No announcement yet.

Scoot to move operations to Changi Airport's Terminal 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Apron will be affected as well, mainly by the proposed works for the tunnel connections (People Mover and Baggage) to the future T5 Terminal and the extension of the MRT from T2 to T5. Works were originally scheduled to start later this year.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ025 View Post
      The Apron will be affected as well, mainly by the proposed works for the tunnel connections (People Mover and Baggage) to the future T5 Terminal and the extension of the MRT from T2 to T5. Works were originally scheduled to start later this year.
      Are you sure that the project will have the extension of the MRT from T2 to T5? According to plans, doesn't seem to have it, other than the Cross Island Line/Thomson-East Coast Line to T5.

Comment

I'd keep an eye on stand E20 at least - the MRT tunnels end just before it.

Who knows, if they're going to have to tunnel for the Skytrain, they could probably decide to provide an extension for the MRT as well. Having to use different lines from the CBD to each terminal precinct could end up being pretty disastrous.
        an infrastructure geek

Comment

In my opinion SQ should operate in 1 terminal, maybe T3 and bring all the *A to T3
          visit my blog

Comment

That's the eventual plan with T5, but we'll need to do something in the meantime.

If not for the fact that BA and QF already made significant investments in T1, they could move to T2, and allow SIA's T2 operations to move to T1 as well, but do all check in in T3.

Then as far as possible, you'd assign C pier gates to SIA group airlines.
            an infrastructure geek

Comment

Originally posted by 9VSSA View Post
              Are you sure that the project will have the extension of the MRT from T2 to T5? According to plans, doesn't seem to have it, other than the Cross Island Line/Thomson-East Coast Line to T5.
              LTA has opened the tender for contract T316, which is the extension of the existing Airport Line from T2 into future T5. Tender will close soon, so under normal circumstances works should commence later this year.

BUT, CAG tender for the People Mover and baggage tunnel were put on hold in march 2019, this may have an (time) impact onto LTAs works in that area.

Comment

My understanding of contract T316 is that it should be a TEL project. So it's more likely that T316 involves extension of TEL from Sungei Bedok to T5.
                an infrastructure geek

Comment

Originally posted by yuuka_miya View Post
                  That's the eventual plan with T5, but we'll need to do something in the meantime.

If not for the fact that BA and QF already made significant investments in T1, they could move to T2, and allow SIA's T2 operations to move to T1 as well, but do all check in in T3.

Then as far as possible, you'd assign C pier gates to SIA group airlines.
                  But T5 will not open until 2030 right?
                  visit my blog

Comment

My understanding of contract T316 is that it should be a TEL project. So it's more likely that T316 involves extension of TEL from Sungei Bedok to T5.
                    You can buy the tender documents if you don't believe it.

Anyway, with the TEL being connected to Expo station it doesn't make much sense to construct a direct connection from Sungei Bedok to T5.
                    Last edited by SQ025; 9 May 2019, 02:05 PM.

Comment

You can buy the tender documents if you don't believe it.

Anyway, with the TEL being connected to Expo station it doesn't make much sense to construct a direct connection from Sungei Bedok to T5.
                      Well, I'm not so sure:

http://erl-construction.blogspot.com...ension-to.html

The link to Expo is done as an extension of the Downtown Line.

Originally posted by lingua101 View Post
                      But T5 will not open until 2030 right?
                      That's why I said "do something in the meantime". Apparently T3 doesn't have a lot of widebody gates, which may be an issue once MI is fully reintegrated.
                      an infrastructure geek

Comment

Well, I'm not so sure
                        Well, at least I am sure. I have the drawing in front of me.

Anyway you will see soon when they start to dig at the north apron around E20.

Comment

Does this mean that T5 will have three different MRT lines serving it? :O

Comment

Its a "we are thinking about it".

I dont see neither the Cross Island Line nor the Thomson Line getting directly connected to T5. After the MRT connection from T2 into T5 is completed, there would be no logical (and econmical) sense to connect the other lines to T 5 only.

Comment

I think they would have to solve the structural issues of the existing EWL Changi Airport station being incompatible with 5 door TEL (and potentially CRL) trains. There's also the question of the planned CRL route passing through Changi Airfreight Centre and missing the T1/2/3 area. (see http://crl-construction.blogspot.com...contracts.html)

I don't see it working without them building a separate station for TEL at T1/2/3, creating a situation like Heathrow Central where the HEx/Elizabeth Line and Tube stations are apart and built in separate eras.

Alas, I do not have $300 to buy the tender documents... this is terribly confusing since I'm getting all kinds of mixed signals.
                              Last edited by yuuka_miya; 9 May 2019, 09:52 PM.
                              an infrastructure geek

Comment

Alas, I do not have $300 to buy the tender documents... this is terribly confusing since I'm getting all kinds of mixed signals.
                                The extension of the EWL from T2 to T5 is out for tender, that's a fact.

The Cross Island Line Phase 1 Prequalification has also started. Tenders will be expected to be out in the 2nd half of 2019. The link from the CRL to T5 is currently not part of the contract CR102 works.

I agree that there are various sources suggesting that TEL as well as CRL may get connected to T5. But the actual URA masterplan draft 2019 is not showing these future connections. (Reference: https://www.ura.gov.sg/Corporate/Pla...ts/East-Region)

Comment

Working...
                                X