Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse, Half Moon Bay and the Original Hooters (SQ/VS/B6/DL/UA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse, Half Moon Bay and the Original Hooters (SQ/VS/B6/DL/UA)

Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse, Half Moon Bay, Clearwater Beach and the Original Hooters: SIN-LHR-BOS-TPA-ATL-SFO-SAN-SFO-HKG-SIN on SQ, Virgin, JetBlue, Delta and United

There is a first time for everything. While I do a fair bit of travelling for both work and leisure, and try to select different hotels and airlines on each trip just to keep things interesting, there are quite a few gaps on my "To Try" list of airlines, hotels and destinations.

On this recent trip, I managed a few firsts: my first flight on 3 different airlines, Virgin Atlantic, JetBlue and Delta -- all airlines I have heard so much about, but have never managed to fly.

I also visited several places for the first time, among them Tampa and Clearwater Beach in Florida, named the best beach in America by TripAdvisor in 2016, and location of the original Hooters Restaurant, and also the Ritz Carlton at Half Moon Bay, CA, a stunning resort hotel nestled along the Pacific Coast not far from San Francisco.

On this trip, I made brief stops in San Francisco, San Diego, where I finally got to visit the CV-41 USS Midway floating museum, and Atlanta, where I spent a very pleasant Saturday afternoon cycling through the parks and beltway not far from downtown Atlanta.

And while it was not the first time I had visited the flagship Virgin Clubhouse in London Heathrow, it had been more than 10 years since my last visit, and once again I was bowled over by what I saw.

I began and ended my trip on SQ, first SIN-LHR on SQ322, an A380 service, and then SFO-HKG-SIN on SQ1, on a 77WN (9V-SWZ), and flew all sectors on this trip in economy.

Just highlights of the SQ sectors bookending this TR, as I have covered these in detail in other TRs, with most of the write-up focused on the sectors in between...
    Last edited by yflyer; 28 August 2016, 03:35 PM.

My main air ticket for this trip was an open jaw SIN-LHR-BOS & SFO-SIN on Singapore Airlines. The LHR-BOS sector was an SQ codeshare operated by Virgin Atlantic. Within North America, I flew mainly on separate one-way tickets on different airlines, often at rock bottom airfares, given the very competitive nature of air travel within the USA.

SIN-LHR on SQ322 is operated by an A380, with probably near ideal departure and arrival timings for this sector: scheduled for a 2330 HRS departure and early 0555 HRS arrival into Heathrow, which means you can get a good night's sleep on the flight (Just how good really depends on which end of the plane you are in...although I personally sleep fine in Y), and then wake up prior to arrival, with a full day in London ahead of you.

This flight, like almost every other on SQ I have been on, went like clockwork: with SQ's cabin crew making the care and feeding of an entire A380 all seem effortless...

I was on the main deck of the Y cabin, a very spacious 10-abreast affair laid out 3-4-3. While the SQ A380 cabin is no longer the newest Y product available (The 77WN and A350 all have newer versions of the Y product), the 2006 Y product here remains very competitive, and is among the most comfortable economy class cabins I have flown in. Other positives: the A380 cabin is very quiet, and the aircraft has a very stable ride. In terms of sheer roominess, the A380 main deck somehow makes even a 10-abreast configuration feel open and airy.
    Last edited by yflyer; 28 August 2016, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Catering on this flight consisted of a supper service, followed by a full breakfast, and light snacks in between.

The menu...

Beverages...

Supper menu -- three choices of main courses.

I chose the chicken...

The starter and dessert were ok, but not the most inspiring I have had on SQ. The dessert in particular looked a little plain, although it tasted ok.

The main, however, was quite delicious. Tender chicken slices with crisp skin, and fragrant, warm rice. Very satisfying.

Snacks were available during the night, although I slept right through...

Two choices for breakfast...

I chose the noodles...this was delicious...note the return of the real glass (rather than plastic.)

Last edited by yflyer; 28 August 2016, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Today's flight took us directly over Kabul, Afghanistan...too bad I was asleep when we were overhead...the last time I overflew Kabul, the city lights were very clearly visible from cruising altitude. It was a more northerly routing than I had experienced recently, flying very close to Moscow on the way to London.

A smooth descent and on time arrival into London...

At our gate in Heathrow T2.

Comment

SQ uses T2, a wonderful new terminal at Heathrow. My connecting flight, VS11 (SQ codeshare flight number SQ2511), would depart at 1305 HRS from T3.

It was now just after six in the morning...this was a 7 hour transit stop. This may be a slightly long connection for most people, but for those eligible to use the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse (KF Gold, PPS, Business and First/Suite passengers), I would argue that the longer the transit stop, the better!

You would also need some time to get from T2 to T3.

What is the transfer process between terminals at Heathrow?

For a start, if you are only in transit in the UK, your luggage would typically be checked all the way through to your final international destination.

There is no need to clear border control in Heathrow, or fill up the immigration card, if you are just in transit. You are directed through a series of purple signs, to the appropriate transit flow, which includes a free shuttle bus between terminals. A very straightforward process.

I followed the signs...

...directing me to T3.

The buses running between terminals stop at regular intervals...

At that hour in the morning, the bus was not busy...

The bus brought us to T3, where we joined other arriving passengers and headed down another series of corridors before clearing inbound transit security at T3, and then re-entering the airside departure area.

Overall impressions of the transit process? It was quite a smooth process, with clear signage and directions. There is a bit of walking involved, and of course you would want to budget some time for the bus ride, but overall, connecting between terminals at Heathrow was quite a straightforward process. I would be quite happy to do this again in future.

I headed to the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse...

Comment

The Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse in Heathrow is their flagship lounge.

This is a spectacular lounge...

It is a beautifully designed series of spaces where guests can relax, dine, unwind, have fun, and even do a little work if you really had to.

The interior design of the lounge is sophisticated and stylish...with a level of attention to detail that surpasses almost any other lounge I have entered...

There is a well stocked bar that serves a mindboggling array of beverages, liquor, wine and cocktails...

Both casual and formal dining areas...

Areas to relax...

...and play...

...including a couple of retro video game consoles...

Last edited by yflyer; 16 September 2016, 12:12 AM.

Comment

There is a separate large room which is laid out as a study...

Some areas of the lounge have tarmac views...

And there is a small rooftop balcony as well...

Last edited by yflyer; 28 August 2016, 05:19 PM.

Comment

A signature feature of the lounge is the hairdresser and clubhouse spa.

There is a full range of hair and massage/spa treatments available.

The majority of services are on a chargeable basis, however those flying on Virgin flights are entitled to one complimentary 15 minute treatment.

I opted for a 15 minute head massage, which was wonderfully relaxing...

There are shower facilities in the lounge available for guests to use.

There is also a sauna and spa pool available as part of clubhouse spa services, although I did not try those.

Comment

There was a mindboggling array of drinks and cocktails to choose from...

Rather than just offer a list of standard drinks and cocktails, the mixologists at Virgin have come up with an amazing list of original cocktails...

And very much in keeping with the Virgin brand and image, they have partnered with leading clubs and bars to offer their creations at the lounge as well...

Another VS clubhouse signature feature is a lounge area called The Loft...

This is accessible via a staircase from the main lounge level...

...and looks to be a very cool place to spend a bit of time...

When I was there, they were using this section of the lounge to host pop-ups of 5 leading cocktail bars across the world...

Comment

I headed to the deli / restaurant area of the lounge for breakfast...

There is a self-service array of cereal and cold starters...

...and a sit down dining area where you can have a full ala carte breakfast, as well as lunch and dinner later in the day...

This was the breakfast menu...

What an amazing menu for an airline lounge. As an airline, VS does not offer First Class, just Upper Class, which is their business class offering. However, their lounge certainly offers a level of F&B that can only be matched by the First Class offerings of other airlines.

I decided on the smoked salmon, avocado and poached egg on toast...

This was a marvellous breakfast...

Comment

Later in the day, I watched as the lounge staff changed over from the breakfast to the lunch/tapas menu...

Of special note were the varieties of smoked salmon available...

My favourite was the smoked salmon with beetroot...an amazing deep red in colour, and ultra smooth and creamy...

This was the menu for later in the day...

The ala carte menu available from 11.30am...

Along with a full range of tapas-style small plates...

I found myself almost wishing that VS11, a 1.05pm departure, would be delayed just a few hours, which would give me a little more time to sample some of the items on the menu...

Comment

At about 11.30am, before heading to my gate, I sat myself at the bar counter to order a couple of drinks and sample some of the tapas on offer...

Jacquarte Brut Mosaique Champagne...

Some of the wines on offer...

Impressive selection of beer and ale too...

I ordered a Go Figuera...

...and then a Laverstoke Old Fashioned from Dandelyan...

I also tried a couple of the tapas: cauliflower soup and lamb kofta...

...a wonderful snack and a great way to spend time before 7 hours in Economy on VS11...

Comment

I spent a very pleasant morning in transit in the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse. It was fairly empty in the morning but began to fill up closer to mid-day.

This looks to be the type of lounge that can manage a full house quite gracefully...certainly the service staff remained friendly, attentive and efficient even as it got a little busy, and the lounge never felt maxed out the way some other lounges can be.

Comment

Overall impressions of the Virgin Atlantic Clubbouse?

While technically speaking this is a business class lounge, calling it one would not do it justice. To me, this lounge can withstand comparison with the best F lounges I have been to, including the QF Sydney F Lounge, Emirates DXB F Lounge in the A380 terminal and the CX Wing in HKG.

In short, this is one of the most impressive airline lounges I have been to. The level of design, service and catering is far beyond what most other airlines offer.

Time passed quickly in the VS clubhouse, and all too soon it was time to board VS11. I left the lounge and headed to the gate...

Comment

Today's flight was operated by an Airbus A340-600, registration G-VGAS, "Varga Girl"...

This was no longer a new plane..."Varga Girl" was 11 years old...but it was the first time I would be flying an A340-600, and I was thrilled.

The boarding gate holding area was fairly small considering the number of passengers this plane could take, but boarding was very orderly.

The first thing you see when you enter the aircraft is the onboard bar...

The J cabin has 45 fully flat seats in herringbone layout...

There is a small PEY cabin laid out 2-3-2.

Comment

Working...
                              X