Singapore Dining - Da Dong Prawn Noodles @ 354 Joo Chiat Road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singapore Dining - Da Dong Prawn Noodles @ 354 Joo Chiat Road

There is no shortage of good prawn noodles in Singapore. Contenders for best in Singapore include the famous Pek Kio Prawn Noodles, and there is a well known one at Tekka Market that Anthony Bourdain once visited.

But my favourite in Singapore has to be Da Dong Prawn Noodles at 354 Joo Chiat Road.

This is located at a corner coffee shop along Joo Chiat Road, at the picturesque Junction of Joo Chiat Road and Marshall Lane.

It opens in the morning, from 7.30am onwards till lunchtime, with Tuesdays off. It is quite crowded on weekends -- I prefer to go there early on Monday mornings for breakfast, when it is a lot less busy. A great way to beat Monday morning blues!

They do a variety of prawn, big prawn and pork noodles, essentially made to order, based on whatever combination of ingredients you want. Some folks focus on prawns, whereas I prefer a mixture of prawns and pork.

You can have it in soup, or dry...

They do a great liver and pork mee sua soup as well...

The common denominator in all of this is their incredible pork and prawn stock, which is out of this world. Super refined and full of intense flavour...some of the nicest prawn/pork soup stock you can find anywhere, which i think frankly puts most other places to shame.

The stock is so precious that they have a stated policy of not doing soup refillls.

There is also a mission statement printed on the stall: this is not some corporate mission statement, but the sincere goal of the family responsible for this culinary treasure.

I believe the sign was put up by the father, a very warm and friendly elderly gentleman, who has since retired. His son has taken up the mantle and continues to serve up these wonderful bowls of pork & prawn noodles.

Price per bowl ranges from $5 to $20. The large bowls are not cheap, but absolutely worth it for the quality you are getting: these are pork/prawn noodles elevated to a level beyond what you would get anywhere else.

Of late, this stall has become a must-go dining venue when Kyo and I meet up for a meal, and we've also had other SQTalkers join us for weekend breakfasts there as well.

Stalls of this quality and lineage are few and far between these days: a family run operation, passed down from father to son, serving up some of the most delicious and refined pork/prawn noodles in Singapore.

The fact that the location is in a pleasant corner coffee-shop in a quiet and rustic part of Joo Chiat, with ample parking available across the street, is also a plus.

Highly, highly recommended!

Thanks for sharing. That corner of Singapore houses a selection of really good food. My favorite breakfast is from the roti prata stall in the coffee shop at the corner of Joo Chiat and Dunman. It's called Mr & Mrs Mohgan's, run by Mr & Mrs M. But the wait time to get your prata on a weekend morning sometimes exceeds an hour. We usually eat another mini-breakfast of wonton noodles from the stall next door while waiting for our order. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by 259850 View Post
      Thanks for sharing. That corner of Singapore houses a selection of really good food. My favorite breakfast is from the roti prata stall in the coffee shop at the corner of Joo Chiat and Dunman. It's called Mr & Mrs Mohgan's, run by Mr & Mrs M. But the wait time to get your prata on a weekend morning sometimes exceeds an hour. We usually eat another mini-breakfast of wonton noodles from the stall next door while waiting for our order. Lol.
      Hi 259850! Yes, Joo Chiat / East Coast area has lots of good food! I know Mr & Mrs Mohgan's roti prata as well. Just ate there last month in fact, and also waited a really long time (On a weekday). I personally prefer Springleaf Prata Place further East, at Jln Tua Kong, but Mr & Mrs Mohgan are pretty good too! I like the fact that it really is the husband and wife team of Mr and Mrs Mohgan at the stall.

For wonton noodles, I usually head to either Fei Fei at Joo Chiat Place, or Eng's in Tanjong Katong. The other really popular place is the Alibabar kopitiam, at the corner of East Coast Road and Joo Chiat, which has legendary fried hokkien mee and hokkien mee sua.

Comment

Working...
      X