This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ell3 View Post
    That’s weird. Based on the guy’s video, that’s the old “refurbed Y”. But strangely at least two cabin crew I spoke with on seperate occasions have confirmed that RO has the 2006Y. Anyhow, I’ll be on 3x 772Rs in the next two weeks...if I get SRO I can confirm it’s status for you guys.
    Ok I’m on 9V-SRO now and I can confirm it’s still in the old refurbed Y.

Comment

• Originally posted by ell3 View Post
      Ok I’m on 9V-SRO now and I can confirm it’s still in the old refurbed Y.
      There's nothing quite like empirical experience!

Comment

• According to ExpertFlyer, the last MEL route, that's currently operated by a 3-class 77W (SQ237/238) will be a daily B77WR from March 25th, the start of the Northern Summer Schedule. Interestingly, although we have had a couple of instances where it has gotten a 77WR, I wonder if the sequence will be: SQ237/228 and SQ227/238, they are both going to be operated by the 77WR after all.

Additionally, so far, NRT (638/637) the same day will retain the 3-class 77W and HND (634/635) will also have a 3-class 77W, which will remain the only two so far with 3-class 77Ws.

Comment

• Premium Economy Refit

As per “Mr Mak Swee Wah, SIA's executive vice-president (commercial) […] five more B-700ERs will be retrofitted with the new class of seats before the end of next year.” (Strait Times, Dec. 13 2017)

Although the Strait Times didn’t get the aircraft type quite right, my guess is that based on the latest fleet list below are the five aircrafts for refit.

Boeing 777-300

In Service: 5
          Seating 1: 8F/50J/226Y (2006 F, Regional J, Refurbed Y)

- 9V-SYF
          - 9V-SYJ
          - 9V-SYL

Seating 2: 8F/50J/226Y (2006 F, Regional J, 2006 Y)

- 9V-SYH
          - 9V-SYI

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-SKU View Post
            As per “Mr Mak Swee Wah, SIA's executive vice-president (commercial) […] five more B-700ERs will be retrofitted with the new class of seats before the end of next year.” (Strait Times, Dec. 13 2017)

Although the Strait Times didn’t get the aircraft type quite right, my guess is that based on the latest fleet list below are the five aircrafts for refit.

Boeing 777-300

In Service: 5
            Seating 1: 8F/50J/226Y (2006 F, Regional J, Refurbed Y)

- 9V-SYF
            - 9V-SYJ
            - 9V-SYL

Seating 2: 8F/50J/226Y (2006 F, Regional J, 2006 Y)

- 9V-SYH
            - 9V-SYI
            If he really was referring to B777-300ERs, then there are only 4 remaining, as per FSJZ's list. Its highly likely it will be those 4, because the 777-300s are over a decade old and we've never heard any news that they're slated for new seats, whereas SQ had already announced that all their B777-300ERs will be refitted.

Comment

• That article is linked in another thread and is complete rubbish. It could only be referring to the 77Ws as PEY is not being fitted in any old 772s or 773s.

I'd suggest it was old information hastily thrown into the article, as the remaining count is now 4 and there's not the slightest chance of still meeting the end of 2017 deadline.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                I wonder if the sequence will be: SQ237/228 and SQ227/238, they are both going to be operated by the 77WR after all.
                Most likely not as MEL doesn't have gates to accommodate two SQ 77Ws at the same time (during the period when SQ237/8 arrives/departs anyway). So it should still be a turn for 237, unless they changed schedule around.

Michael

Comment

• Originally posted by eamond View Post
                  Most likely not as MEL doesn't have gates to accommodate two SQ 77Ws at the same time (during the period when SQ237/8 arrives/departs anyway). So it should still be a turn for 237, unless they changed schedule around.

Michael
                  I understand. Often times I've heard that when 237 gets extremely delayed (rare but heard of it), they use the frame from 227 to do 238 and then the frame from 237 to do 228.

LHR is another good example, because sometimes 308/321 get a 77W and if both are a 77WR such as a case a few Fridays ago, 308 will turn as 319 and 318 will go as 321

Comment

• Am booked on SQ 228 on 12 Feb and its confirmed its a 4 class 777WR

Comment

• I'm growing really frustrated with the uniformed "pondering" going on here which then leads entire threads off on tangents.

For a very short-lived period, SQ238 was operated by incoming SQ227. It was around 2011 when SQ struggled with the effects of an A380 sitting on a tarmac in MEL for 10 hours each day. There still weren't that many of them back then and this daily sacrifice was expensive in terms of fleet deployment. The A380 was brought back to SIN earlier for a while as SQ238, before we lost it, only to regain it when A380s were more plentiful. A 773 proved incapable by itself of handling the afternoon SQ228 departure and this was before the advent of SQ208, so MEL became primary destination for old, aging 747s that had the extra capacity required and were plentiful in number. Similarly, SQ238 never warranted an A380. Late afternoon is the peak demand for departures headed to SE Asian hubs for geographic reasons of the "Kangaroo Route".

Note above, that this brief period of time, the only time in at least over a decade that SQ227 didn't return as SQ228, was when the most different craft were assigned to each flight- an A380 and a regional 773.

The reason why there is absolutely no chance that when the two flights get identical craft they will switch sequence is a combination of money and logic.

Fact 1: Parking a plane at a gate isn't free, much like parking your car in a busy city. It stops other planes from using the gate and therefore a busy airport's capacity is reduced. Moving the plane to a remote stand also costs, but is worth it for a length of time like 10 hours.

Fact 2: Switching the two identical craft won't be of any advantage. Two 77WRs leave SIN at two different times. They return at two different times. The amount of time the two planes spend away from SIN is identical once added together: 24 + 16.25 = 40.25, as would 18.75 + 21.5 = 40.25.

None of the above is "wondering" or incessant "hoping" for impractical, illogical things to occur. If anyone else wants to know more about SQ228, SQ228 can gladly answer questions about SQ228.

Comment

• Update on 77WR completion:

My flight on SQ237 in July has been changed from the old 77W configuration to the 77WR. It would be fair to assume SQ237/8 could be the last flight pair to utilise the old configuration. The 77W refurb project will finally end in the first half of 2018 with all 77Ws having an identical layout.

As soon as SWG is complete which can't be too far off, either HND or NRT will likely upgrade- perhaps HND since they ran NRT as an old 773 for a few days this week.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                          I'm growing really frustrated with the uniformed "pondering" going on here which then leads entire threads off on tangents.

For a very short-lived period, SQ238 was operated by incoming SQ227. It was around 2011 when SQ struggled with the effects of an A380 sitting on a tarmac in MEL for 10 hours each day. There still weren't that many of them back then and this daily sacrifice was expensive in terms of fleet deployment. The A380 was brought back to SIN earlier for a while as SQ238, before we lost it, only to regain it when A380s were more plentiful. A 773 proved incapable by itself of handling the afternoon SQ228 departure and this was before the advent of SQ208, so MEL became primary destination for old, aging 747s that had the extra capacity required and were plentiful in number. Similarly, SQ238 never warranted an A380. Late afternoon is the peak demand for departures headed to SE Asian hubs for geographic reasons of the "Kangaroo Route".

Note above, that this brief period of time, the only time in at least over a decade that SQ227 didn't return as SQ228, was when the most different craft were assigned to each flight- an A380 and a regional 773.

The reason why there is absolutely no chance that when the two flights get identical craft they will switch sequence is a combination of money and logic.

Fact 1: Parking a plane at a gate isn't free, much like parking your car in a busy city. It stops other planes from using the gate and therefore a busy airport's capacity is reduced. Moving the plane to a remote stand also costs, but is worth it for a length of time like 10 hours.

Fact 2: Switching the two identical craft won't be of any advantage. Two 77WRs leave SIN at two different times. They return at two different times. The amount of time the two planes spend away from SIN is identical once added together: 24 + 16.25 = 40.25, as would 18.75 + 21.5 = 40.25.

None of the above is "wondering" or incessant "hoping" for impractical, illogical things to occur. If anyone else wants to know more about SQ228, SQ228 can gladly answer questions about SQ228.
                          That made perfect sense to me. Thanks SQ228

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                          Update on 77WR completion:

My flight on SQ237 in July has been changed from the old 77W configuration to the 77WR. It would be fair to assume SQ237/8 could be the last flight pair to utilise the old configuration. The 77W refurb project will finally end in the first half of 2018 with all 77Ws having an identical layout.

As soon as SWG is complete which can't be too far off, either HND or NRT will likely upgrade- perhaps HND since they ran NRT as an old 773 for a few days this week.
                          Yeah my post above indicates at the start of the northern Summer schedule, SQ237/238 will be a 77WR (late March). I dunno about NRT, keeps getting an A380 then 77W, I'm thinking if once some more new A380s come, NRT may be served by them freeing another 77W. For HND, no indication of anything so far.

Comment

• It's already been almost 8 weeks. I guess it will be New Year's or close to that that SWG hatches. I already know for sure SWG will be a 77WR, since last year, SWE took about the same time AFAIK and hatched sometime close to New Year's.

Comment

• Regarding SQ638/637 I have a strong feeling it would get the A380 once the 3 class config 77W is gone. Its load is very high from what I observed when I flew on this flight in Nov and return in Dec and I was surprised when the A380 that flew me there was filled completely and so is the return flight on a 77W so SQ should probably be looking at the A380 for this flight as it could make them quite a fair amount of money.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQkid View Post
                                Regarding SQ638/637 I have a strong feeling it would get the A380 once the 3 class config 77W is gone. Its load is very high from what I observed when I flew on this flight in Nov and return in Dec and I was surprised when the A380 that flew me there was filled completely and so is the return flight on a 77W so SQ should probably be looking at the A380 for this flight as it could make them quite a fair amount of money.
                                That's pretty impressive. As I said, my prediction is when more new A380's come, they will also probably be assigned to the NRT route as well. I'm sure Suites must be packed at 12 but the new one has half of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X