Favorite airplane from the SIA fleet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the old 747. cos it was my 1st J, and I was completely floored then

Nowadays, I certainly like the super-wide J product in long haul 388 and 77W with 388 scoring on low-noise and 77W on shorter immigration queues with smaller load

I have yet to sample A350

Comment

Looking at the poll results right now, I find it puzzling that the 777-200/200ER has more votes than the A350 and A330. How can anyone prefer flying the 772ERs over the newer planes? The A330 significantly improved regional travel on SQ and the A350 has done the same for long haul routes previously operated by 772ERs. I seriously loathe flying the 772ERs with their worn-out and outdated cabin products.

Comment

I haven't been on the A350 yet.
        The 200ERs are fitted with the long haul J which I'd take over the A330 J anyday. I also prefer the Spacebeds to the regional J, wider seat.
        The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

I travel 70% in Y so I'll use that as the basis for my choice
          And I qualify I havent been on the 350

1. 380
          ++ the mini Y cabin upstairs though I reckon it will go away with the introduction of PEY
          + The massive aircraft creates the impression of more space
          + overall comfort
          - boarding and landing takes longer with more people onboard

+ love the 2-4-2 config

- i dont like the 3-3-3 layout but of course it is miles ahead of the 10-abreast most other airlines use

- I always end up with those damn birds with the blue-purple seats. When on earth are they gonna leave the fleet?!

Comment

777-300ER. Only thing that lets it down is the noise.

Comment

the 772Rs. they're spacious and have lesser seats so the flights are generally quieter. plus the bulkhead seats on row 31 are easy to obtain since bassinet are blocked in the B, E and J seats (the window seats are blocked for the bassinets on the 772ERs!)

flown the 772Rs over 100 times in the past 3 years

Comment

Absolutely love the 777-300ER. Yes its noisy and and loud and some interiors are getting a bit old, but it was a technical marvel in its day (about a decade ago) and there is a reason why it has become Boeing's new flagship aircraft (kinda). In fact though it is no longer cutting edge it is certainly an advanced and reliable aircraft. I particularly LOVE the sound of those monster GE90-115Bs starting and spooling up for takeoff. Best part of the flight. It is one heck of a powerful beast.

Regarding products, i've had the privilege of sitting in the 2013 F on the 77WN, 2006 F on the 77W, 2013 J also on the 77WN, 2006 J on the A380, 2006 Y on the A330 and the old purple Y on the 772ERs. Therefore, its hard to compare the same product across all the birds that have it since my experience has been rather spread out. The only comparable one is in F on the 77W and the 2013 F wins by a large margin, but then again that is already obvious.

In terms of cabin comfort, the A380 wins in terms of noise but in terms of humidity (especially on longhauls), the 77Ws trump them. Every A380 flight i've been on has left my skin especially dry (even with constant moisturisation, don't ask me why) but i've never had that issue on the 77W. My A330 experience was a 4 hour flight from TPE so its hard to compare. Can't remember my experience on the 772ERs as that was nearly 12 years ago.

Of course if we were thinking about SQ's fleet over the last decade, my vote would be the B744. There's nothing quite as iconic as a Boeing 747 to me. I was sad when the A380 took away its limelight lol.
                Last edited by loldude333; 9 September 2016, 10:30 AM.

Comment

777-300ER Noisy yes but the immense power from those engines is fantastic.
                  And to think they are hugely overpowered for such as small aircraft

777-200ER as that was my aircraft from MAN-SIN for years...

747-400 in the front seat 1B (you felt like you were flying the thing!).

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                    It did have a very comfortable Y product back when it was in its original purple form. I did experience it a few times to/from AMS or CPH. In my opinion, the "refurb" totally ruined it and now it feels horrible to sit in.
                    Totally agree. Use to do the 77E to CPH, AMS and MAN regularly in Y. Most comfortable seats despite the lousy IFE system.
                    God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Love the B772ER. Takes me back...

Comment

I think the poll needs to list the 777 variations separately. The 773 is a totally different experience to the 773ER, the same for 772 and the 772ER.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                          I think the poll needs to list the 777 variations separately. The 773 is a totally different experience to the 773ER, the same for 772 and the 772ER.
                          Should I change the poll? Because quite a few have already voted for the 777-200/777-200ER and 777-300/777-300ER.
                          Singapore Airlines fan in Sweden.

Comment

We can always revote

Comment

Originally posted by loldude333 View Post
                              We can always revote
                              I guess I will change it later then.

And finally a vote for the A330!
                              Singapore Airlines fan in Sweden.

Comment

No prizes for guessing my favourite SQ aircraft of all time

But over time I've learned to love the 777-300ER - raked wingtips, powerful GE90 engines and the length looks right, makes the aircraft look elegant. Thus it gets my vote amongst SQ's present fleet. Helps that it's still 9-abreast on SQ.

Comment

Working...
                                X