A380 - Master Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
    That was the delivery schedule before the fifth round of delays.
    Please stop spreading this false information. There have been three big delays and one minor which means Airbus will deliver 21 Superjumbo's instead of 25 in 2009.

Comment

November 2008 of article FLUG revue

A380 has succesful debut at SIA

good reading : http://www.flugrevue.de/index.php?id=4033

Only then will it also be possible to decide which further routes to operate with the A380 and whether to transfer the Singapore-Frankfurt-New York JFK route to the new superjumbo, for example, thus ensuring that SIA flies its first A380 to Frankfurt before Lufthansa can do so. Due to the turnaround times, at the moment three Boeing 747-400's all fly on this route at the same time. Moreover, SIA uses the relatively long ground time at New York JFK, from late morning to the return flight take-off at 9pm, for maintenance work on the jumbos. Whether this arrangement will change has yet to be decided.

Comment

Near-term refinements for the A380 include MTOW increase.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...gher-mtow.html

Will this mean more A380 sales? More importantly, how will this affect the 747-8?

Comment

Originally posted by s7r0ng3r View Post
          Will this mean more A380 sales? More importantly, how will this affect the 747-8?
          There is a very good chance that Airbus could sell some more WhaleJets after the economy picks up. However, the performance/range improvements mentioned in the quoted article are not enough for SFO/LAX-SIN nonstop. If Airbus can further reduce the weight a few more tonnes and tweak the aerodynamics for a 1% increase in L/D and RR can reduce SFC another 2%, then I think SQ might exercise the remaining 6 options for nonstop services to North America. Right now, SQ has every reason to defer the 2nd tranche 9V-SKK through 9V-SKS for a few years and take delivery of improved WhaleJets when the demand is there.

The 747-8F will probably sell well again when the economy recovers from the "stimulus," but the 747-8I is just too large to ever sell well.

Comment

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_377137.html

SQ announced that they will take delivery of 9V-SKK this year (which had been planned for Q1 2010). I would love to know how much Airbus are paying SQ to take earlier delivery.

Comment

....SQ announced that they will take delivery of 9V-SKK this year (which had been planned for Q1 2010). I would love to know how much Airbus are paying SQ to take earlier delivery.
              Must have been a canceled one from other airlines. SQ probably gets it close to free.

I would like to know where it will be deployed. Another whalejet destination?

Comment

Originally posted by TerryK View Post
                I would like to know where it will be deployed. Another whalejet destination?
                Maybe relief of the other frames for heavy MX?

Comment

I'm not aware of any recent cancellations, but there has been a slew of deferrals. Airbus would be providing incentives to anyone willing to take delivery earlier in order to keep production stable. The aircraft is certainly not close to free, but I would not be surprised by several million euro in spares and MX for earlier delivery. Perhaps free pilot training too.

It's way too soon for heavy MX, though we should be seeing some B checks. I thought we'd see this with 9V-SKG but it now looks like 9V-SKH will be delivered at nearly the same time -- just in time to start CDG.

Comment

Here I go with again with harping questions over MEL being an A380 destination eventually.

SIN-MEL currently has 3 flights daily,
                    SQ217-218 serviced with 77W (currently 77E until the end of the month)
                    SQ227-228 serviced with 744
                    SQ237-238 serviced with 773

Both SQ217-218 and SQ237-238 are turn around flights, meaning they are serviced by one aircraft which flies back and forth each day in the 24 hr period, as the flight timing and approx 7hr flight allow this. This is what I am assuming happens unless they fly onto other destinations and vice versa.

SQ227-228 however has a lap over of times in SIN, as SQ227 sits in MEL from 6.10am until 3.50pm, meaning it arrives back into SIN to late to do a turn around, as SQ228 has left SIN before SQ227 arrives.

It is popular belief for MEL to ever get an A380 it would be flights SQ227-228, is this need for 2 aircraft to service those flights a problem, and a reason MEL hasn't had an A380 as yet, or would they just use aircraft coming and going to/from other destinations? Also is the lay over of times in MEL of almost 10 hours to long to have an A380 sitting idle?

I hope the above makes sense and I thank you for any thoughts you may be able to share.

SQ238.

Comment

It is extremely rare for any aircraft to be in a captive rotation -- flying back and forth to the same destination. Normally, an aircraft will have a rotation of several days during which it will fly to different destinations and between which it will get light MX.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ238 View Post
                        or would they just use aircraft coming and going to/from other destinations? Also is the lay over of times in MEL of almost 10 hours to long to have an A380 sitting idle?
                        227 can go back as 238. leaving a 777 idle on the ground for a bit longer when 217 comes back as 228 - if leaving an A380 on the ground for 10 hours is too long. Mind you though, the situation exists with 221/222, so it's not unheard of.

Comment

but with SQ now going ahead with its scheduled A380s deliveries,(instead of deferring some) there would be some excesses and long lay-overs will be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                            227 can go back as 238. leaving a 777 idle on the ground for a bit longer when 217 comes back as 228 - if leaving an A380 on the ground for 10 hours is too long. Mind you though, the situation exists with 221/222, so it's not unheard of.
                            Thanks SQflyergirl and others for your thoughts.

Interesting what you say zvezda about aircraft not ever really just doing turn arounds, something I certainly didn't know.

I wasn't sure if SQ238 loads would warrant using the A380 as the return aircraft. I have flown SQ238 3 times this year, 773 each time, and it has been pretty much totally full each time. I'm not sure if that is normal or just the days I flew.

I guess they could always alternate as seasons required.

SQ238.

Comment

The reason why SQ leave aircraft on the ground in OZ is to keep the flights synchronized with the LHR flights to and from SIN.

Originally posted by SQ238 View Post
                              I guess they could always alternate as seasons required.
                              One possibility for MEL is 1x daily WhaleJet service year-round plus 2x daily 777-300s in high season or 2x daily A330-300s in low season. SYD should eventually support 2x daily WhaleJet service -- at least during high season -- plus a 777-300. Once upon a time, SQ planned 3x daily WhaleJet service to SYD.

Comment

SQ announced that they will take delivery of 9V-SKK this year (which had been planned for Q1 2010).
                                Upon further reflection, SQ may have said this fiscal year and the journalist may have been negligent in omitting that detail.

Comment

Working...
                                X