Qantas 717 - New 2 Class Config and Interiors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qantas 717 - New 2 Class Config and Interiors

I recently flew from Hobart to Sydney on a Qantas 717.

Having read Carfield's experience on the QF 717 from Cairns to Ayers Rock in this TR, I was expecting a fairly basic config. On Carfield's flight, this was an all-Y config, in the familiar "honeycomb" grey Y seats.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that on the Hobart-Sydney service, the QF 717's used are 2-class 717's (J and Y) with new interiors and IFE.

Just a few pictures here, as a preview to a fuller TR I have planned on Tasmania.

Here is the 717 landing in Hobart airport from the previous SYD-HBA leg. This would depart as QF1508 HBA-SYD after a very short turnaround.

New J interior, laid out 2-2.

New Y interior, laid out in a comfortable 2-3 layout. I didn't whip out a measuring tape to measure pitch or width, but subjectively the seat felt more spacious than a 737, and about the same as an A320.

Seat comfort/cushioning were good as well, and recline was fine as well.

This flight also has streaming wifi onto iPad Mini's provided by Qantas in each seat pocket. This has proprietary software for the Qantas IFE software (no other apps running on the tablet) and has security features to prevent passengers leaving the plane with the iPad, which is not tethered to the seat.

The seat back has a slot which you can use to hang the iPad, which comes in a bright orange leather case with "Qantas" embossed on it.

A very good selection of movies, TV and audio were streamed onto the iPad. On this 1 hr 55 min sector, you could probably watch one full length movie at most.

Lunch (a chicken and mushroom pie) was served, as well as complimentary soft beverages / tea / coffee. Wine was A$6 a bottle (Anyone know if this charge is new? On MEL-SYD sectors previously, if I recall correctly they used to provide complimentary red/white wine and beer.)

I was seated towards the rear, and I did not find it particularly noisy, although I was just a few rows in front of the rear mounted engines.

For this short domestic sector, I thought this flight exceeded my expectations.

I was quite impressed with the 717, as well as with QF's inflight service and hard product.
    Last edited by yflyer; 19 December 2014, 05:07 PM.

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
    Wine was A$6 a bottle (Anyone know if this charge is new? On MEL-SYD sectors previously, if I recall correctly they used to provide complimentary red/white wine and beer.)
    This has always been the case for all routes. After 5pm all alcohol are FOC in Y. J is all day alcohol, well for sparkling of which I've experienced. For mainline its mondays to fridays and on QFlink services its every single day.
    I know when you airline bling, that could only mean one thing

Comment

Originally posted by LOWJHG View Post
      This has always been the case for all routes. After 5pm all alcohol are FOC in Y. J is all day alcohol, well for sparkling of which I've experienced. For mainline its mondays to fridays and on QFlink services its every single day.
      Thanks for the info, LOWJHG! I had not realized that...but then I realize that many of the MEL-SYD flights I flew on QF' 767's (Nice planes, too bad they are being phased out) were evening flights where a hot dinner was served, along with FoC wine and beer.

Comment

Working...
      X