Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upstairs, Downstairs! First Trip on SIA's New A380 to Sydney: SQ221/232 SIN-SYD-SIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 3 Suites on each side have a subtlely different layout. I took a peek in the other Suites...this was 2F, the one directly behind 1F.

The partition between 1F and 2F goes down to form a "double bed" if the pax in these two Suites are travelling together.

The 3rd row Suite (3A pictured below), is similar to the 2nd row, although the partition does not fold down.

Last edited by yflyer; 23 February 2018, 07:42 AM.

Comment

IFM Mr Seet was in the aisle as I returned to my Suite, and we stood for a minute to chat...

"These are our new Suites!"

"I haven't even tried the old Suites!...", I replied, "...but my wife has!"

"I hope to have both you and your wife onboard the next time!...

"May I offer you a glass of champagne? Would you like the Dom Perignon?"

"Yes, please!" I nodded appreciatively...

And while all this was going on, boarding was taking place on the main deck, with passengers going by glancing up at the goings on up the staircase...

Last edited by yflyer; 12 February 2018, 08:53 AM.

Comment

A hot towel to start...the first of a seemingly endless number of hot towels each suite pax received in the course of service...

Dom Perignon 2006...

I enjoyed my first sip of bubbly...

Last edited by yflyer; 13 February 2018, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
          Foldable tray table...

What's that on the left side of the tray?

My seat on this flight was 71K. A wonderful seat, with aisle access via the space between the front 2-seater and the emex door, as well as a window.

Were you incredibly delayed?

The lounge has toilets as well as two bathrooms equipped with showers.
          MUCH better than TPR, where you have to exit to use the toilet.

A/C power and USB...

What is the card scanner for?
          HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
            What's that on the left side of the tray?
            If I recall correctly, it's a vanity mirror. Not 100% sure though as I didn't open it.

Were you incredibly delayed?
            Nope...just took the pic later in the flight...

MUCH better than TPR, where you have to exit to use the toilet.
            Never been in the TPR! Shocking!

What is the card scanner for?
            For payment I think...future feature yet to be enabled...

Comment

Continuing with the TR, a very stylish set of pyjamas were distributed, along with an amenity kit...

A decent selection of amenities from Lalique, including lip balm, moisturizer, soap and a scented candle, as well as a small gift in the form of Lalique's signature glass fish, in a light shade of blue...

I was already comfortably attired, so I did not change into the pyjamas, but did take out the bedroom slippers for use later.

The new safety video was played on the small monitor in the front wall...

...and we lined up on the main runway 16R...

...for an ultra-quiet take-off to the southeast...

...before a long, slow right turn towards Singapore, giving passengers on the right side a brief glimpse of the airport and the city before we climbed into the clouds...

There was now a rope across the top of the stairs...

A view looking towards the rear of the cabin...

Suite 1A with the sliding door shut. There is a gap at the base of the door, and small slits so that the cabin crew can look in to see if anything is needed.

From inside the Suite, once the door is closed, the impression is of utter and complete privacy.
              Last edited by yflyer; 23 February 2018, 07:58 AM.

Comment

A 7 and a 1/2 hour flight to Singapore today...

I lowered the window shades...these are motorized screens, with a light day screen and a fully dark one, both independently controlled...

Post-take-off, cabin service began with a glass of Vintage 2004 Krug...

To watch Movies or TV, you simply swivelled the chair to TV position...

...and angled the motorized screen, also using the buttons on the seat control...

...for a perfect viewing angle and position.

I unfolded the tray table...

A very large and sturdy table, usable both as a side table, and a main table for dining.

Last edited by yflyer; 11 February 2018, 08:07 PM.

Comment

The main IFE control is on a large removable tablet...

You can use the tablet to browse select programmes which will be displayed on the large wall-mounted screen...

Rather than use the tablet, I actually preferred to use the smaller handheld controller to select programs...

Both picture and sound quality were superb...

I channel surfed, while nibbling at a small dish of warm nuts...

And after the champagne, I moved on to a glass of Cos D'Estournel 2006...

A delicious red wine from the Bordeaux Appellation of St Estephe.
                  Last edited by yflyer; 11 February 2018, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Clap clap clap. Standing ovation.
                    This is Trip Report of the Year.

I can’t wait for more

I am yet to be excited with the new J seat. I think it’s hard to win me over with the new seat. I think I value width more.

The Suites look better than any other photos I had seen so far. It feels rather empty though without the bed put down. Somewhat I think Etihad Apartment is more cozy and intimate. But let’s see. I am going to try the new SQ one only in October. Looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
                      Clap clap clap. Standing ovation.
                      This is Trip Report of the Year.

I can’t wait for more

I am yet to be excited with the new J seat. I think it’s hard to win me over with the new seat. I think I value width more.

The Suites look better than any other photos I had seen so far. It feels rather empty though without the bed put down. Somewhat I think Etihad Apartment is more cozy and intimate. But let’s see. I am going to try the new SQ one only in October. Looking forward to it.
                      Thanks, SQueeze! Still in progress -- a lot more to post!

You're going to enjoy yourself in October! Would love to hear your thoughts on how this compares with Etihad!

Comment

It was time for meal service, and the Suite doors were opened to facilitate service...

I perused the thick leatherbound menu...

There are some really big names on our Culinary Panel...

Before the main menu selections, a page of recommendations from Chef Matt Moran...

The lunch menu...

Refreshments prior to landing...

Comment

Quite an impressive wine list on this flight...

The cocktail selection...

Liquor...

And other beverages...

Coffees....

...and teas...

Comment

A crisp white table cloth was laid, and the table was set for lunch...

A selection of bread...

Tableware was from Wedgwood, specially created for SQ.

Not long after that point, the Cos D'Estournel had already disappeared down my gullet, and I was now ready to sample the Henschke Keyneton Euphonium Red Wine from Barossa Valley...

Last edited by yflyer; 23 February 2018, 08:04 AM.

Comment

First up, a generous serving of caviar...

"Would you like a shot of vodka with your caviar?"

"That's a great idea!"

I am not sure why this is so, but caviar and ice-cold vodka go very well with each other...

Comment

The tray table can be swivelled away from the chair, in case you need to leave your seat at any point during the meal service...

Comment

Working...
                                X