following week was arranged.

And now, a week later, here we were at the Wall...
          This one has an interesting story. When yflyer messaged me about this - I was actually ON the Great Wall at the time, and standing next to Susan.

He was looking for a guide, so i turned and asked her "what are you doing this time next weekend?" She said "nothing" - so i gave our esteemed TR writer her number and she basically set up his tour. The rest, as you can see, is yet another Epic Trip Report.

Comment

Spoil market!!!!
            This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
              Spoil market!!!!
              lol
              God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Yet another great TR yflyer

Comment

Amazing TR as usual.

Even more amazing because you actually convinced your wife to do a TR. Such dedication you have.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ319 View Post
                    You were very lucky to get such fantastic weather on the day you booked to go Mutianyu! My local friend actually told me to go to Mutianyu only on a day with clear skies to enjoy the views. And kudos for making it up to the 21st station! I went up only to the 19th and was already struggling up what felt like almost vertical ascent!

Great pictures as usual! And if you do head back to Beijing again, do try the Temple Restaurant (TRB for short). Very good, value for money fine dining in a beautifully restored temple.
                    Thanks, SQ319! Yes, we were very lucky with the weather at Mutianyu! It is really very hilly on this stretch of Wall...great for a workout!

Thanks for the restaurant recommendation too! Will look it up next time...

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                    In true zero wing speak... ""all your krug are belong to us"
                    And the Dom too, I'm sure!

Originally posted by saobangpo View Post
                    what a most delightful trip report indeed

judging by the brief glimpse of the lady ifs in one of the pics (her height, hairstyle, posture), I do believe Mrs yflyer flew with someone whom I've had the pleasure of meeting on my flights from before she became ifs

Mrs yfler truly got to fly with one of the best
                    Thanks, saobangpo! Amazed that you can recognize her from the picture! Mrs yflyer found the cabin crew to be great!

Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
                    Fantastic TR as usual, yflyer! Amazing that you ran to the top of that section of the Wall . I was almost out of breath when I just walked there a few years ago (on an admittedly very warm day).

Looks like Mrs yflyer has executed her portion of the TR perfectly. She sounds really enthusiastic about the flight and service too. I definitely should get my fiancée to share a similar level of enthusiasm about air travel in premium classes.
                    Thanks, SQGamespeed! I think the weather does make a difference. Much easier when it is cold, I think. Doing it in the hot sun in summer would be much tougher...

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                    This one has an interesting story. When yflyer messaged me about this - I was actually ON the Great Wall at the time, and standing next to Susan.

He was looking for a guide, so i turned and asked her "what are you doing this time next weekend?" She said "nothing" - so i gave our esteemed TR writer her number and she basically set up his tour. The rest, as you can see, is yet another Epic Trip Report.
                    Thanks again for the recommendation, SQflyergirl! Susan was a great guide!

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                    Spoil market!!!!
                    No lah...

Originally posted by jonleong View Post
                    Yet another great TR yflyer
                    Thanks, jonleong!

Originally posted by dfs24 View Post
                    Amazing TR as usual.

Even more amazing because you actually convinced your wife to do a TR. Such dedication you have.
                    Thanks, dfs24! She takes good TR photos, doesn't she?

Comment

[QUOTE=yflyer;207225]The day's menu...

Shi Quan Shi Mei...

Shi Quan Shi Mei back on the menu? Back in 2014 I flew SQ807 from Beijing on Suites the menu was Ming Jia Zhen Zhuan, replacing SQSM

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthre...+jia+zhen+zuan

Comment

"The Kodai Family" is quite the movie. Shame I didn't get a chance to finish it…and I cannot get it in the USA yet.

...guests over indulging in [food and] the complimentary wine and liquor.
                        A while back, I randomly got in the habit of watching the NatGeo channel before heading to hotel lounges. Highly entertaining to see humans mimicking animals in the wild when the food comes out.

That cocktail station could be a great idea as long as there is someone to supervise and clean up after the craziness.

Aged Moutai -- YIKES!

I didn't know the iPhone Weather app showed air quality.

All these photos are shot on the iPhone?!?

...not that it really mattered for someone seated in 3A...she would have all the time in the world to get settled into her seat.
                        I learned this is NOT the case on UA's 744s.
                        HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by SilverKrisSRG View Post
                          Shi Quan Shi Mei back on the menu? Back in 2014 I flew SQ807 from Beijing on Suites the menu was Ming Jia Zhen Zhuan, replacing SQSM

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthre...+jia+zhen+zuan
                          Yes, Shi Quan Shi Mei was on the menu...

Nice pics of Ming Jia Zhen Zhuan in your TR, by the way!

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                            "The Kodai Family" is quite the movie. Shame I didn't get a chance to finish it…and I cannot get it in the USA yet.
                            You'll just have to fly SQ again, then!

A while back, I randomly got in the habit of watching the NatGeo channel before heading to hotel lounges. Highly entertaining to see humans mimicking animals in the wild when the food comes out.
                            That's hilarious, HUGE AL! Yes, buffets seem to bring out the worst in people...

That cocktail station could be a great idea as long as there is someone to supervise and clean up after the craziness.
                            Not many people seem to mix their own...the whole time I was there I think I was the only one who attempted to mix the DIY cocktails...

Aged Moutai -- YIKES!
                            My jaw did drop when I saw the 50 years aged Moutai on the Dadong restaurant menu at RMB29,800 a bottle (Approx USD 4300!)...

That said, the more reasonably priced bai jiu cocktails at Capital Spirits were actually quite good! But I haven't yet acquired a taste for those thimble sized shots of bai jiu...the nail polish remover aroma just puts me off...

I didn't know the iPhone Weather app showed air quality.
                            Yep, in Beijing it does! Very disturbing...

All these photos are shot on the iPhone?!?
                            All the in-flight photos were shot with the iPhone. I had my Olympus E-P2 with me this time, so some of the food and scenery shots were taken with that.

And a year or so ago, I managed to persuade Mrs yflyer to switch from Samsung to Apple, so her photos of J and R were also all taken by an iPhone...

I learned this is NOT the case on UA's 744s.
                            These days, if an opportunity to fly a 744 anywhere came up, even in Y, I would grab it...even on United! In fact, between a UA 787 in Y and a UA 744, I am certain I would enjoy the 744 more!
                            Last edited by yflyer; 11 December 2016, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Really enjoyable TR as usual. And compliments to Mrs yflyer's excellent photos - its not just the camera quality. The framing and composition etc were all great!

You make a superb team!

And you are really so nice to let your wife enjoy J and R while you sit in the rear cabin. So very nice.

And yes, the Marriott was a good choice. I enjoyed my stay there (and that breakfast!) some years back and it is good to see that the standards are upheld. Unfortunately, my trip did not allow me to have any fun outside - just meetings and talk and talk and talk...yuks.

Comment

Whoa, you outdid yrself yflyer running on the Great Wall! I can't quite make it from yr run app, was it 5k or 10k?

Well done to another vy engaging TR, all the details fleshing out a delightful read and most useful reference for visitors.

Good man you, letting yr wife fly in the cabin ahead just so you can live up to yr moniker in Y

Comment

Working...
                                X