T2 to undergo major facelift 2019-2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T2 to undergo major facelift 2019-2024

The works at T2 will include upgrading the facility with, for example, new check-in areas and counters so that more self-service options for passengers, such as those now available at T1, can be rolled out.

The baggage handling system will also be overhauled to allow for more automation to reduce manpower requirements, for example, to sort early check-in bags.
    http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...nd-end-by-2024

Yes we are getting bored with the place. )

Again?
    Wasn't it just renovated not too long ago?

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
      Again?
      If my degenerating grey cells is still working, I recall only T1 having had a major renovation. T2 only had the two piers added?

Comment

oh no... I hope they preserve the Departure Hall flip board

Comment

Again?
          Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
          If my degenerating grey cells is still working, I recall only T1 having had a major renovation. T2 only had the two piers added?
          The last (and I think only) major renovation of T2 was in 2003-2006, well after the two piers were added. But yes, I agree that it doesn't seem that long ago!

Comment

Again?
            My thoughts exactly!

I think at any given time, there will be some renovation going on somewhere in Changi...

Comment

Perhaps they need to find a way to spent the additional millions they'll now be collecting through the revised airport tax.

Comment

I grew up always using T2 whenever I took India trips through Singapore. Some friends and family like T2 a lot especially for shopping since there seems to be a few more stores than T3. Looking forward to how it will look 6 years from now.

Comment

Indeed T2 wasn't renovated too long ago but from the sound of it, it's more that they're trying to give it more automation and such, rather than changing the facade

Comment

Honestly, I'm really happy. T2 looks pretty dated now, worst of the four terminals now that T1's improvements + Jewel are almost done.

Comment

This will include a new Skytrain service from Terminal 2 to Terminal 5.

Comment

This article states that T2 arrival will receive 2 more baggage belts:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...ater-this-year (ST Premium alert)

Renovations to expand Changi Airport Terminal 2's capacity will begin in the last quarter of this year.
                        The facelift includes the departure hall, which will have a new layout of check-in counters, and automated check-in kiosks and bag-drop machines.
                        To handle more bags, there will be 10 baggage belts in the arrival hall - up from the current eight, two of which will also be lengthened. Meanwhile, in the transit area, new shops and eateries will be added in a garden setting.

The works will take four to five years to complete, and will boost Changi Airport's total handling capacity by up to five million passengers a year to about 90 million.
                        More details of T2's planned enhancements will be released in the coming months.
                        Also, bussing may be expected to increase:

Before it opens, travellers will have to get used to being bussed more often from the terminals to their aircraft instead of always using aerobridges, said Mr Lee.
                        Today, this affects about 5 per cent of flights but the number could increase to up to 30 per cent.
                        "We think we can make bussing a reasonably good experience, though. If you only travel once in a while, having access to the apron is really not a bad experience."
                        He added, half in jest: "It's what billionaires with private jets do. You walk, smell a bit of the engine oil."
                        an infrastructure geek

Comment

Working...
                        X