Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To be frank,

I am just shocked at this offering.

They can market it as Regional J for up to 3 hours whatever.

But what about the price? How does it compare to regular J price? How much is it SIN-HKG return on this? That will tell whether this product is good enough or is complete rip off

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
      To be frank,

I am just shocked at this offering.

They can market it as Regional J for up to 3 hours whatever.

But what about the price? How does it compare to regular J price? How much is it SIN-HKG return on this? That will tell whether this product is good enough or is complete rip off
      The cheapest I-class round-trip SIN-HKG is about S$2k all in, roughly the same as SQ's D-class fares.

I fly this route quite often and choose based on schedule and price, rather than airline. Ex-SIN, CX's discounted fares are more easily available at peak times. SQ's seats definitely are superior, but CX's IFE beats SQ's older generation IFE on board the refurbed 772s that dominate this route. Once SQ switches over to 330s on this route, there will be no competition.
      Last edited by 259850; 1 December 2014, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
        My most recent premium cabin experience on CX was their longhaul 77W J product, with the wonderful Cirrus lie-flat J seats. And yet, when I entered the front cabin of the A330, it looked nothing like that. Just several rows of dark green/turquoise seats arranged 2-2-2. Is this the J cabin? It looked more like premium Y to my eyes.

Same impression when I saw the new regional J on my BKK-HKG flight last October. It is a PE.

They should come up with better product even for regional J.

Not really sure what CX is thinking
        visit my blog

Comment

Originally posted by jammed View Post
          thanks for this yflyer. i'm actually contemplating this exact CX J from SIN-HKG, and then onward on PE to US. Now that you have detailed this, I'm thinking a bit harder.
          Glad the info was useful! I have not tried the new CX PE yet. At least from the pics, it doesn't look too bad! For such a long flight to the US, it should be better than regular Y...

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
            I would hardly call it a J product... More like a decent PY one.

To be fair SQ's definition of "regional" does stretch the envelope quite a bit. When it was introduced along with the A330s they were intended for Australian and Japanese routes which are quite a bit longer than CX's definition of "regional". For flights of similar length CX would send their long-haul planes with the fabulous reverse-herringbone seats.
            Yes, I agree it is all about what sectors the product is used on.

I think a 2 or even 3 hour flight for the CX regional J product would be acceptable (Think of what our Europe-based friends put up with for that "Y masquerading as J" product called Intra-Europe Business Class).

SQ's Regional J is good enough for even SIN-SYD, so it is a real treat to use it on shorter routes as well.

Comment

Thanks yflyer - an excellent report as always.

I've been flying CX quite a bit lately and thought I would add a couple of thoughts.

1. It's worth doing some digging into the various flights which serve Singapore. Apart from the 333s which carry the regional J product, there is at least one flight a day which is operated by the 33G, which carries the long-haul J product. The CX booking engine does give you a chance to select your seats before you pay so it's worth using it! Also, the 343s and the 77Ws do make appearances on the HKG-SIN-HKG route now and then.

2. CX long-haul business is available at extremely competitive prices from certain countries in the region. I recently flew to New York with CX J for a total of S$3,500, so worth exploring if you are flying further on from Asia and don't mind repositioning to catch a flight!

3. CX does quietly recognize its MPCG and above passengers by offering them their choice of meals first, before they go around the cabin with the food trolley. I think this is a nice touch.

4. I really do think that StudioCX is an excellent IFE system. Intuitive and responsive, with a pretty wide range of entertainment options. I do wish though that they'd not stinge on the quality of the headphones.

5. CX loads different champagne choices for different sectors. On a recent journey, I've had Henriot Blanc de Blancs, Cuvee William Deutz 2000, and Deutz Brut Classic. I really liked the Henriot.

Comment

Originally posted by kelvgoh View Post

I've been flying CX quite a bit lately and thought I would add a couple of thoughts.

1. It's worth doing some digging into the various flights which serve Singapore. Apart from the 333s which carry the regional J product, there is at least one flight a day which is operated by the 33G, which carries the long-haul J product. The CX booking engine does give you a chance to select your seats before you pay so it's worth using it! Also, the 343s and the 77Ws do make appearances on the HKG-SIN-HKG route now and then.
                SIN definitely gets the 33Gs, but HKG-SIN is one of the more risky routes when it comes to equipment swaps. Not necessarily last minute swaps, but scheduled swaps which do happen. In September I booked an award ticket for SIN-HKG in December and specifically chose the flights with PY (to get a long-haul config plane). They changed the aircraft from 33G to 343 to 773 to 330, and I won't even be surprised if they change it again.

Comment

[...snip..]

5. CX loads different champagne choices for different sectors. On a recent journey, I've had Henriot Blanc de Blancs, Cuvee William Deutz 2000, and Deutz Brut Classic. I really liked the Henriot.
                  Thanks kelvgoh! Very useful info...I don't fly CX all that often, but will keep these tips in mind. I didn't realize they flew so many different configs into SG.

I agree the StudioCX system is excellent!

I am not much of a champagne connoisseur but will keep a lookout for these different champagne houses if I do find myself on CX...

Comment

2. CX long-haul business is available at extremely competitive prices from certain countries in the region. I recently flew to New York with CX J for a total of S$3,500, so worth exploring if you are flying further on from Asia and don't mind repositioning to catch a flight!

3. CX does quietly recognize its MPCG and above passengers by offering them their choice of meals first, before they go around the cabin with the food trolley. I think this is a nice touch.

4. I really do think that StudioCX is an excellent IFE system. Intuitive and responsive, with a pretty wide range of entertainment options. I do wish though that they'd not stinge on the quality of the headphones.

Great summary here, and I agree with most of it.

However, I have a question: what is the longest route that one can expect this regional J? I flew HKG-BOM (about 5.5 hours) and the return flight last month and both were operated by a 33G.

Comment

Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
                      Great summary here, and I agree with most of it.

However, I have a question: what is the longest route that one can expect this regional J? I flew HKG-BOM (about 5.5 hours) and the return flight last month and both were operated by a 33G.
                      Longest should be CGK and CTS clocking 4:45 thereabouts. If you consider KA, then the record holder would be BLR at 5:30

Comment

Originally posted by SINFJ View Post
                        Longest should be CGK and CTS clocking 4:45 thereabouts. If you consider KA, then the record holder would be BLR at 5:30
                        Seems reasonable as these longest flights are still considered short-mid hauls. Silkair operates its J recliners on flights of more than 5hrs!
                        My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
                          Seems reasonable as these longest flights are still considered short-mid hauls. Silkair operates its J recliners on flights of more than 5hrs!
                          Same as Malaysia Airlines. J Seats are similar to SilkAir, and majority of the planes are B738.

Comment

Working...
                          X