SQTalk  

Go Back   SQTalk > Singapore Airlines > All About Singapore Airlines

Old 24th January 2018, 07:01 AM   #1
Metropolitan Airlines
SQTalk PPS Club

Default Changes to Canberra Services

SQ 247/248 is extending to Wellington 4 times daily
SQ 291/292 Cancelled
SQ 288 will run as a triangle route, first stop Sydney then Canberra and then Singapore.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/singapore-a...-daily-flights

Finally Singapore Airlines is listening to the demands of Sydney passengers and adding an evening departure from Sydney which allow us to arrive Singapore in the morning.

I hope Premium Economy is available on this service so that budget premium passengers like myself would be able to enjoy better services on SQ.
Metropolitan Airlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 07:04 AM   #2
feb01mel
SQTalk Solitaire PPS

Programs: QPPS, Intercontinental IHG Platinum Ambassador
Send a message via MSN to feb01mel
Default SIN-SYD-CBR & SIN-MEL-WLG from 1 May 2018

Singapore Airlines brings first class to Canberra on daily flights

https://www.ausbt.com.au/singapore-a...-daily-flights

Singapore Airlines is shaking up its Canberra flights, adding a via-Sydney leg on the way from Singapore and upgrading the aircraft to a Boeing 777-300ER to include first class, lie-flat business class and premium economy from May 1.

Canberra flights will also step up to a daily frequency, but lose the dogleg to Wellington – effectively putting an end to the Capital Express flight launched with great fanfare in September 2016.

In its place comes a new Melbourne-Wellington service, attached onto the existing SQ247/SQ248 flights, which will be retimed to run four times a week from May 3.
feb01mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 08:09 AM   #3
SilverChris
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS

Now that's a surprise. I thought the very survival of the route was in question.
SilverChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 08:34 AM   #4
SQueeze
SQTalk Solitaire PPS

Programs: SQ QPP, 9W JP Platinum, VN GL Silver

This is interesting. Finally Sydney has a red eye flight to Singapore.
I think the triangle routing will do well.

All the best
SQueeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 10:27 AM   #5
SilverKrisSRG
SQTalk Elite Gold

Programs: PPS Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQueeze View Post
This is interesting. Finally Sydney has a red eye flight to Singapore.
I think the triangle routing will do well.

All the best
Great, now I can fly out of Sydney to connect Silk Air to SRG without having to stay in Singapore for 6 hours at transit hotel. I normally take SQ242 from Sydney to arrive in Singapore midnight, then sleep for 6 hours slot at Transit Hotel. Or I had to take midnight flight out of MEL/BNE to arrive morning in SIN.

SQ288 will be good for SYD to connect with regional Asian flights as well.
SilverKrisSRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 03:13 PM   #6
SQfanatic

Programs: KrisFlyer

SQ288 to SYD has a similar timing like SQ211 though departing an hour later. Nothing has been modified for the existing 211/212 route, but it's neat to know SYD pax will have the option to reach during early morning hours even with the 1 stop.

The flight via MEL to WLG will be a 772 though
SQfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 08:25 PM   #7
JonathanL
SQTalker

It's a waste to offer SQ metal service to Canberra from Sydney considering the short distance. The best cost effective way is to partner with Virgin Australia for a codeshared flight instead
JonathanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 09:21 PM   #8
SSP
SQTalker

I have an upcoming booking in June 18 for the original capital express route. Wonder what will happened to my booking.

I tried to go into manage booking page at SQ website, it shows me an invalid ticket/booking reference number.
SSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 10:45 PM   #9
wdranne
SQTalk Elite Gold

I believe one of the biggest savings that comes out of this is the crew operating pattern - not having to put the crew up for 2 nights each at CBR and WLG anymore just after operating a 3h+ sector.

But yes, operating a presumably 4-class 77W daily on a route that's shorter than SIN-KUL seems too much of an overkill. My guess is an obligation of sorts or an agreement to maintain a service to CBR in some way or another. Or some politicians' preference for First Class
wdranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2018, 04:12 AM   #10
SQ228

Programs: KF Pleb

Very curious flight timings on SQ247/8. Essentially it's running almost parallel with SQ227/8. Heading out of MEL on Fri, Sat & Sun evenings is great news for availability for onward connections. Tuesday night may become bargain basement though, to fill departures of SQ228 (1540), SQ248 (1650), SQ208 (1825).

There was definitely some work being done on the system last night. At around 0100 my phone got email and texts telling me my SQ237 flight in July had been rescheduled to depart at the same time but renumbered as SQ6001. A little after 0300 another round of reschedule alerts told me SQ6001 had been replaced by SQ237.
SQ228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2018, 07:52 PM   #11
sbs2716g
SQTalk PPS Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdranne View Post
I believe one of the biggest savings that comes out of this is the crew operating pattern - not having to put the crew up for 2 nights each at CBR and WLG anymore just after operating a 3h+ sector.

But yes, operating a presumably 4-class 77W daily on a route that's shorter than SIN-KUL seems too much of an overkill. My guess is an obligation of sorts or an agreement to maintain a service to CBR in some way or another. Or some politicians' preference for First Class
But they have the sq247/248. So the crew still have to stay at WLG.

Is the Routing SIN SYD CBR SIN the first routing to use only one flight number ?
sbs2716g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2018, 08:16 PM   #12
reddevil0728
SQTalk PPS Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanL View Post
It's a waste to offer SQ metal service to Canberra from Sydney considering the short distance. The best cost effective way is to partner with Virgin Australia for a codeshared flight instead
I believe I read somewhere the Canberra service is heavily subsidised by the Aussie government? Maybe they feel that the capital should have "first class" treatment, hence they don't mind subsidising more.
reddevil0728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2018, 08:56 PM   #13
9V-SML
SQTalk Elite Silver

Programs: SQ *G, BA Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbs2716g View Post

Is the Routing SIN SYD CBR SIN the first routing to use only one flight number ?
Not SQ, but subsidiary Silkair uses flight number MI522 for SIN-MDL-RGN-SIN triangular routing as well.
9V-SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2018, 09:34 PM   #14
9V-SPL
SQTalk Solitaire PPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9V-SML View Post
Not SQ, but subsidiary Silkair uses flight number MI522 for SIN-MDL-RGN-SIN triangular routing as well.
Also MI588 (SIN-DVO-CEB-SIN), MI577 (SIN-CEB-KLO-SIN) and MI788 (SIN-VTE-LPQ-SIN).
Old 25th January 2018, 09:43 PM   #15
ycp81

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Flying Blue, Enrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbs2716g View Post

I believe the crew will do a MEL-WLG-MEL turnaround and stay in MEL instead. The MEL-WLG flight time is similar to a regional turnaround from SIN.

SQ used to have triangular routings with single flight numbers many years back as well.
ycp81 is offline   Reply With Quote