No announcement yet.

The SQ 787-10s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does SQ choose whether to use a B787-10 or an Airbus A350 Regional on certain routes?

Comment

• Originally posted by ekimnat View Post
      How does SQ choose whether to use a B787-10 or an Airbus A350 Regional on certain routes?
      Pre-COVID: 787-10 provides higher total pax capacity / lower premium config vs A359R, which suits some markets / timings.

COVID times: Not much between them (since pax load rarely full anyway), except 787-10 has 11% more cargo capacity, which for a similar operating cost may be very useful on cargo-heavy routes.

Other considerations include ground engineering support (e.g. I believe SIA has no support for 787 in ADL). This can be costly to set up and is not necessary everywhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by MainlyMiles View Post
        Pre-COVID: 787-10 provides higher total pax capacity / lower premium config vs A359R, which suits some markets / timings.

COVID times: Not much between them (since pax load rarely full anyway), except 787-10 has 11% more cargo capacity, which for a similar operating cost may be very useful on cargo-heavy routes.

Other considerations include ground engineering support (e.g. I believe SIA has no support for 787 in ADL). This can be costly to set up and is not necessary everywhere.
        B787-10 can carry an extra of 4 LD3s or 2 pallets more than A350.

As for engineering support, SIA would carry an engineer onboard for certification outstation when there is no engineering support available.

Comment

• Okay since Boeing has resumed Boeing 787-10 deliveries, are there any updates as to when SQ will receive more Boeing 787-10 aircraft? I can’t remember how long it has been since the last delivery of the frame to SQ.

Comment

• Anyone have any updates on the 787 deliveries to SQ? Many customers did receive their long delayed 787's.

Comment

• I flew SQ's 787-10 to MAA (SQ528/529) last month and I can tell you from a regional standpoint it's such a beautiful aircraft that SQ has inducted into regional service. The plane itself is so sleek from the outside & inside and really loved that there were the dimmable shades. (My mom & I got SCA on 528, and SCJ on 529, my dad was on SCO on 526 and SCI on 529 (in Sep he got SCC and SCD)). The mood lighting was purple, really just reminded me of SQ's newer 77W (SWU-SNC) especially while boarding the aircraft, which made it beautiful. The overhead bins are just like what I have seen on the Boeing 737's in recent times (i.e. Delta, United to name a few), but so sleek and cool. The Wifi was Panasonic, just like what you get on the long haul A350's and the newer 77W (SWU-SNC) plus unlike what folks said about the newer A350's, they also have the Voyager 3D maps, which was cool to see even for an India route. Chennai is very lucky & blessed to have such beautiful aircraft being served 2 times a day (well, it's an evening flight), with the other Indian city being Delhi's redeye & day flight (402/401). I found it quieter than the 77W's for sure and not too noisy at all. Smooth take off and landing.

One disadvantage of the dimmable window shades is that for a fully nighttime flight (3-4 hours), I found that it doesn't really work to dim the windows that well and at some points with the way I adjusted it, the window went completely pitch dark and when putting it back to the normal setting it went back to normal. It's not a good idea to use it when it's dark. I hope to fly a Dreamliner actually in the daytime and see how it really works for itself (not just SQ but any airline).

Also, many airlines have Boeing 787-10's, and BA's version of the -10 has the RR Trent 1000 engines but BA's flies long haul (probably 9-10 hours). Most other airline's 78X (i.e. UA) are powered by GE engines.

Wouldn't SQ's 787-10 also have the range of doing a long haul flight? Now I know they only configured it regionally, but just curious if it was possible?

Also, anyone else have word on the SQ 78X deliveries? I think some of them like SCP, SCQ, SCR appear on FR24 but they are still in Charleston's Boeing plant for the last 2 years and customers are progressively getting their 787's.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                Also, many airlines have Boeing 787-10's, and BA's version of the -10 has the RR Trent 1000 engines but BA's flies long haul (probably 9-10 hours). Most other airline's 78X (i.e. UA) are powered by GE engines.

Wouldn't SQ's 787-10 also have the range of doing a long haul flight? Now I know they only configured it regionally, but just curious if it was possible?
                Yes it is possible to have the maximum range of around 11,900km (SIN-LHR) with the Boeing 787-10, but only with the maximum takeoff weight of 254t.

BA's Boeing 787-10s (256 pax) are rated at 250.8t, for example, while United (318 pax) went for the full 254t option. Less pax also = more range.

SIA's Boeing 787-10s were chosen as a higher density (337 pax) regional aircraft and only have an MTOW of 242.7t, giving them a range of only around 9-10 hours with a full load. So with the current MTOW they could probably reach New Zealand, but not a lot further. Additionally, they are not equipped with a crew rest area needed for longer flights (including routes like AKL, CHC and IST).

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                Also, anyone else have word on the SQ 78X deliveries? I think some of them like SCP, SCQ, SCR appear on FR24 but they are still in Charleston's Boeing plant for the last 2 years and customers are progressively getting their 787's.
                9V-SCP and 9V-SCQ are due for delivery by the end of March 2023 according to SIA, with -SCP due to enter service by 31st March and -SCQ entering service in the following quarter. This was based on a November 2022 fleet update, so may have slipped further since then.

Comment

9V-SCP and 9V-SCQ are due for delivery by the end of March 2023 according to SIA, with -SCP due to enter service by 31st March and -SCQ entering service in the following quarter. This was based on a November 2022 fleet update, so may have slipped further since then.
                  I wonder if they are going to be delivered out of sequence as SCR was flown out of storage for supposed rework a week back, whereas SCP and SCQ are still in storage.

Comment

• Originally posted by a340-313x View Post

I wonder if they are going to be delivered out of sequence as SCR was flown out of storage for supposed rework a week back, whereas SCP and SCQ are still in storage.
                    Yes you're right that could definitely be the case, I'm only going on the assumption that delivery would be in registration order. I recall some of the recent MAX deliveries weren't in sequence either!

Comment

Yes it is possible to have the maximum range of around 11,900km (SIN-LHR) with the Boeing 787-10, but only with the maximum takeoff weight of 254t.

BA's Boeing 787-10s (256 pax) are rated at 250.8t, for example, while United (318 pax) went for the full 254t option. Less pax also = more range.

SIA's Boeing 787-10s were chosen as a higher density (337 pax) regional aircraft and only have an MTOW of 242.7t, giving them a range of only around 9-10 hours with a full load. So with the current MTOW they could probably reach New Zealand, but not a lot further. Additionally, they are not equipped with a crew rest area needed for longer flights (including routes like AKL, CHC and IST).

Thanks for the information on that. I had seen some of these planes have been in Charleston for the last 2 years and I know it's due to the pause in deliveries. In terms of range, that sounds like a long shot, it certainly can't (obviously) do SIN-US (SFO, YVR, SEA) nonstop for sure as that's way above the range limit, but it could do a fifth freedom route. Whereas the UA 789's have the range to do SIN-SFO or even SIN-LAX nonstop.

Comment

• Boeing have suspended the delivery of 787 once again.

Comment

• 9V-SCS was to be the next 787 due for delivery in end March 2023 but this has slipped indefinitely with the latest suspension of 787 deliveries by Boeing.

Boeing temporarily halts deliveries of 787 Dreamliner jets - FAA | Reuters

Comment

• Originally posted by Not You View Post
                            9V-SCS was to be the next 787 due for delivery in end March 2023 but this has slipped indefinitely with the latest suspension of 787 deliveries by Boeing.

Boeing temporarily halts deliveries of 787 Dreamliner jets - FAA | Reuters
                            It's sad to believe this has happened again with Boeing. Their upcoming deliveries have been sitting in CHS for 2 years now and soon could be 3 years.

Hopefully Boeing will resolve these issues soon and hopefully no further delays to the Boeing 777X on top of that.

Comment

• Boeing is resuming Boeing 787 deliveries as soon as this coming week as they resolved the issues and the FAA has given the go-ahead as they have resolved the issues.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/10/boei...eliveries.html

Hopefully SQ's upcoming Boeing 787-10's are on track to be delivered at some point this year - Some of them have been doing movements according to FR24 at CHS.

Comment

• I see that SIN-CMB-SIN turnaround is switching to 787 from A350... late Apr timeframe

Comment

Working...
                                X