Changi Airport fees going up 1st Jan 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changi Airport fees going up 1st Jan 2009

FLYING out of Singapore will cost more from Jan 1, when departure taxes go up.
    From $21 now - $15 airport tax and $6 security charge - travellers leaving from Changi Airport's main terminals will pay $28.

At the Budget Terminal, the tax will go up from $13 to $15.

http://news.asiaone.com/News/the%2BS...910-86808.html

Not stated in this article but even Seletar is going up from $15 to $18

Is that due to the increased cost of operating 3 terminals that are not running at their full capacity?

Comment

It's irritating that some people cannot spare a thought for the financial crisis we are in now. Even the Budget Terminal's $15 is as expensive as the tax Changi's main Terminals many years ago and even some airports in the region. Only making passengers go out of order.

Comment

Originally posted by SQalMundo View Post
        It's irritating that some people cannot spare a thought for the financial crisis we are in now. Even the Budget Terminal's $15 is as expensive as the tax Changi's main Terminals many years ago and even some airports in the region. Only making passengers go out of order.
        Not only the passengers who need money, the airport does too.
        zxcvbn

Comment

Originally posted by zxcvbn View Post
          Not only the passengers who need money, the airport does too.
          Sorry, just woke up... would you elaborate your statement please... Thanks.

Comment

I do apologize. I realize that my last post was rather..weird.

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
            Sorry, just woke up... would you elaborate your statement please... Thanks.
            Originally Posted by SQalMundo
            I'm assuming that "some people" means CAAS. From my interpretation, SQalMundo is meaning to say that the cost of departure tax is way too expensive.

I'm saying that SIN needs $$$ to operate as well, and this $$$ comes from passengers. Higher operating costs = more $$$ = we pay more.
            zxcvbn

Comment

the trouble with CAAS is the notion that they compare other international airport fees like HK or Europe without adjusting for the different variables like income, per capita, standard n costs of living etc. A straight forward comparison of fees is like comparing apples to durians.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                the trouble with CAAS is the notion that they compare other international airport fees like HK or Europe without adjusting for the different variables like income, per capita, standard n costs of living etc. A straight forward comparison of fees is like comparing apples to durians.
                According to our expert, Jubilee777:
                CAAS prices the airport charges based on the cost of operating Changi Airport, and not based on the airport taxes or operating cost of the other airports around.

Based on per capita GDP, SIN has one of the highest in the world, but the new airport taxes of S$28 is no way as high as places like Australia and Europe and those countries of lower GDP per capita.

According to the article, CAAS has not revised its $21 old airport tax since 1995 and has only included a new security tax of S$6 in 2002. During this period of time from 1995 till now, we have seen the upgrading of Terminals 1 (new piers), Terminal 2 (new piers and upgrading of terminal facade), opening of a brand new Terminal 3 and Budget Terminal and also the upcoming Terminal 1 upgrading.

These are all the extras which passengers having been paying for since 1995, which the airport taxes are being used....to upgrade its facilities for our comfort. Therefore, I dont think its a matter of just wanting to collect extra money for the sake of it.

At least we are not paying way more for a crappy airport....

Comment

it must also note that airports are also funded by the airlines that used it through landing fees, gate fees and a host of other fees and airlines are also charged for terminal use. Strictly on per capita, sin maybe one of the highest but it is not a true n accurate way to determine the real disposable income of the people - as bec sin govt have accumulated a huge amt of reserves n a small population - hence by simple per capita formula, the per capita of sin looks high on paper only.

Comment

it must also note that airports are also funded by the airlines that used it through landing fees, gate fees and a host of other fees and airlines are also charged for terminal use. Strictly on per capita, sin maybe one of the highest but it is not a true n accurate way to determine the real disposable income of the people - as bec sin govt have accumulated a huge amt of reserves n a small population - hence by simple per capita formula, the per capita of sin looks high on paper only.
                    Your statement is pretty off track. This island state do enjoy some very high standards of living for the lower-middle class onwards for Citizens, not to mention the fact that most Citizens do manage to pay for their homes using CPF.

From personal experience, I think we have one of the highest amount of disposable cash on hand already. Barring the mandatory 20% CPF (which is used for housing anyway), how much tax do most of us pay anyway? Citizens in almost all comparable countries pay much more taxes, higher interest rates for homes and all.

Note that I did not write subsidised homes as I feel HDB has veered off track.
                    Life's A Bitch,
                    Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

Originally posted by zxcvbn View Post
                      I do apologize. I realize that my last post was rather..weird.

I'm assuming that "some people" means CAAS. From my interpretation, SQalMundo is meaning to say that the cost of departure tax is way too expensive.

I'm saying that SIN needs $$$ to operate as well, and this $$$ comes from passengers. Higher operating costs = more $$$ = we pay more.
                      My take is simple. CAAS has done a fantastic job with Changi and S$30 is not too much a price to pay. At least we're not paying for an "Express Train" ala KL.

Besides, I don't remember many Airports charging that low for Airport taxes anyway.
                      Life's A Bitch,
                      Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

If you are comparing the costs of public transport between cities (like the recent exercise comparing with HK and London etc), your argument may carry some weight. Not as much with air transport however.

It makes little sense to expect airport taxes to be pegged to per capita income. Unlike local public transport, international airports compete between themselves across markets much wider in the geographic scale, and they must price themselves competitively to continue to attract airlines. Suppressing airport charges in the face of rising costs means airport taxes will have to rise to compensate. It is not as thou Changi is a KLIA or a Middle Eastern airport who are either desperate to attract business or can afford to keep margins low for a sustainable period.

The rise of the LCC market regardless, air transport, especially international ones, remains a means of transport for the privileged, and not for the ordinary man on the street. Airports are thus not "morally obliged" to price themselves for the masses the way local public transport are.

A straight forward comparison of air and land transport is like comparing apples and durians too.
                        Help make this article a better one!

Comment

Originally posted by inix View Post
                          Your statement is pretty off track. This island state do enjoy some very high standards of living for the lower-middle class onwards for Citizens, not to mention the fact that most Citizens do manage to pay for their homes using CPF.

From personal experience, I think we have one of the highest amount of disposable cash on hand already. Barring the mandatory 20% CPF (which is used for housing anyway), how much tax do most of us pay anyway? Citizens in almost all comparable countries pay much more taxes, higher interest rates for homes and all.

Note that I did not write subsidised homes as I feel HDB has veered off track.
                          Actually I find airport tax is a very "unfair" type of charges. For example. If you fly from Sydney to London and transit at Singapore (change plane or short stop over). You make use of airport facility but you do not pay for the airport tax !!

Comment

Originally posted by cscs1956 View Post
                            Actually I find airport tax is a very "unfair" type of charges. For example. If you fly from Sydney to London and transit at Singapore (change plane or short stop over). You make use of airport facility but you do not pay for the airport tax !!
                            No different to many others. Transit at KUL, AMS etc and you pay more tax if you stop than you do if you transit.

Comment

Working...
                            X