A380 - Master Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cell7481 View Post
    If SQ retimed the NRT 380 flight so that it leaves in the AM, couldnt SQ 11/12 be flown with 1 more bird? It would be tight but with a 12 hour time from LA and a 10 hour time from NRT to LA would leave 2 hours ground time in LAX. I know its not ideal but damn if SQ cant turn SQ 11/12 in NRT in 70 minutes.
    SQ's WhaleJet utilization is currently low enough that your suggestion would work fine. However ...

Why would SQ want to upgauge SQ11/12 to WhaleJet service now? Operating costs per trip would increase 5%. Would revenue increase 5%? Perhaps, but I doubt it. Even if revenue were to rise 5%, that leaves nothing to cover payments on the new aircraft.

Until demand picks up, I can't see SQ operating anything other than a JumboJet or a 777-300ER SIN-NRT-LAX. When 9V-SKK is delivered in January, FRA or a 3rd daily LHR seem a lot more likely routes for upgauging. If it's LHR, then SQ11/12 should get the leftover 777-300ERs and we'll see a couple more JumboJets withdrawn.

Comment

• There are talks that Zurich could get the A380 in Jan. If that is the case, a number of B773ERs would be freed up to replace the B744s. Also, certain B773ER medium haul routes such as MEL, SYD, BOM and DEL could be replaced by refurbished B773As.
      My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

• Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
        There are talks that Zurich could get the A380 in Jan.
        I've heard that rumour. It sounds like one the flight crew or cabin crew might have started. The problems with the idea of SQ replacing 2x daily 777-300ER service to ZRH with 1x daily WhaleJet service are:
        - SQ would lose a lot of passengers to one-stop service at schedule times convenient for the passengers,
        - SQ would lose a lot of passengers to one-stop service who are prohibited by company rules from traveling on the same flight as their team members,
        - LX would almost certainly restart ZRH-SIN service and SQ would lose their monopoly on nonstop service.

Alternatively, SQ could replace 2x daily 777-300ER service with 1x daily WhaleJet plus 1x daily 777-200ER to ZRH. The problems with that are that it would result in higher total trip costs and the 777-200ERs still have the SpaceBeds, not the Diamond seats.

Comment

• Yes, the rumours should be true, I have already highlighed before,

(1) Zurich & Frankfurt may get the A380s (Zurich station manager is getting ready for it)

(2) HKG A380 may stop sometime soon

(3) A380 will be fully Business Class on the upper deck starting from the 11th or 12th aircraft delivery

Comment

• excuse me if this question has already been asked, but which aircraft on the Singapore-Melbourne flight will the A380 be replacing, 773, 77W or 744?

Comment

• A380 melbourne will be replacing the 744, SQ227-228 daily flight from 29 Sep onwards

Comment

• I will be taking my first ever A380 flight soon (to SYD thanks to UG1) in Business Class.

I will be picking the window seats and I would like to know:

1. What seats should be avoided besides Row 11? (e.g. missing window, narrower seat, etc)

2. Seats in Row 11 are relatively narrower. Does Row 17 seats have the same narrow width like Row 11?

3. Does Row 17 seats have the same foot-rest configuration like Row 11 and 14 on the B77W?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Comment

• Originally posted by aerosmith View Post
                  I will be taking my first ever A380 flight soon (to SYD thanks to UG1) in Business Class.

I will be picking the window seats and I would like to know:

1. What seats should be avoided besides Row 11? (e.g. missing window, narrower seat, etc)

2. Seats in Row 11 are relatively narrower. Does Row 17 seats have the same narrow width like Row 11?

3. Does Row 17 seats have the same foot-rest configuration like Row 11 and 14 on the B77W?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
                  1. It's a misconception that all Row 11 is bad. 11D and F are quite nice, they're normal width and you don't get windows in the center anyhow. It's 11A and K that you should avoid.

2. No. The narrow width for 11AK are due to fuselage taper. Row 17 does not have the same issue.

3. Yes. It's similar.

Comment

• ...talking of establishing the best-seating aboard the 380, a colleague and I (both regular J travellers on the whalejet) were trying to figure out which seats (and which part of the cabin) are actually shown on the trailer video found on the SQ website. For sure the seats shown are obviously marketed to look the most spacious in the cabin, whether they exist was our question.

https://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_...?v=-285249429&

We came to the conclusion that perhaps an aircraft mock-up was used, as the window seats without a seat in front (extra legroom) are rows 11 and 17, yet in reality rows 11 does not have 3 windows, equally row 17 is not 3 rows before a bulkhead as shown on the trailer. As many of you will recall this trailer is the same as the "deploying your bed" video used onboard.

From my experience stick with 15A, 14A, 11D or F (I agree with previous posts about row 11) or 18D or F

Comment

• Wasn't the trailer video released with the 77W seats? I downloaded that same video when the 77W was launched.
                      Last edited by wsssaero; 11 October 2009, 10:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Will SQ paint one of its A380s in Star Alliance scheme? Has SQ ever skipped a letter in its roster of registrations for any type of aircraft?

I ask because a certain model maker, albeit known to make fantasy models every now and then, is making a model of an SQ A380 with Star Alliance color scheme and registered 9V-SKT.
                        http://www.aviation-collection.fr/ma...ct-1387878.htm

SQ only has 19 A380s on order and if they don't skip one letter, registrations will stop at 9V-SKS.

Comment

• Originally posted by fuu99 View Post
                          Will SQ paint one of its A380s in Star Alliance scheme? Has SQ ever skipped a letter in its roster of registrations for any type of aircraft?
                          SWC, SMX.... off the top of my head.

They obviously weren't the last as there was/is an SWB, SWD, SMW and SMY. I'm sure there are more.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                            SWC, SMX.... off the top of my head.

They obviously weren't the last as there was/is an SWB, SWD, SMW and SMY. I'm sure there are more.
                            I read that they skipped 9V-SWC to avoid having to write "WC" on the nose landing gears which in Europe means "toilet" (water closet?). Maybe they avoided "MX" as many take it to mean "maintenance"? Anyway, I'm curious if there is any reason to skip 9V-SKL/M/N/O/P/Q/R/S, such that we may have a 9V-SKT.

When the jumbos finally leave, perhaps they will transfer the Star Alliance scheme on one of the A380s?

Comment

• I believe SQ is contractually obliged to fly at least three of their aircraft in Star Alliance livery as part of their agreement with Star Alliance. The livery is currently flown on SPP, SRE and SYE (correct me if I'm wrong).

Whether a *A livery is flown on an A380 is anyone's guess. Personally I don't think so.

Unless SQ reneges on their A380 orders, we probably will see a 9V-SKT.

SQ skipped 9V-SKO when the SK* registrations were used for the 747-312s.

Comment

• Originally posted by kelvgoh View Post
                                I believe SQ is contractually obliged to fly at least three of their aircraft in Star Alliance livery as part of their agreement with Star Alliance. The livery is currently flown on SPP, SRE and SYE (correct me if I'm wrong).

Whether a *A livery is flown on an A380 is anyone's guess. Personally I don't think so.

Unless SQ reneges on their A380 orders, we probably will see a 9V-SKT.

SQ skipped 9V-SKO when the SK* registrations were used for the 747-312s.
                                I was looking at the spreadsheet from airlinerlist.com and indeed they skipped 9V-SKO. However, the 743s also skipped 9V-SKI whereas a whalejet has been delivered with such a reg, if I'm not mistaken.

Oh well, who knows what letter SQ might skip...

Comment

Working...
                                X