Aussie Trip Part 4: Qantas' Refreshed Domestic J class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aussie Trip Part 4: Qantas' Refreshed Domestic J class

Aussie Trip Report Part 4– Refreshed Business Class on Qantas Mainline Fleet & Farewell to 767

Given what has happened to my hometown, Hong Kong, I have been distracted for the past few days, but this trip report still needs to be completed. Instead of writing too much about it, I am just going to quick wrap it up!

I used my American Airlines for this ticket, and yes I purposefully routed myself through Melbourne, as I wanted to experience the Qantas’ 767 one more time before its retirement in December. However, I think I really like the new domestic business class seats on the 737s, as the seat pitch is comfortable. Compared to Virgin Australia’s business class on its 737s, Qantas’s 737s are definitely more comfortable and the service is actually more polished too. However the new domestic business class seats on 767s are quite disappointing especially the tight seat pitch. It is almost as bad as Delta’s domestic first class B767-300s.

September 23, 2014; Tuesday
    QF 797 ASP (Alice Springs) to MEL Lv1155 Arr1500 Boeing 737-800 Winglet VH-XZE “Pine Creek”

Alice Springs is basically a Qantas only airport, and mid morning is definitely a peak time, as there are flights to Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Darwin, and Ayers Rock all departing between 11am and 1pm.

Alice Springs Airport Qantas Check-in counter

Flight information

Change of gates

Gate 7/8/9 – Main boarding area

Qantas Club at Alice Springs – sorry only one picture, as it was very crowded. There was a cold cut and sandwich bar, which is fairly typical at all Qantas lounges.

Gate 9 – Melbourne

Our flight to Melbourne was delayed due to the late arrival of the inbound flight. The pilot later explained that they had a last minute swap of the 737s, due to mechanical reason. Since I had more than two hours transit time, I was fine, but the check-in agent told me that Qantas would provide each passenger a $15AUD voucher at the only café in the airport. I was really not expecting a voucher for a sixty-five minutes delay and in the end I just grabbed some bottled waters. Boarding finally began at 12:51pm, and it was very crowded, as the other flights also began to board.

Busy Apron filled with Qantas 737s

VH-NXL – just arrived from Cairns and heading to Ayers Rock next

VH-XZE “Pine Creek” to Melbourne

Impressive refreshed Qantas business class cabin – there were two other passengers in business class but I managed to snap some pictures before they boarded!

I was offered a choice of Lemon Squash/Drink or water on both flights, shortly after being seated

Beverage tray and armrest

Seat recline and Legrest button

Power outlet at the armrest

Door was closed at 1:09pm and we taxied to R/W30 at 1:15pm.
    Alice Springs was a place, where planes were stored. I spotted a few Tiger A320s and Qantas’ Boeing 767s.

Comment

We took off at 1:18pm and flying time was two hours and two minutes with a cruising attitude of 37,000feet.

In-flight service included a pre-meal beverage with packaged roasted cashews and pretzels

There was an one-tray lunch service afterward, and today’s choice include a Pan-fried salmon with caper butter and mashed cauliflower puree or Chinese style braised pork with sweet chili sauce, steamed rice, and vegetables, along with a Foccacia roll and sliced bread, as well as a slice of pecan pie. The Pork was not very good, but it was okay for a two hours flight. Both Paul, the F/A in charge of J cabin, and Alyssa, the cabin manager, were very friendly and checked on the passengers throughout the flight. Nothing was too much to ask. When I later asked for a mint tea, I was automatically offered some Macadamia nut cookie. I was impressed with the service.

Silver cup to hold used tea bag

Seat in full recline position

Comment

Legroom shot

NG interior

Entertainment – Personal Television

Descent began at 2:57pm and it was a beautiful day at Melbourne.

We landed on R/W27 at 3:50pm and then parked at Gate 7 five minutes later. Surprisingly this flight was continuing to Sydney.

QF 448 MEL-SYD Lv1645 Arr1810 Boeing 767-300ER VH-OGI “City of Port Augusta”
        Due to the delay, I did not bother to go to the Qantas Club. The windows in front of gate 12 provided a nice view of these two 767s heading to Sydney within the next hour.

VH-OGI was parked at a strong position, so that was my only close up of the 767.

VH-OGL – 5pm shuttle to Sydney

Comment

Boarding began at 4:23pm, and business class passengers were welcomed first. I had a chance to take a few cabin pictures.

Business Class

Economy Class

Comment

Recline button

Beverage tray

Q Streaming available on this flight – iPad at each seat – there are a huge selection of televisions and movies

Pre-takeoff glass of water

The flight was busy, but not full. Push back began at 4:45pm and the plane took off from R/W34 at 4:54pm.
            Flying time was an hour and five minutes with a cruising attitude of 39,000feet.

iPad holder

There was a refreshment service, which was a choice of Dill Soup – vegetable soup and Tuna Nicoise Salad, accompanied with sliced sourdough bread and Pecan Pie

Comment

Seat in Recline position

Sunset over Sydney

Descent began at 5:28pm and we landed on R/W34L at 5:59pm, and parked at Gate 6 six minutes later.
              My priority tagged bag came out at 6:18pm. I was impressed with the baggage deliverance time.

Just a short conclusion, Qantas is actually quite a nice airline, and I am lucky enough to fly on two refreshed planes. Boeing 767 Business class cabin is perhaps a bit disappointing but since they are used on primarily short flights, it is okay. Boeing 737 business class cabin is actually quite impressive.

Comment

Working...
              X