SQTalk  

Go Back   SQTalk > General > Singapore & Changi Airport

Old 7th December 2017, 07:40 PM   #1
MAN Flyer
SQTalk Founder

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, SPG Plat75, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Dia
Default Changi Immigration problems*

They really are going to have to do something about this before the hard earned reputation Changi has justifiably earned over many years for efficiency and convenience is ruined by the constant, and now regularly lengthy, queue's to get through. I accept that it takes longer due to the finger printing (why they say the need for that is another debate entirely...) but when about half the immigration desks are sat unused then it's a problem they can do something about.

Immigration queue's are what all other airports do, Changi has always prided itself on being different to all other airports. So it needs sorting out, and quickly, before the reputation turns. I know many on here don't have to queue up in the first place, but many others do!.

*I thought of saying 'queues' but I consider it a problem!

Last edited by MAN Flyer; 7th December 2017 at 07:52 PM..
MAN Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2017, 10:32 AM   #2
SQ025
SQTalk Elite Gold

Iam still puzzled that they now allow Non-Residents to use the automatic gates on Departure. Most people are unfamiliar with the use of these gates and just creating a big mess. ICA is deploying additional staff now, but the queues are still there (while the immigration counters are underutilized).
SQ025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2017, 02:01 PM   #3
jonleong
SQTalk Elite Gold

Programs: QPPS

I go through Changi immigration every other week for 10 months of the year and I cannot recall once when all the automated gates were actually working. In the last 6 months there were easily 2 gates not working each time I passed through. These days when the manned counters have no queues I usually just head that way as the automated gates even when working are slow and not very responsive.
jonleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2017, 02:12 PM   #4
scooby5
SQTalk PPS Club

Programs: KF-Gold, CX
Send a message via MSN to scooby5 Send a message via Yahoo to scooby5 Send a message via Skype™ to scooby5

I haven't come through often and seen long queues waiting for counters but I only come through a couple of times a month. The automated gates are certainly more problematic in the past year or so, maybe related to an extended data search behind when reviewing now non-resident passports.

I can see the advantage, coming out of Melbourne (first ever trip) as non-resident we also had to use the automated gate - I don't remember even seeing a counter - with face recognition like we have here at T4 and an increasing number of ports in Europe. The woman next to me couldn't get her passport scanned to get through the gate and asked me to tell the counter staff once I was through.......didn't need to since I could tell instantly she was trying to scan her passport by not putting in the page with her photo even........sheesh!

The finger print use, I think, is where the problem starts locally as most people using auto gates are familiar with facial recognition ones.
scooby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2017, 02:58 PM   #5
SQ025
SQTalk Elite Gold

The automated gates have been improved significantly during the past 12 month. They work much better now.
I use them a few times per month and it was quite common to get error message (every 3rd time or so), while I was waiting initially and asked for help later I just went through as they gate would open anyway. The ICA officers seem not to be too bothered, some would wave you through anyway.
SQ025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2017, 01:19 AM   #6
MAN Flyer
SQTalk Founder

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, SPG Plat75, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Dia

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby5 View Post
I haven't come through often and seen long queues waiting for counters but I only come through a couple of times a month.
Crikey I have, almost every visit now. It started becoming a problem before the finger printing was introduced so it can't all be blamed on that. At first I just thought it was a bit of a blip but it's clearly not. To be fair my brother came in on SQ833 later the same day and waltzed straight through with nobody there so it's clearly not all the time. I would imagine I have entered Singapore 25-30 times in the last couple of years and the queues have been there at least 75% of the time, in a couple of cases for well over 30 minutes, especially this year. Now I know there are other places were queue's are standard and sometimes (much) longer, but this is Changi, which is supposed to be the 'best' and most efficient.

Leaving is never a problem because I have access to the SQ F check-in and the 'private' entrance but F pax, TPP's etc get nothing inbound and this is where the issues are, so it's something SQ need to be looking at.