Fillet Steak in Y - SQ616 SIN-KIX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 726 View Post
    long time no see..... This is a rarity on SQ flights now. Also a rarity: haagen dasz ice cream.
    I've been to ANA recently and the food was really surprisingly good. I've been using SQ all the time for long haul flights (for a long time - at least from 1990s) until that moment I stepped into ANA metal.
    Hi 726!

For whatever reason, I have never flown ANA...still on my to-do list. Preferably on one of their aircraft with quirky layouts like their 3-4-2 Boeing 777's. Or their R2D2 Dreamliner...

I have heard their catering is very good!

Comment

Originally posted by calvinoeh View Post
      I refuse to bring my parents/relatives/whoever that can't take their meat "ang ang" to any steakhouse when they visit Such a waste of good meat when it's overcooked
      Agreed! I've learnt my lesson never to take non-hardcore steak lovers to a steak house.

These days, I avoid steakhouses altogether in Singapore. They tend to be overpriced. For steak, I'll buy the meat from either a butcher or supermarket, and Mrs yflyer will cook it!

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
        Always interesting to note that on the Jap flights, the Japanese tray will get the additional soba noodles while the International tray gets nothing and will look pretty bare(no more cheese and crackers). Moral of the story, always go for the Jap selection on Jap sectors.
        I love the soba noodles they serve on Y trays...can't resist ordering the Japanese selection just to have the cold soba.

One of those foods that seem to taste better inflight than on the ground, like tomato juice.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
          For whatever reason, I have never flown ANA...still on my to-do list.

It is. Their fish dishes on board is really Ab Fab

Comment

Hi 726!

For whatever reason, I have never flown ANA...still on my to-do list. Preferably on one of their aircraft with quirky layouts like their 3-4-2 Boeing 777's. Or their R2D2 Dreamliner...

Neither have i (for long haul), that is until october this year. My previous japan flights were always sq (save for those to and from korea which is normally ana or asiana). I was in NH's business class and to be fair I compared it with SQ's business class (though like you i fly mostly y). Quality is superior. I literally ate the food with growing smile as it was really unbelievable, which caused the stewardess approach me and said "daijyoubu desuka/you're ok?"

I have to admit though, as a semi-veggie (fish and chicken are okay), the food selection in sq is superior. Book the cook has been especially helpful to me, though in Y, i've ended up with instant noodle several times.

I've decided to fly ana again. In fact i've got one ana and one sq ticket to japan for next year.

Back to topic, that luxury was common for sq in 1990/2000s. I remembered my lhr flights, it was always haagen dazs, though as recent as 2012 i got singapore sling ice cream which was very good. Nowadays I especially hate it when sq serve stick ice cream as i got sensitive teeth.

Comment

On vacation or work? Recently discovered the delights of Osaka myself...great city to explore on foot, and amazing food in the street markets (And also in convenence stores!)...

Hope you got to try the steak!
              Yes! They had the same last night on SQ636 to HND last night. Very flavourful, well marinated and tender. Nice.

Today, we tried to eat at the Tsuta soba noodle shop that just got a Michelin star a few days ago but some how they had to close the queue at noon. Didn't understand the Japanese. Disappointed that I couldn't get to taste it.

Comment

Ignoring the tray, and just looking at the casserole, f you compare this SQ Y steak with what BA offers as a J main on SIN-LHR or LHR-YYZ, the SQ Y meal doesn't fare too badly

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13726#12

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthre...3726&page=3#32
                I've always given BA's steaks a wide berth.

Comment

I love the soba noodles they serve on Y trays...can't resist ordering the Japanese selection just to have the cold soba.
                  Soba being one of my favourite Japanese foods I wouldn't mind having a full serving as a meal.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                    It is. Their fish dishes on board is really Ab Fab
                    Originally posted by 726 View Post
                    Quality is superior. I literally ate the food with growing smile as it was really unbelievable, which caused the stewardess approach me and said "daijyoubu desuka/you're ok?"
                    Ok...now I am really keen to check out ANA's catering!

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                      Yes! They had the same last night on SQ636 to HND last night. Very flavourful, well marinated and tender. Nice.

Today, we tried to eat at the Tsuta soba noodle shop that just got a Michelin star a few days ago but some how they had to close the queue at noon. Didn't understand the Japanese. Disappointed that I couldn't get to taste it.
                      Nice to know SQ's catering is consistent!

Enjoy your trip to Japan, CarbonMan!

Are you planning to head back to that soba shop? I guess the side effect of getting a Michelin star, and all the publicity, is that queues are probably longer now than they were before.

I have been eating a lot of ramen in Osaka this week. Even the regular ramen places like Kinryu Ramen, Ichiran Ramen are so delicious! I seem to be the only fan in my family of Kinryu Ramen ("Dragon" Ramen...quick n cheap ramen in Dotonburi), whereas we all love Ichiran Ramen (We went to the one in Umeda).

Haven't had a lot of udon or soba so far, but will be keeping a lookout for interesting places.

I did have a spectacular cold udon as the final dish in an omakase meal at a small restaurant, Temra Matsu, in Arashiyama, just west of Kyoto last week, though!

Comment

Originally posted by eminere™ View Post
                        Soba being one of my favourite Japanese foods I wouldn't mind having a full serving as a meal.
                        I love cold soba on the ground! Not sure if a full serving of cold soba would sit so well in the tummy going through turbulence at 36,000 feet, though!

Comment

Nice to know SQ's catering is consistent!

Enjoy your trip to Japan, CarbonMan!

Are you planning to head back to that soba shop? I guess the side effect of getting a Michelin star, and all the publicity, is that queues are probably longer now than they were before.
                          Alas not. Tried Ichiran at Roppongi instead. Not bad but found their individual seating rather claustrophobic! Had another great bowl in a home inn in Yudanaka. Great ambience in the living room of someone's home who also opens the place for lunch. He's a collector of interesting watches, and displays the proudly in the living/dining room. When we praised the wife how good the ramen and gyoza (succulent on one side and lightly burnt crispy on the other), the chef husband ran out of his kitchen to say hello and take pics with us.

Today, we had another bowl in a restaurant called Sakura in Matsumoto. It's flavourful but I find both the char siew and stock a bit too salty.

This trip is turning into a ramen tour. Tomorrow is going to be a bus ride to Takayama. We'll see if we can find a ramen shop for lunch there.

Comment

Ok...now I am really keen to check out ANA's catering!
                            Waiting for your TR
                            Basically this was what I ate (not sure if links are allowed, if not please remove); https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%E...82%81%E3%82%93

I did not manage to take a picture of the dish as I was in a complete disbelief. Well, ANA did a very good job with that "campaign" to make those less well-known prefectures known to public by using foods. Come January, they indirectly send me to that certain prefecture. Can't wait.

Comment

Alas not. Tried Ichiran at Roppongi instead. Not bad but found their individual seating rather claustrophobic! Had another great bowl in a home inn in Yudanaka. Great ambience in the living room of someone's home who also opens the place for lunch. He's a collector of interesting watches, and displays the proudly in the living/dining room. When we praised the wife how good the ramen and gyoza (succulent on one side and lightly burnt crispy on the other), the chef husband ran out of his kitchen to say hello and take pics with us.

Today, we had another bowl in a restaurant called Sakura in Matsumoto. It's flavourful but I find both the char siew and stock a bit too salty.

This trip is turning into a ramen tour. Tomorrow is going to be a bus ride to Takayama. We'll see if we can find a ramen shop for lunch there.
                              I really "hated" people talking about ramen. Such a shame. If that happens 10 years ago while I still an omnivore, I would be able to taste it as well. As of now, I am stuck with toripaitan and veggie ramen (no porkie or other meats except chicken and fish). My favourite is Kagari in Ginza and Seirokuka in Tsukuba (Ibaraki Prefecture) (though I know it contains small amount of pork products but the majority of it is made of chicken)

Enjoy your trip to Japan. BTW if you love ramen, then Fukuoka/Hakata is for you.

Comment

Yum! Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Comment

Working...
                                X