Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steak, Bed and Breakfast on SQ16 ICN-SFO (Seat 11K)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steak, Bed and Breakfast on SQ16 ICN-SFO (Seat 11K)

I fly economy class on Singapore Airlines very often. SQ are a joy to fly in Y.

SQ has a superb Y product. From that starting assumption, you can optimize the Y experience further, for example, by choosing flights operated by newer aircraft types (Better IFE on A330/A380/77W than refitted 777), and flying middle of the week (Planes less full on Wed) or picking the right seat in the Y cabin. Emex or bulkhead? Upper deck or lower? Some seats recline less than others, some older planes have seats with bulky IFE boxes underneath. Front of plane gives you pole position for the race to immigration, but the rear of the plane is where the empty seats are…

And for the real connoisseurs of the art of flying Y, there is the “bunched bus" effect: In the same way in Singapore along Orchard Road where sometimes a full SBS Transit bus number 36 comes along packed to the gills, and just behind it there is an empty 36, there are some quirks in flight schedules where two SQ flights to the same destination are scheduled very close to each other, resulting in the later flight usually being far emptier than the earlier one. The old SIN-PEK schedule (No longer valid with the introduction of the A380 flights to Beijing) comes to mind, where SQ806 had a 4.55pm departure, followed by SQ810 at 6.10pm.

But enough talk about Y. Sometimes you just want something more: space to sleep, or work, or both. Or just a way to destress, and treat yourself to something even better.

That was exactly how I felt last month, as I was about to embark on a trip to San Francisco. I was booked on SQ16: Six hours from Singapore to Incheon, an hour or so in transit, then a long ten+ hour flight to San Francisco, for a total duration of more than 18 hours.

I’ve done SQ16 in Y on many occasions. This time I thought I would do it in Business.

I’ve had fairly good luck with Krisflyer business saver award redemptions and business saver upgrades over the years. However, business savers are not easy to come by for SIN-SFO. My schedules are rarely set far enough in advance for me to snag these seats early.

A quick check online revealed that no saver upgrades were available from SIN-SFO, however, a couple of test bookings showed that business saver flight awards were available for ICN-SFO (but not SIN-ICN). On many occasions business saver award availability usually translates to saver upgrade availability. Some on this forum say that saver awards and saver upgrades come from different buckets of inventory, but there seems to be some correlation between availability of these. Anyone know if they are from the same inventory?

I called SQ’s Krisflyer call centre to ask if I could redeem a saver upgrade just for ICN-SFO? Not possible, as my ticket had this as a single sector SIN-SFO.

Hmmm…time to get a little creative. I called my travel agent.

“You know my trip to San Francisco, it is currently ticketed SIN-SFO as a single sector. Is there any fare difference if you change my reservation to SIN-ICN and ICN-SFO as two separate sectors?” I asked.

“There is no fare difference if there is no stopover. “ she answered.

“Great…please do that, and thanks for your help!”

My ticket was reissued as SIN-ICN and ICN-SFO, both on SQ16.

I went online to the Krisflyer website. Bingo! Saver upgrade availability to business was available on ICN-SFO. I selected that option online and clicked through to the next step.

That’s when SQ’s Useless New Website™ threw me out of my upgrade page and back to the start screen, with no memory of my recent interaction online. What? Is this the online equivalent of dementia or Alzheimer’s? That website had been fairly stable for a while, then recently began acting up again.

Will SQ ever deliver an online experience that matches their inflight experience?

Until then, I will keep the Krisflyer member hotline phone number handy. A call to the hotline, and my business saver upgrade was done over the phone in minutes by a very polite and helpful agent.

And to add icing to the cake, I went online to select my seat and snagged 11K, first row of Business Class in the front business mini-cabin of the 77W. A very desirable J seat indeed!

Point-wise, the Krisflyer award chart has a few idiosyncracies: a business saver upgrade redemption SIN-SFO is 65,000 points, but ICN-SFO is 60,000 points. An upgrade for the full SIN-SFO sector would have been far better value. In fact, a saver upgrade on HKG-SFO (On SQ2) is 55,000 points: 5K fewer points for a flight a couple of hours longer than SQ16 on the US-bound leg. Go figure! But a saver upgrade is still better value than a standard upgrade requiring 2X the points.

So I would fly the SIN-ICN leg in Y, then continue ICN-SFO in J on the same flight. The SIN-ICN leg is a daytime flight – perfectly comfortable in the back of the bus. The ten hour 50 minute ICN-SFO sector would be where SQ J would really shine: A spacious seat, full dinner service, and a flat bed for the rest of the overnight flight. I was excited!

Would this live up to expectations? Read on to find out!
    Last edited by yflyer; 10 October 2014, 05:18 PM.

It was a very busy morning at T3 when I arrived at Changi Airport for my flight.

Aircraft were taking off to the south today. Here is an SQ A330 retracting its landing gear after taking off from Runway 20C.

Perhaps it was because I was departing just after the Formula One Grand Prix, or maybe it was the morning peak hour rush, but all check-in areas were very busy.

The Y (and Gold) check-in sections were also chock-a-block. That said, the peak crowd was handled fairly rapidly, and barely 20-30 minutes later, the queues were mostly gone.

I checked in at the J counters, and received both my Y boarding pass (SIN-ICN) and J boarding pass (ICN-SFO) at the same time, then proceeded airside...

My flight today would be operated by 9V-SWB, a seven year old 777-300ER delivered in November 2006.

Last edited by yflyer; 5 July 2020, 05:31 PM.

Comment

The SIN-ICN hop in Y was a comfortable one. My seat was in the rear of the aircraft.

This was a fairly full flight, as the Asian Games were in progress, and there were many athletes, including a large Singapore contingent, resplendent in the red jackets and National colours, onboard.

Thankfully, the seat next to mine remained empty -- one of the occasional benefits of a seat in the back of the cabin.

Last edited by yflyer; 5 July 2020, 05:32 PM.

Comment

There were 3 lunch choices today: A western style chicken selection, A Korean beef bulgogi, and an Indian vegetarian selection.

I opted for the beef bulgogi, and was not disappointed.

This was a very tasty dish, with a generous portion of beef bulgogi.

Note that you have to ask for the tube of Korean-style sweet chilli sauce. They have a large quantity of tubes of this sauce on the carts, but on this occasion they were not offered automatically. I had to ask for a tube.

Dessert was a Magnum chocolate-coated ice cream bar.

Comment

We landed at Incheon after a smooth flight. Prior to landing, the SQ cabin crew in my section of the cabin went around wishing each of our Singapore athletes good luck, at the same time handing out small carrier bags of snacks/cabin amenities for each of them. I thought this was a very thoughtful gesture on the part of the cabin crew.

After a short transit stop, with just enough time to clear security and pay the SilverKris Lounge a short visit, it was time to reboard SQ16 for the ICN-SFO flight.

Comment

For the ICN-SFO flight, I would be seated at the opposite end of the plane, in 11K -- the first row of the J cabin.

Now I love SQ Y, but seat 11K, one of 2 rows of seats in the front J mini cabin, took the SQ experience to a whole new level!

Comment

Actually there are no bad seats in the SQ 77W J cabin -- All the seats are good seats. The layout is 1-2-1, which gives all seats direct aisle access. The A and K seats have the added bonus of both windows and aisle access.

The difference between row 11 (and row 14, first row of the 2nd, larger J cabin), as the many frequent J travellers on this forum will tell you, is that while regular seats have a large console in front of the seat, with a notch for your legs to stretch out into when the seat is folded into bed mode, this notch is absent in the front row, which gives you additional space to stretch out.

Here is a picture of the regular J seat.

Row 11 (and 14) gives you a lot more room in front...

Last edited by yflyer; 5 July 2020, 05:33 PM.

Comment

I was warmly welcomed onboard and offered a pre-take off glass of champagne.

Hot towels were distributed...

SQ doesn't offer amenity kits in J, however eyeshades and sockettes were handed out...

Comment

Some pre-take off plane spotting as we taxi'ed for departure...

A Korean Airlines A330...

And A380...

Take-off at dusk...

Comment

Onboard, things quickly settled down...

Here is my seat in fully reclined position (which is different from "bed" position, a fully flat bed which is set up by folding the back of the seat down).

Seat controls under the armrest...

Mirror, A/C power and other connectors are hidden behind compartments on the front console of the seat.

IFE was full AVOD, with a fantastic selection of movies, TV and music. Noise cancelling headphones were provided.

Here is a picture of the 2nd J cabin. Bear in mind, this is a picture of an occupied cabin. The spacious layout gives everyone a good measure of privacy, something you don't get with J seating plans on other carriers.

Last edited by yflyer; 5 July 2020, 05:34 PM.

Comment

I browsed the menu...

Quite a number of creations from the international Culinary Panel were offered on this flight...

I could not resist browsing through the lunch selections on the previous SIN-ICN sector. Looks like I missed quite a nice lunch on the earlier leg...the Alaskan King Crab starter looked particularly intriguing...

But the dinner selection looked great as well...

I licked my lips in anticipation...

Comment

I began with a dry martini...

This was expertly mixed. I especially enjoyed the 3 olives...

The satay did not disappoint either, 3 delicious skewers of tender, meaty satay accompanied by a thick peanut sauce...

My table was set and I opted for a glass of Cambria Chardonnay, from the Santa Maria Valley in California, to accompany my starter...

My starter was a nicoise salad with smoked salmon...

This was beautifully presented, and very tasty, with a thick fillet of smoked salmon rather than thin slices...

A choice of bread was offered...I opted for comfort food: garlic bread...

Comment

I switched to a red wine to accompany my main course...

A Bordeaux and an Italian wine from Tuscany were on offer...I picked the 2009 Marchesi di Frescobaldi Tenuta di Castiglioni...
                          Last edited by yflyer; 5 July 2020, 05:35 PM.

Comment

For my main course, I chose Culinary Panel member Matthew Moran's creation:

Grilled beef fillet with mushroom gratin, red wine sauce, asparagus and fondant potatoes.

I've not eaten at Matthew Moran's Aria Restaurant in Sydney, but based on this dish, I would definitely give his restaurant a try.

I've had both hits and misses for steak on aircraft. A pre-cooked and reheated steak is so prone to mishap that more often than not, the end result is an bland, overcooked, slab of meat. But not today.

My steak was soft, tender, flavourful, and pink on the inside. Perfection!

The accompanying sauce, asparagus, red chili pepper and potatoes complemented the dish beautifully.

Full marks to the SQ catering team and Chef Moran. This was steak on a plane done right. One of the best I have had.

Comment

For dessert, I had the vanilla ice cream and berry compote.

Here is a picture of one of the other desserts on offer: Chocolate Raspberry Cake.

Incredibly I still had room for the cheese course...

And a few pralines...

And that was it for dinner.

If you were still peckish during the night, you could choose something from the light bites menu...

Comment

Working...
                              X